Sean freaking McDermott...let's offense just do what they do...

Hebert19

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

?

We punted on 4th and 7 from our own 48.

It was a 4th and 6. But it was 4th and 1 and we took an intentional delay of game. Point is, we weren't going to run the play if we couldn't get them to jump. We were also up big at the time so there was no reason to go for it.

3 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

We were up 24-7 at that time midway through the 3rd quarter. If we had no gotten that 4th and 1(a solid likelihood with our short yardage yesterday), we could have let the Titans back in the game by giving them a short field to make it 24-14 in the 3rd. We ended up punting, and it benefitted us after the fumble by getting an extra 3 points regardless. 

The only reason not to punt in that specific situation was to maintain a streak that in the grand scheme of things matters not a whit.

Punting was the right move there.  I don't really care for trying to draw the defense offside... that hardly ever works, and it's a time-waster, but at least they played it right by taking the delay penalty instead of wasting a timeout. 

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

When Champion Bills

hold their Buffalo Parade

You will still doubt him

Stuffing opponents

While scoring a lot ourselves

Is not Bad Coaching

Again, winning a SB matters. Does it mean he's Vince Lombard or Bill Belichik no, but it garners respect.

Also let's be serious here, this team is oozing with so much talent Rex Ryan or Doug Marrone would be in the same boat with this roster especially since both have been have also been to AFCCG's before and frankly did much better than McD's only trip there so far.

Barry Switzer also won a SB with the Dallas Cowboys, most casual fans probably don't even know who he is but it proves a point that talent can sometimes reign supreme.

Just sick of fans thinking McDermott is some messiah that should be worshipped here when it's really about Josh Allen being the main reason this franchise has turned around and that's on Beane if anything, not McD either. If McD is part of a SB winning team in Buffalo only an idiot would still criticize him afterwards.

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, BRH said:

The only reason not to punt in that specific situation was to maintain a streak that in the grand scheme of things matters not a whit.

Punting was the right move there.  I don't really care for trying to draw the defense offside... that hardly ever works, and it's a time-waster, but at least they played it right by taking the delay penalty instead of wasting a timeout. 

You have to admit, Josh is VERY good at drawing a defense Offside. He practically does so every game. 

1 minute ago, Tanoros said:

You have to admit, Josh is VERY good at drawing a defense Offside. He practically does so every game. 

And then when he does it, he gets right into the play instead of trying to draw the refs' attention to it.  I'm glad the coaches beat that little tic out of him.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Nah I'd have punted there. We were up by 20 I think. Give the Titans a short field and they score there suddenly you are unnecessarily in a ball game again. I thought punt and pin was the right call. And we ended up getting the ball back on the muff anyway!

McD is coaching 3D chess and Titans were playing checkers.  I bet the Titans didn't even practice their punt returns as they prepped for the Bills. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I worry that in the biggest of games when a QB calls his own plays? They don't always process in the heat of the moment. Kelly calling plays when concussed....Today, Bills routinely in "the Olympic medal rounds".  But to get an GOLD, you need that little edge that steady, smart, creative coach collaborating to call the events/plays brings.

Just now, FilthyBeast said:

Again, winning a SB matters. Does it mean he's Vince Lombard or Bill Belichik no, but it garners respect.

Also let's be serious here, this team is oozing with so much talent Rex Ryan or Doug Marrone would be in the same boat with this roster especially since both have been have also been to AFCCG's before and frankly did much better than McD's only trip there so far.

Barry Switzer also won a SB with the Dallas Cowboys, most casual fans probably don't even know who he is but it proves a point that talent can sometimes reign supreme.

Just sick of fans thinking McDermott is some messiah that should be worshipped here when it's really about Josh Allen being the main reason this franchise has turned around and that's on Beane if anything, not McD either. If McD is part of a SB winning team in Buffalo only an idiot would still criticize him afterwards.

We KNOW Rex would fk this team up. 2017’s defensive turn around is exhibit 1 for proof of that. 

McDermott is a GREAT coach and one of the best in the League. Football is the ultimate team sport, and no single player or coach will be enough to win it all. Conversely no single player or coach is perfect, and will consistently be perfect. To not be happy with McDermott is just ridiculous, the odds of getting coach better than McDermott is slim to none, because the odds are the next coach would be worse, besides McDermott and Beane’s chemistry isn’t something to disregard either. 

The way we are on the inside is greatly reflected in the way we express ourselves. Look at your posts and comments over the years, you are a VERY negative/see the worst in things kind of person. Why? Do you expect perfection and anything less upsets you? Your perspective is so far from most everyone else, and your very adamant about the way you feel. From my perspective, it feels forced. 

11 minutes ago, BRH said:

And then when he does it, he gets right into the play instead of trying to draw the refs' attention to it.  I'm glad the coaches beat that little tic out of him.

True. He just wants those free plays so bad! Josh has such a killer instinct. 

11 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

fans thinking McDermott is some messiah

McD in-game has some bad moments (has he ever won a challenge!?)

Beane brings the guys in (ala Josh, Miller)

McDermott gets almost all credit for an ecosystem and environment that allows FREE GROWN MEN to want to join, stay and be their best self. We've heard this a few times too.

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

?

We punted on 4th and 7 from our own 48.

I think we took a penalty to get to that point though, right? 

20 minutes ago, BRH said:

Sometime barking works.  There was no downside to doing it there.  And, at some point, someone will get complacent in that situation and we will sneak it for the first down. 

26 minutes ago, MJS said:

You people still exist?

We have the best team we have had in decades, maybe ever, have been murdering our opponents ruthlessly, and you continue to talk bad about the one man who started all of it? Just incredible.

He is a good coach, McDermott deserves a lot of credit, but his major flaw is his game day management. It cost us the KC game last year, and a few others before in previous seasons. Sometimes good isn't good enough. Do you think he would call an onside kick such as Sean Payton in a Super Bowl? Our talent is the best in the league IMO. All it takes is one wrong decision to end a season when it counts. I just remember the look of Allan on the bench after the KC game, you could see it in his eyes and face. Don't tell me he wasn't thinking the same thing. How did we just lose this game with 13 seconds left. Every game day decision he makes is a grade. Including every other decision maker on the team. Sometimes talent can overcome those, but once in awhile it does not. You can call me whatever for bringing it up after last nights game. They whooped them, however the game was on the line still and he whiffed big time. You want to see how it affected the team? Look at the next play, disaster. It has a trickle down affect. They overcame it, but when the teams are better as the games count more,  one and done, the pressure and stress mounts, you want a guy making THE decision to know what he needs to do, and not crack. He did last year and he hasn't proven he can yet. I want him to, he deserves it. You are what you are at a certain point. We will see. I like the wins in the regular season they add up, I want to be cheering my team on a parade when its over not being pissed off for  another stupid decision

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, Process said:

The punt on 4th and 1 from the 50 was really bad. But in general McD is good in those situations.

Why would you give the Titans a possible surge in momentum when your defense has been playing great and you are up by 20?

That not only good coaching, it's common sense coaching.

3 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Truthfully, I had the opposite take on his 4th down decisions last night. 

You have a human cheat code at QB operating one of the best offenses in the league. If you have a 4th and 1 on the opponents side of the field you should almost always be trying to convert it. It shouldn't require the QB to wave at the sidelines to convince the head coach of that. 

Why are we bothering with these shenanigans trying to draw the opponent offside? 

It's backfired on us a number of times. Including our failed 4th and 1 attempt where Shakir didn't react after the ball was snapped. It looked like the offense wasn't ready to run a play (presumably b/c McDermott didn't want them to run a play - just try to get Titans to jump). This also happened in the Steelers game last year.

It's not just 4th downs.  It's the fact that he let's josh be josh.  He hasn't tried to change him even when D is balling.  My 4th down reference is more how on the beginning I think he kicked 90 percent of the time.  Now he's like 40.  Think playoffs last year.  He just kept going for it. 

21 minutes ago, boater said:

Your point?

must have lost money on a "no punt" bet is my guess.  Bills were up by 17 at this point so no reason not to punt.

1 minute ago, ganesh said:

Still I am sure Josh would have wanted to go for it, 

Josh will want to go for it on 4th and goal from his own 1 yard line.

Edited by The Wiz

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.