Bills at Dolphins 1989

Buffalo03

Continuing on with posting old Bills games against our upcoming opponent. This week I chose Bills at Dolphins from week 1 of 1989. I was only 3 years old when this game was played so I have no memory of watching it live, I have watched this game once before because of how it ends. The Bills are driving near the end and Kelly runs it in for the TD in the closing seconds as time expires for the win and the team mobbing him at the goal line. After hearing about this growing up and seeing the highlights on TV and the iconic ending, I watched it for myself years ago and this has to be one of the most memorable endings to a game in the team's history. The old timers should have something to say about this one. If you have a memory to share, feel free to comment. Also, the first few seconds of this video are garbled up but it clears up and is fine. Enjoy on victory Tuesday. Go Bills!!!

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I obviously loved the outcome of this game, but going into the game, the Bills were light years better than the Dolphins and a prohibitive favorite in this game.

The way the Bills played this whole game was a major disappointment and a microcosm to what would be the "Bickering Bills" in 1989.

They got lucky to get a win in this game, but a great outcome nonetheless.

• Agree 1

One of my favorite games as a kid.  I remember watching it down the street at a friend's house (in Depew) between playing tackle football in his front yard.  All of us boys huddling around the tv and going bonkers when Kelly dove in for the win.  Immediately ran outside again and recreated the moment on the lawn.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, tomdayfan said:

I was at that game, and sitting in the upper deck at that end of the stadium, so we had the perfect view of Kelly's run. There have been more significant Bills-Dolphins games over the years, like the playoff wins and the end of "the streak", but this is still my favorite.

Last week I did Titans at Bills week 1 of 2000 which was the first game of the drought and I was gonna do week 17 of 2017 for this game since that was the day the drought ended but I feel like this game was more exciting, particularly the ending and Kelly vs Marino was always great

I remember this one. I would've been about seven years old. I recall my dad and my grandpa talking about how it was like "When they finally beat the Fish!" and I had no idea about the 1970s dominance Miami had over Buffalo at that time. So I always thought this game was some monumental victory because it was the game where they finally beat the Fish! But that was two years before I was born with ol' Fergie. 

6 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

One of my favorite games as a kid.  I remember watching it down the street at a friend's house (in Depew) between playing tackle football in his front yard.  All of us boys huddling around the tv and going bonkers when Kelly dove in for the win.  Immediately ran outside again and recreated the moment on the lawn.

I have similar memories like this growing up in WNY in the Fall was the absolute best

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.