Week 3 injury updates

YoloinOhio

45 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

So with phillips and Oliver being out the only other dts on the depth chart are settle and jones

.so that means 0 rotation and hoping they both can play 100% of the defensive snaps?

That's assuming Settle is playing. Considering he never got a Full Practice in the whole week, he could very easily be out as well.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

They just dressed 9 DL against the Titans, and I see us doing it again.

Bryant and Brewer needed on early down rotations, and can see us occasionally sliding Groot or Boogie inside on obvious passing situations.

Agree on the 3 PS call ups, that is a bit concerning. But cross that bridge when needed. They have options (ie: cut Shaq, although not ideal, you could try sneaking him onto the PS) and fingers crossed that the DTs can stay healthy for the remainder of season.

With Hyde and Jackson out and Poyer banged up I would have thought they would consider a DB to get elevated this week.

Cam Lewis was sitting for an extra DL last week, now he will be dressing.

I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

This injury report basically says Josh will have to produce more points then Tua as don’t expect many stops on defense. Going to have play soft cover 2 and not gamble. So Tua has to nickel and dime his way down the field. So Josh will have to make his possessions count. He’s done it before. 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Like (+1) 2

The injuries stink but the good news is that the Bills will still be lining up with professional football players.  Miami doesn’t get to play against air!

The Bills still have #17 and some good offensive players. So they may have to win by out scoring Miami which is very doable. 

17 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

This injury report basically says Josh will have to produce more points then Tua as don’t expect many stops on defense. Going to have play soft cover 2 and not gamble. So Tua has to nickel and dime his way down the field. So Josh will have to make his possessions count. He’s done it before. 

Umm, a bunch have been denigrating the need for a running game. 
    Grinding out the clock is a useful way to keep opposing offenses off the field. 

19 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

They are not exactly lining up a junior varsity defense against the Dolphins...

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

They are not exactly lining up a junior varsity defense against the Dolphins...

I think people will be pleasantly surprised by this defense on Sunday. 

Jaquan Johnson is a guy who it seems everyone in the building has said is ready to start.  

Elam is a RD1 pick for a reason. 

Benford looks like a legitimate late round stud. 

Being down our DT’s isn’t ideal, but Miami isn’t a heavy run team and we likely see plenty of 3 DE pass rush looks on passing downs. 

The top end talent that is still out there.. Von Miller, Greg Rousseau, Matt Milano, Tremaine Edmunds and Taron Johnson.  

I’ll put that five up against Xavien Howard, Jevon Holland, Christian Wilkins, Emmanuel Ogbah and Jaelen Phillips.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gene1973 said:

Oliver must have a high ankle sprain if it's taking this long. It will bother him most of the season.

I wish he didn’t go back in during the Rams game. He probably further aggravated it because he was out after two plays. I don’t think it’s more than a common sprain, but since he’s not 100%, the Bills are giving him the full time he needs to recover. It’s a long season.

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Is there a defense where Elam can play man to man on Hill, while we zone cover Waddle with Benford/Lewis and Jaquan over the top? 

Cover five shell no LBs (okay Milano can play)  lol

let the D line eat Tua. D Jones and Settle can stop the run when they cannot pass

😉

1 hour ago, chongli said:

I wish for a solid recovery for all these players injured. It's a difficult situation for them. I'm officially depressed. 

Great opportunity for players who already get reps but not starters
 Frazier and McD need to call a good game but I am ready to be pleasantly surprised with the secondary overall.
Sure a few slip ups will occur, but hoping to balance hat with a few takeaways !
Up to the D line to help out the Kids out back and make Tua wizz himself early and often

Von  Gregg Boogie ya feel me ?

Edited by 3rdand12
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Reading the responses it is middle of the road to believe:

Josh Allen will be able to throw all over the Fins defense Jjackson did and Allen is a better QB. 

The Fins OL can be beaten by our veteran and consistent pressure. They upgraded but not everything in the off-season helped their O. 

Tua can't play 4Q worth of quality football. This means if he only plays 2Q at a high level it's hard to imagine more than 14 pts in a Q.

-no team scored more than 17 on us last year in 1 Q.

---TB, Pitt, and someone else did... We lost those games. Indy only got to 14 in a Q

So scoring 3 TD's in a Q means we sunk to a significant level and I just can't see it.

2 Q of the game has 6 possessions at best for either team - I can't see the Bills allowing more than 2 tuddies in a Q. 

We are capable of scoring twice every quarter. We can control the ball and clock, and run without Josh being the hero.

Average game has no more than 18 possessions. If we can score on 1/3 of those with TD's that's 21 points... I think we need 24 to beat them.

11 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Is there a defense where Elam can play man to man on Hill, while we zone cover Waddle with Benford/Lewis and Jaquan over the top? 

Was wondering if we may see an aggressive gameplan given all the injuries and the fact that harassing Tua will be the name of the game. 

Elam played press man primarily at Florida.  It’s why he’s taken some time to learn the zone aspects we play.

If we’re looking at forcing Tua off quick reads, I wonder if allowing Elam to do some of that against Hill/Waddle (with help over the top) wouldn’t be an interesting wrinkle to throw out there preventing free releases and forcing Tua to hold the ball a beat longer / not allow rhythm throws. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, SCBills said:

Was wondering if we may see an aggressive gameplan given all the injuries and the fact that harassing Tua will be the name of the game. 

Elam played press man primarily at Florida.  It’s why he’s taken some time to learn the zone aspects we play.

If we’re looking at forcing Tua off quick reads, I wonder if allowing Elam to do some of that against Hill/Waddle (with help over the top) wouldn’t be an interesting wrinkle to throw out there preventing free releases and forcing Tua to hold the ball a beat longer / not allow rhythm throws. 

Press play and force the quick throws.
More worried about longer developing pass plays. I think we agree .

But still no one over the top. Those two guys are fast and maybe elite

7 hours ago, SCBills said:

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

Press play and force the quick throws.
More worried about longer developing pass plays. I think we agree .

But still no one over the top. Those two guys are fast and maybe elite

I think the defense this week goes how the Dline goes. This is where I believe the investiment in the Dline and the rotation philosophy pays dividends. If they continue to get good pressure with four, it will be a longer day for Tua than what many people think. His only real strengths are getting the ball out quickly and his accuracy in the short to intermediate range. As a consequence, he does pretty well when blitzed but not so well when he faces pressure from four.

Pressure with four, good tackling, and keep the big plays to a minimum. Hill and Waddle will make plays here and there because of their speed and quickness. The ***Pats actually did a good job of giving them some yards, but not the big plays (with the exception of the one TD catch by Waddle that was pretty much all YAC).

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.