Week 3 injury updates

YoloinOhio

This may sound daft considering how our defense has been hit but the one I’m most worried about missing out is Knox. Elam, Benford, Johnson, Lewis and Kumerow have shown they can do a job in the absence of the others, with the defensive players having the support of those on the line.

If we lose Knox we’ll be relying on Sweeney to step up.

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

This may sound daft considering how our defense has been hit but the one I’m most worried about missing out is Knox. Elam, Benford, Johnson, Lewis and Kumerow have shown they can do a job in the absence of the others, with the defensive players having the support of those on the line.

If we lose Knox we’ll be relying on Sweeney to step up.

Nah, they’d use Morris and Gilliam most likely. 

So what are we looking at on this comically injured defense?..

EDGE: Von, Rousseau, AJ, Boogie, Shaq

DT: Jones, Settle, Bryant, Brewer

LB: Edmunds, Milano

Slot: Johnson

CB: Elam, Benford

S: Johnson, Hamlin

(because why would anyone assume Poyer plays at this point) 

Going to need Von and company to be a wrecking crew. 

• Agree 1

Big early season test - not just against a strong division foe, but to see how deep we are & if we can overcome this kind of adversity, on the road.

This is the kind of thing that can build a team's championship mettle.  I have a ton of faith in the depth we have, and in our coaching.

On 9/21/2022 at 9:18 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s interesting how the main argument this offseason was about spending too much on DT depth and not enough on WR depth. Both have been tested early this season.

Kumerow did just enough to justify being that 3rd outside WR. The thing we’ve yet to see is if Davis could be WR1 if Diggs ever were to miss a game.

Kumerow is a WR in the Robert Woods mold.  Frequently you can see him in game using his size to shield other WRs or in blocking for WRs and backs.

Josh trusts him just like Aaron Rodgers did and that is good enough for me.

Terron Armstead not playing is probably the biggest single injury for either team and he was DNP all week but still listed as questionable in the final report. The cluster injuries for the Bills are, of course, how great teams are brought down. But, if I had to pick a place for a Frazier/McD defense to be hit with them it would be the secondary, and I still don't think Miami will be able to run the ball even with Phillips and Oliver out. 

2 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

So with phillips and Oliver being out the only other dts on the depth chart are settle and jones

.so that means 0 rotation and hoping they both can play 100% of the defensive snaps?

Bryant and Brewer will be active, just like they were last game when Ed and Settle were out

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, SCBills said:

They can't dress 9 DLs.  The have to go with the 5 healthy DEs and some will have to substitute in at DT.

Miami doesn't have a bruiser back like the Titans, so I see no problem with that.

That means (if Settle is a go) they only need to call up one for DT. 

I've said this before (and no one really commented about it) a team can only call up the PS guys 3 times in a season.

Whoever gets the nod will have been used twice already!!

It's an important divisional game so I would go with Bryant.

22 minutes ago, SCBills said:

LB: Edmunds, Milano

Slot: Johnson

CB: Elam, Benford

S: Johnson, Hamlin

(because why would anyone assume Poyer plays at this point) 

Going to need Von and company to be a wrecking crew. 

I wonder if they'll move Basham to the inside, since they're more concerned with pass than run?

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

I wonder if they'll move Basham to the inside, since they're more concerned with pass than run?

I’d definitely go with a lot of Rousseau or Basham at DT on passing downs, as well as sending Edmunds on a blitz or replace.

This game is going to be all about hitting Tua. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

They can't dress 9 DLs.  The have to go with the 5 healthy DEs and some will have to substitute in at DT.

Miami doesn't have a bruiser back like the Titans, so I see no problem with that.

That means (if Settle is a go) they only need to call up one for DT. 

I've said this before (and no one really commented about it) a team can only call up the PS guys 3 times in a season.

Whoever gets the nod will have been used twice already!!

It's an important divisional game so I would go with Bryant.

They just dressed 9 DL against the Titans, and I see us doing it again.

Bryant and Brewer needed on early down rotations, and can see us occasionally sliding Groot or Boogie inside on obvious passing situations.

Agree on the 3 PS call ups, that is a bit concerning. But cross that bridge when needed. They have options (ie: cut Shaq, although not ideal, you could try sneaking him onto the PS) and fingers crossed that the DTs can stay healthy for the remainder of season.

• Agree 1

Injury report looking ugly. Hopefully everyone has a chance to be back next week besides Jordan Phillips. This game has its own challenges, but we play two physical teams afterwards in Baltimore and Pitt followed by a matchup with KC before the buy. Losing Jordan and Ed hurts as they have been impactful when on the field. If the Bills get out of Miami with a W it will be the definition of a true team win!

Really hoping for the best with Micah’s injury.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.