Other than some injuries, is there anything NOT to like about last night?!?

zow2

1 hour ago, Heavy Kevi said:

Yeah, I mean.... Take the final score out of the equation, and the offense looked out of sorts for most of the first half.

Especially that first quarter, the team looked incredibly average. Josh made some hasty decisions, even had a couple "hero ball" moments with a near fumble and a sack. Trying to break the game open.

At the end of the first, when McD spoke to the team, they seed to calm down and execute better.

Once halftime happened, though... Sheer domination. But if we have a bad quarter or half against some better teams we might get behind on the scoreboard. The Titans can't score at will, but some of our AFC competitors can.

But overall a very enjoyable dismantling of a team we've had trouble with recently. Was very happy to see them shut down Henry, and nice also to see the LBs make a big impact on the game. Also, rookie schmookie when it comes to corners. Even after Dane got hurt, Elam and Benford played really well overall.

The Bills went into the half 17 to 7. I'm not sure your argument holds a lot of water. Maybe you can say the 1st quarter was more even, but by the 2nd quarter they were beginning to run away with the game.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Just being picky here because overall it was a great performance 

1. Wasted challenge by McD

2. Too many penalties

3. Failed 4th and 1 looked disorganized - Allen or McD should have called TO
4. Too much shotgun on 3rd and 1

5. Cook and Shakir have a long way to go

The 4th and 1 shakir just completely whiffed the block…if he at least gets in the way a little that play probably works

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, wjag said:

Shakir didn’t wow. Missed block on 4th and 1.  Dropped a pass that he seemed to catch in preseason. 

1st game jitters I think.   More worried about Cook, actually.  He seems to only be able to run through clean holes on the boundaries.  Haven't seen him break tackles, etc. yet.  Clearly the 3rd RB right now.  

39 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

A few things:

1. Whatever the reason the challenge was an awful challenge. Obvious catch. 

2. The short yardage plays. It was a combination of factors. There were a couple that were just plain bad execution by the players, the 4th and 1 first Qrtr where they were messed up from the start and Shakir whiffed, the 3rd and 1 2nd Qrtr where Josh had Kumerow wide open and just missed, but there were a couple where the play calling was a little off too. 

3. Shakir looked a little overwhelmed at times, not just on that missed block and the drop which (while not a well thrown ball) he should have had but also his route running from the TV angle he looked like he struggled to get any separation. I still have a ton of confidence in the kid long term, but he is a rookie 5th rounder and we have to remind ourselves of that. 

4. James Cook still doesn't look as explosive to my eye as I expected him to. He had the one nice run on the sweep for 33 yards, but that was more just a well called and well blocked play than anything he particularly did. Otherwise it was 10 carries for 20 yards. I know the blocking wasn't great and on that long run he did look like he was moving when up to full speed but that initial explosion is the part I have been a tad disappointed with so far. 

5. Jake Kumerow is our outside WR depth. I don't wanna bang on Jake because he had a nice game. Excellent move on Caleb Farley who was a first round pick a year ago for the long reception on the outside. Fair play to him. But it was a banged up set of Titans corners, missing their #1 guy in Fulton. My concern all offseason was our depth at outside receiver and I said "I think Kumerow is their guy." Others argued he wasn't but evidence through two games is pretty clear. Kumerow is the next man up. So far so good, but still call me nervous should Gabe's issue linger or should we lose he or Stef at any stage for a more prolonged period. Jake can get you through a game or two. Can he play 4,5,6 games straight and perform at a high enough level for a contender? I hope we don't have to find out. 

But I should stress that overall there were FAR more positives than negatives. The main concern for me is the injury situation. Hope that clears up soon. 

Agree with this.  Cook's explosion and elusiveness seems to be lacking.  Perhaps it's just not there?  Shakir should be fine, as you said, he's a rookie, 1st game.  We have a great WR room and coach.  

I'm not as down on Kumerow being the next guy up, but as you stated, what if an injury lingers or another WR gets hurt.  We are not deep there.  

We also lost the coin toss, again.  Just pick tails all year or something.  

Overall, great game.  Even better when you think of who we were missing: 2 pro-bowl level players (White/Oliver); our top backup CB (Jackson), #2 WR (Davis), and likely #2 DT or main part of the rotation (Settle).  Just unreal.  Everyone on the D was on fire against the run.  Liked seeing Benford early in the game shed a blocker and bring down Henry.  Seemed to set the tone.   

• Like (+1) 2

I know this is the every silver lining has a cloud thread, but on the optimistic side:

- time for Shakir’s fans to pump the brakes a bit. It was his first real game action, and it showed. But it’s way too soon to write him off as a potential weapon this year. 
- Cook: same thing. Dorsey wouldn’t be trying to work him into the mix if he wasn’t showing some real skills in practice. They will find the plays that work for him, and he will have an impact before the season is over. 
- Moss: we are getting spoiled here. A good, hard runner. Probably not exactly the kind of complement to Singletary that would work best for us, but I’m confident he too will have his moments

- Kumerow: I thought he filled in beautifully. Nice to have this guy on your bench as well as on special teams. 

Need to see more creativity with Mckenzie, especially when we need to get some sustained drives to burn some clock.

Wasn't a huge deal with the Titans offense getting back on field with taking no time off clock, but we seen it how many times this weekend alone, how easy teams can erase leads.  Unless they are 1 yard screen passes, I really don't need to see three passes when burning clock helps everyone.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Agree with this.  Cook's explosion and elusiveness seems to be lacking.  Perhaps it's just not there?  Shakir should be fine, as you said, he's a rookie, 1st game.  We have a great WR room and coach.  

I'm not as down on Kumerow being the next guy up, but as you stated, what if an injury lingers or another WR gets hurt.  We are not deep there.  

We also lost the coin toss, again.  Just pick tails all year or something.  

Overall, great game.  Even better when you think of who we were missing: 2 pro-bowl level players (White/Oliver); our top backup CB (Jackson), #2 WR (Davis), and likely #2 DT or main part of the rotation (Settle).  Just unreal.  Everyone on the D was on fire against the run.  Liked seeing Benford early in the game shed a blocker and bring down Henry.  Seemed to set the tone.   

Nailed it.  

Adding on, this ONE WR injury points out what a lot of us have been saying, the illusion of WR depth all off season was/is a joke, there is none.  It’s Diggs and a bunch of nobodies.  Kumero exceeded my expectations, good game.

I stand by my original statement of Cook being a wasted 2nd round pick, he may be fine, but it was a bad pick for value, need and just the flat out obvious, the scouts on this team don’t know what a RB looks like. 

Really good game overall. Was really happy to see them stop selling out on the run after the first series and magically they were good all night.

3 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Sure thing, since we ran out of them so fast. Challenges like timeouts, are a tool to use when you need them.

There have been times when we needed them and were out bc of stupid usage.  You don’t know when wasting one will cost you a game.

1 hour ago, Behindenemylines said:

On the series after the fumble recovery where we kicked the field goal it appeared as if there was no urgency to score.  Felt like the energy faded away and everyone was at 75%.  

My wife commented that Allen seemed out of it a bit. 

anyone else notice it?

Said the same thing two posts above......  Yep no urgency and probably still miffed that they punted (bad third down call).😡 

Seemed they made a conscious effort not to have Josh running vs. Tenn.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

A few things:

1. Whatever the reason the challenge was an awful challenge. Obvious catch. 

2. The short yardage plays. It was a combination of factors. There were a couple that were just plain bad execution by the players, the 4th and 1 first Qrtr where they were messed up from the start and Shakir whiffed, the 3rd and 1 2nd Qrtr where Josh had Kumerow wide open and just missed, but there were a couple where the play calling was a little off too. 

3. Shakir looked a little overwhelmed at times, not just on that missed block and the drop which (while not a well thrown ball) he should have had but also his route running from the TV angle he looked like he struggled to get any separation. I still have a ton of confidence in the kid long term, but he is a rookie 5th rounder and we have to remind ourselves of that. 

4. James Cook still doesn't look as explosive to my eye as I expected him to. He had the one nice run on the sweep for 33 yards, but that was more just a well called and well blocked play than anything he particularly did. Otherwise it was 10 carries for 20 yards. I know the blocking wasn't great and on that long run he did look like he was moving when up to full speed but that initial explosion is the part I have been a tad disappointed with so far. 

5. Jake Kumerow is our outside WR depth. I don't wanna bang on Jake because he had a nice game. Excellent move on Caleb Farley who was a first round pick a year ago for the long reception on the outside. Fair play to him. But it was a banged up set of Titans corners, missing their #1 guy in Fulton. My concern all offseason was our depth at outside receiver and I said "I think Kumerow is their guy." Others argued he wasn't but evidence through two games is pretty clear. Kumerow is the next man up. So far so good, but still call me nervous should Gabe's issue linger or should we lose he or Stef at any stage for a more prolonged period. Jake can get you through a game or two. Can he play 4,5,6 games straight and perform at a high enough level for a contender? I hope we don't have to find out. 

But I should stress that overall there were FAR more positives than negatives. The main concern for me is the injury situation. Hope that clears up soon. 

Of the last 11 plays excluding kneel downs - 10 were runs by Cook.  They shuffled some of the oline a bit there at the end too.  I'm more interested in seeing what he's capable of in spot duty mid-game.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Isn't Ike our normal backup C?

So it has been Ryan Bates. I was slightly surprised they didn't slide Bates in put Van Roten in at guard. I know that is the old "changing two positions" and that coaches generally like to avoid that but Van Roten has been a guard most of his career. I'm not sure how many snaps he has taken in regular season games at center before. But Josh's coordination and hands helped him out hugely. 

Ike is on PUP and has played bits of center in pre-season for us in the past but he is mainly a guard. 

Very hard to poke holes in last nights game.. my two cents: thought they came into the game pretty jacked up (josh specifically) a few plays he'd definitely like back. The pass to kumerow into the turf and the Option play he kept.

Also would have been nice to get Mckenzie involved and Shakir some targets from JA. Also wish Shakir had put up the block on that option I mentioned above.. Ruined the whole play.

3 hours ago, zow2 said:

It's easy to praise everyone and everything about this team right now...but for fun, i was trying to find some things to nitpick.  Anyone see anything? 

I think it was 24-7, then the muffed punt.  I was expecting Buffalo to pound the rock, kill some time and score.  Instead, Allen passed three straight times and had two knocked down at the line and they settled for a FG.  It was a very rushed series and not a smart series of plays.  That's about all i could find.

Yes- Zack Moss. 

I went into this season hopeful that Zack Moss would make a Motor like jump going into year 3.  After 2 games, my hope has dwindled.  The only time I hope to see him carry the ball is in the 4th (or 3rd) quarter of a blowout.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Pretty much this. 

Bit of a segue on #5 that our run game was atrocious. We padded the stats in garbage time, but I believe midway through the 3rd we had 16 yards rushing on 8 rushing plays by our RBs (JA had a legendary 10 yard scramble in the 1st). Singletary started the game with a 16 yard run, then our next 7 rushing attempts amounted to 0 yards. 

1 hour ago, Process said:

Sloppy first half again. Running game stinks.

The running game was bad. That said, Tenn is tough to run on and was bizarrely selling out to stop the run. But we regressed from week 1. We had a lot better run calls in week 1.  And we really need Cook to get going running the ball—can’t keep Him in the dog house forever. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.