Other than some injuries, is there anything NOT to like about last night?!?

zow2

Short yardage definitely needs to be worked on. Say what you will about Tom Brady, but that guy used to convert like 98% of his 1 yard first downs by just plowing forward and Josh is bigger than he is and the Bills line usually gets a decent push. That we struggle so much in those situations and never seem to have Josh push it successfully is a puzzling to me - we should be able to get damn near automatic in those situations.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

If I'm being super critical, still think it wasn't the cleanest game from the Bills. Could clean up the penalties and thought there was some situational football that could have been better. 

Saying all that, to make mistakes and still demolish a team tells you how good of a team this is. I think they'll need to clean those issues up with the upcoming games.

• Agree 1

I thought the Bills looked pretty mortal through the first quarter or so. It was kind of nice to see them being challenged by the Titans D, after they had their way with the Rams. We saw that they can just keep at it, move the chains and put up points even when they're not getting everything they want. 

51 minutes ago, junior said:

For those talking about the challenge... Whoever controls the videos that are replayed on the big screen failed McD. That one's not on him. They only showed one view on the screen and you couldn't tell from it whether or not the second foot came down. McDermott waited til the absolute last second to throw the flag and you could tell he was very hesitant to throw it. 

Don't most teams have a dedicated person to watch all broadcasts/replays to determine when to challenge? It's an embarrassment if our process is to rely on our head coach to watch an in-stadium replay on a jumbotron. What if we're on the road and they deliberately don't show a replay on a big play that would be overturned? 

I'm hoping McDermott was using it as an extended timeout....which is still pretty lame (defensive timeout that the offense converts anyway). 

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Just being picky here because overall it was a great performance 

1. Wasted challenge by McD

2. Too many penalties

3. Failed 4th and 1 looked disorganized - Allen or McD should have called TO
4. Too much shotgun on 3rd and 1

5. Cook and Shakir have a long way to go

Pretty much this. 

Bit of a segue on #5 that our run game was atrocious. We padded the stats in garbage time, but I believe midway through the 3rd we had 16 yards rushing on 8 rushing plays by our RBs (JA had a legendary 10 yard scramble in the 1st). Singletary started the game with a 16 yard run, then our next 7 rushing attempts amounted to 0 yards. 

• Agree 1

A few things:

1. Whatever the reason the challenge was an awful challenge. Obvious catch. 

2. The short yardage plays. It was a combination of factors. There were a couple that were just plain bad execution by the players, the 4th and 1 first Qrtr where they were messed up from the start and Shakir whiffed, the 3rd and 1 2nd Qrtr where Josh had Kumerow wide open and just missed, but there were a couple where the play calling was a little off too. 

3. Shakir looked a little overwhelmed at times, not just on that missed block and the drop which (while not a well thrown ball) he should have had but also his route running from the TV angle he looked like he struggled to get any separation. I still have a ton of confidence in the kid long term, but he is a rookie 5th rounder and we have to remind ourselves of that. 

4. James Cook still doesn't look as explosive to my eye as I expected him to. He had the one nice run on the sweep for 33 yards, but that was more just a well called and well blocked play than anything he particularly did. Otherwise it was 10 carries for 20 yards. I know the blocking wasn't great and on that long run he did look like he was moving when up to full speed but that initial explosion is the part I have been a tad disappointed with so far. 

5. Jake Kumerow is our outside WR depth. I don't wanna bang on Jake because he had a nice game. Excellent move on Caleb Farley who was a first round pick a year ago for the long reception on the outside. Fair play to him. But it was a banged up set of Titans corners, missing their #1 guy in Fulton. My concern all offseason was our depth at outside receiver and I said "I think Kumerow is their guy." Others argued he wasn't but evidence through two games is pretty clear. Kumerow is the next man up. So far so good, but still call me nervous should Gabe's issue linger or should we lose he or Stef at any stage for a more prolonged period. Jake can get you through a game or two. Can he play 4,5,6 games straight and perform at a high enough level for a contender? I hope we don't have to find out. 

But I should stress that overall there were FAR more positives than negatives. The main concern for me is the injury situation. Hope that clears up soon. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

A few things:

1. Whatever the reason the challenge was an awful challenge. Obvious catch. 

2. The short yardage plays. It was a combination of factors. There were a couple that were just plain bad execution by the players, the 4th and 1 first Qrtr where they were messed up from the start and Shakir whiffed, the 3rd and 1 2nd Qrtr where Josh had Kumerow wide open and just missed, but there were a couple where the play calling was a little off too. 

3. Shakir looked a little overwhelmed at times, not just on that missed block and the drop which (while not a well thrown ball) he should have had but also his route running from the TV angle he looked like he struggled to get any separation. I still have a ton of confidence in the kid long term, but he is a rookie 5th rounder and we have to remind ourselves of that. 

4. James Cook still doesn't look as explosive to my eye as I expected him to. He had the one nice run on the sweep for 33 yards, but that was more just a well called and well blocked play than anything he particularly did. Otherwise it was 10 carries for 20 yards. I know the blocking wasn't great and on that long run he did look like he was moving when up to full speed but that initial explosion is the part I have been a tad disappointed with so far. 

5. Jake Kumerow is our outside WR depth. I don't wanna bang on Jake because he had a nice game. Excellent move on Caleb Farley who was a first round pick a year ago for the long reception on the outside. Fair play to him. But it was a banged up set of Titans corners, missing their #1 guy in Fulton. My concern all offseason was our depth at outside receiver and I said "I think Kumerow is their guy." Others argued he wasn't but evidence through two games is pretty clear. Kumerow is the next man up. So far so good, but still call me nervous should Gabe's issue linger or should we lose he or Stef at any stage for a more prolonged period. Jake can get you through a game or two. Can he play 4,5,6 games straight and perform at a high enough level for a contender? I hope we don't have to find out. 

But I should stress that overall there were FAR more positives than negatives. The main concern for me is the injury situation. Hope that clears up soon. 

Before the game got out of hand, the Titans DL was manhandling our OL.  It was like 3 years of deja vu playing the Titans.

I think that made everybody a little more skittish, including Josh.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Before the game got out of hand, the Titans DL was manhandling our OL.  It was like 3 years of deja vu playing the Titans.

I think that made everybody a little more skittish, including Josh.

Yea - particularly on the interior and particularly while Morse was out. 

Should have added Greg Van Roten's snapping to my list of concerns. Man they were an adventure. How Josh managed to corral some of those snaps was something of a miracle. With someone with less outstanding coordination and / or smaller hands we would have had multiple botched snaps while he was in the game. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea - particularly on the interior and particularly while Morse was out. 

Should have added Greg Van Roten's snapping to my list of concerns. Man they were an adventure. How Josh managed to corral some of those snaps was something of a miracle. With someone with less outstanding coordination and / or smaller hands we would have had multiple botched snaps while he was in the game. 

Isn't Ike our normal backup C?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.