688 games started by our own draft picks since 2017

BillsFan619

That's a really awesome stat. They've fully stuck to their mantra of "draft > develop > extend." Also, I think it gets glossed over sometimes but ownership deserves credit for hiring these guys and then completely stepping aside to let them run the show. They also realized that it all needed to be torn down back in 2017. Year after year we saw them spin their tires in the mud. Didn't matter the coach or GM when the team building was always just patching things up to try and contend only to be the definition of mid for almost 20 years. Credit to them for allowing Beane and McDermott to come in and really wipe the slate clean.

And stats like these are also why I always just SMH whenever someone tries to criticize Beane. If I finished the comment right there I would surely get a response about, "Wellll, I mean... Zay Jones and Cody Ford..." blah blah frickin' blah. No GM has a perfect batting average. There are going to be some misses. But, ya know, nobody really cares when someone strikes out once or twice after they've blasted the last ten pitches over the fence.

They've also given second contracts to at least one player from each of their draft classes (sans 2020 and 2021 of course). Tre, Dawkins, and Milano all got re-upped. Josh from 2018 and we'll see on Tremaine (I'm hopeful), and then Knox got re-signed this year with Ed likely up next. I can't remember any previous time in my 32 years as a Bills fan where that's happened. Fairly certain Gabe Davis is gonna get a bag so that'd be at least one from 2020 and then I really think Groot is gonna be something special, really feels like something is brewing there with that kid, so I anticipate him getting a fat deal in the next four years.

37 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

14 out of 22 starters plus 2 more rotational defensive linemen on the best roster in football all drafted or signed as an UDFA by Beane. Wonder how that compares to the rest of the GMs.

Teams that change GMs a lot, like we did in the drought era (5 GMs from 2000 thru 2016), would never be able to get this stability.  It takes a well run organization, all on the same plan, and with a singular plan.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.