It's Miami Week...Squish The Fish!!!!!

eball

6 minutes ago, uninja said:

I will say that the Phins gave the Bills some issues last year in their second match up. They’re prolly looking at that game tape for scheme strategies. We also saw both the Rams and the Titans able to keep things close in the first half. 

What we’ve seen so far is that DCs have schemes that slow the Bills down, but as soon as they big brain football themselves into a tendency or weakness they spot in the other teams defense…it’s all over. 

One other thing that seems different so far this season, is on both sides of the ball, the traditional Billsy tendency of getting whacked in the 3rd quarter after adjustments are made, has actually been flipped. Both Rams and Titans mainly hung with the Bills for the first half, but got terminated in the third quarter. See Allen's catchphrase of "not being a guy who gets figured out, but being a guy who figures it out." Looks like the coaches have adopted that as well?

To take a tangent off the above, Allen is finally reaching the game-experience point of figuring it out on the fly and being a sub-coach on-field, showing ability to attack defenses on his own beyond play design. Cases include ad-libbing Diggs to the 9 route past Ramsey, or the throwback TD to Diggs against the Titans. I mean, on the latter, I figured that was a pick. The cameraman didn't even think it was possible to make that throw and by the time they panned down I saw nothing but white jerseys until 14 popped out of the mess with the ball. On-script, on-platform, or off-script, off-platform, it's all the same: the ball is going where it needs to go to succeed.

That should prove to be the most stark difference in the game and what gives me the most hope for the Bills. Allen is how many years in the EP offense now? He knows where his answers are as well as the play designers do. We see him go down multiple reads every series. I haven't seen that yet in Tua, in his 3rd game with the MM zone-spread offense. He's been mainly executing the first-read and attacking wide within 10 yards, with some infrequent second reads or off-platform stuff. Credit him on the Cracroft score last week, it was good work to extend the play. But basically, I don't believe he's been in that offense long enough to know his answers consistently when the first read is closed off, and I do believe the Bills coaches will be able to scheme away the first read at least some of the time. I also don't think that when all else fails he can physically pull something special off with a crazy run or throw.

Unless the Bills plan to let the first read run free 5 yards past the deep safety, I'd expect something more similar to Bills-49ers a couple years back with Nick Mullens, who can execute the offense sure, but isn't going to give the special plays, or threaten enough of the field, or have enough game experience to answer the defenses at game speed.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, uninja said:

I will say that the Phins gave the Bills some issues last year in their second match up. They’re prolly looking at that game tape for scheme strategies. We also saw both the Rams and the Titans able to keep things close in the first half. 

What we’ve seen so far is that DCs have schemes that slow the Bills down, but as soon as they big brain football themselves into a tendency or weakness they spot in the other teams defense…it’s all over. 

True on that second Miami game last year, but that game was the start of the offensive funk the team went through in November, with the infamous Jags game the following week.  It wasn’t until the second half against Tampa that the offense started to show signs of getting it right again.  

2 hours ago, Son of a K-Gun said:

True on that second Miami game last year, but that game was the start of the offensive funk the team went through in November, with the infamous Jags game the following week.  It wasn’t until the second half against Tampa that the offense started to show signs of getting it right again.  

I think they had Byron jones and a healthy Xavien Howard in that game if I’m remembering correctly…they love to play man coverage without a lot of safety help so having banged up corners should be a bigger deal for them than us. I’m sure Howard is gonna play but they’ve got a big dropoff on the other corner spot compared to that game last year and who knows how close to 100% Howard is 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

13 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Agreed. We haven't faced a defense with Miami's quality yet, THIS season.

Blitz-heavy defenses gave a younger Josh Allen some trouble. I agree that this problem was fully solved last season. Hopefully that holds true throughout 2022. There was a dicey stretch even last week. It COULD happen. Never forget that effing Jaguars game.

I hope he stays that way and punishes them when they bring extra bodies, but also recognizes and adjusts when they don't. They like to muddy up the LOS pre-snap. Mug those gaps.

They haven't faced a D of Miami's quality???? Really???

Just now, Richard Noggin said:

Yes, really. We're talking about 2022, now. The Dolphins defense is pretty good.

The Ravens lit them up and NE has the worst O in the NFL.

Not an impress barometer, but you have your opinion.

I just simply think the Dolphins D is trash and I would be surprised if Allen puts under 40 on them.

• Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, njbuff said:

They haven't faced a D of Miami's quality???? Really???

People just look at how good the defensive depth chart is it seems and they don’t really consider individual matchups.  At full strength Miami maybe has a chance to play man against us which is what they prefer to do but I think they’ve got nik needham or igbinoghene replacing Byron jones and they aren’t very good.  On top of that Howard isn’t 100% healthy 

Their linebackers aren’t particularly good either; the strength of that defense is the secondary and they are missing an important piece of that.  

Any given Sunday and all that but this current Miami defense is considerably worse than the titans and rams defenses we’ve faced 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Yes, really. We're talking about 2022, now. The Dolphins defense is pretty good.

The 2021 dolphins defense was pretty good,they were middle of the road in yards and points allowed.  They’re very boom or bust because they like to play man coverage without a lot of safety help and if they can win their matchups they do great but if they can’t they get torched.

they literally can’t play man coverage with the guys they have healthy now though against a team with a lot of potential receiving threats.  That’s pretty much their whole defensive identity so they are going to struggle for awhile. 

they had two matchups against teams without a lot of weapons at the wr position and haven’t looked great in either game.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think they play man which Allen eats up.

They played man about 25% of the time against the ****Pats and about 74% of the time against the Ravens. I don't think they have the players to play a lot of man against the Bills, particularly if Davis is close to healthy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.