It's Miami Week...Squish The Fish!!!!!

eball

26 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I know that the Bills pass scheme is very good. However, isn't anyone concerned about rookies Elam and Bedford matched up on Hill and Waddle? Any legit unbiased football fan can see that's a huge mismatch. 

Bills secondary is in huge trouble. Hyde and Jackson out is terrible. Not sure the Bills can stop their offense. More specifically Hill and Waddle. Hill has a "Bill beater." This game will need to be won by Allen and the offense. 

In other years I’d worry about it more. But I have more trust in this Bills offense to win a shoot out than I do any other Bills team in the last 30+ years. 

Also the DL is no joke. Before last weeks 28 point 4th quarter the Miami offense scored 28 points total in the previous 7 quarters. If the DL can get home that should cover up some deficiencies on the back end. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

Again, the Bills offense will be the Bills offense. They aren't going to change up based on we have injuries on the defensive side of the ball. 

Do you think if we were playing the Chiefs that they would run the ball more to keep it away from our offense if they had players out on defense?

Of course not. To think so is silly.

We threw the ball 22 straight times against the Titans.  

We are 19th in the league in rushing attempts with us beating both teams by 3+ scores.  

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

To a degree it is.  There are some that would say anytime you are taking the ball out of Allen's hands it is a win for the defense.

Throwing downfield requires time...I don't think he would have it and they would quickly realize it.

They already scheme it that way. Tua seems to deliver to the first read a high preponderance of the time, and will throw into tighter windows and doesn't have juice to drive the ball past defenders. You can be a one-read guy with a live arm or a "precision" passer making good decisions, but one-read guys without that fastball, defenses love love love to see it. If McD/Frazier can find a key on where the ball is going based on alignment/personnel, those become turnover opportunities.

29 minutes ago, Mango said:

I don’t think those are wild takes. 

With a beat up secondary, we’ll need a big showing from our DL to help give our DB’s some slack against a good WR pair. 

The not as much talent on the 53 seems absurd. But he is right saying that whatever their talent level is is contingent on Tua keeping up pace from last weeks Q4.

It’s matchups though not comparing overall how good a defense is.  They like to play cover 0 man which has disastrous results against us.  Our defense will be much better against their offense than their defense is against ours.  Doesn’t matter that they’ve got good guys on paper it’s still a terrible schematic matchup for them 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

I think losing some guys is going to hurt in some fundamentals and possibly a few big plays we normally wouldn’t see. But it’s a zone defense, let’s stop pretending like Elam has to man up Hill for 4 quarters. Jaquan has been here in the film room with Hyde and Poyer for years now. He knows his job. 
Maybe they don’t dominate as they have the last two games, but the injuries should not be the difference in winning and losing imo. 

On a side note, maybe this is the week to run the ball, kill large chunks of clock and keep the defense off the field a little more. I highly doubt Miami is spending much time focusing on the run game for Buffalo. 

3 hours ago, AmishRifle said:

Does anybody think that we’ll purposely eat more clock with the offense this week given the rash of injuries to our secondary?  McDermott always talks about complementary football.  If you’re really worried about the Dolphins offense or our defenses ability to stop them, then just keep them off the field.

I don't think McDermott and the O purposely do that.  What they do is attack what the D gives them.

There is a chance that the Dolphin's D play a deeper shell which opens up the shorter stuff to start the game.

That could cause some higher play count drives which could eat up more clock per drive.

Then again, they could go man to man in which case it's all up in the air.

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

I think losing some guys is going to hurt in some fundamentals and possibly a few big plays we normally wouldn’t see. But it’s a zone defense, let’s stop pretending like Elam has to man up Hill for 4 quarters. Jaquan has been here in the film room with Hyde and Poyer for years now. He knows his job. 
Maybe they don’t dominate as they have the last two games, but the injuries should not be the difference in winning and losing imo. 

On a side note, maybe this is the week to run the ball, kill large chunks of clock and keep the defense off the field a little more. I highly doubt Miami is spending much time focusing on the run game for Buffalo. 

Our defense is banged up, so let's take the ball from Allen and put it in the hands of the worst group of RBs in the league?

Letting Allen put up 40+ on the sounds like a better plan.

• Like (+1) 1

After two games, the Dolphins' defense has been a sieve. There is absolutely no reason to think the Bills will not score at least 40.

Could Miami's D suddenly find their stride? Sure, it's possible. Could Josh slip on a mat on the way out of the tunnel and not play? This too is possible. But, if you play the odds, neither is likely to happen, however remotely possible they are.

If your measuring stick is based on completely shutting down Hill, Waddle and Geisicki for a full 60 minutes, then in fact, you are correct. The Bills will fail. On the other hand, if the measuring stick is simply to win the game, I do not find any likely scenario where this does not end positively.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I don't think McDermott and the O purposely do that.  What they do is attack what the D gives them.

There is a chance that the Dolphin's D play a deeper shell which opens up the shorter stuff to start the game.

That could cause some higher play count drives which could eat up more clock per drive.

Then again, they could go man to man in which case it's all up in the air.

If Howard plays man on Diggs, he'll be in for a long day since he's nursing a groin injury. And the last time they put Needham on McKenzie, he torched him all game long. I also believe this particular D line of the phins will be the easier one compared to the last 2 we faced

3 minutes ago, Process said:

Our defense is banged up, so let's take the ball from Allen and put it in the hands of the worst group of RBs in the league?

Letting Allen put up 40+ on the sounds like a better plan.

Running the ball and having a better time of possession doesn’t mean Allen doesn’t throw or the team can’t score 40. 
And I don’t think it’s correct to call them the worst group in the league. 

Edited by Rc2catch

2 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

If Howard plays man on Diggs, he'll be in for a long day since he's nursing a groin injury. And the last time they put Needham on McKenzie, he torched him all game long. I also believe this particular D line of the phins will be the easier one compared to the last 2 we faced

I agree.  Miami tends to play mostly man to man.  It would seem that this is one time to implement some more zone.

It's one of the things I'm looking forward to finding out which they use.  I'm sure Josh and Dorsey have a plan for both.

56 minutes ago, Beast said:

Again, the Bills offense will be the Bills offense. They aren't going to change up based on we have injuries on the defensive side of the ball. 

Do you think if we were playing the Chiefs that they would run the ball more to keep it away from our offense if they had players out on defense?

Of course not. To think so is silly.

"The Bills offense is the Bills offense." What does that mean? Does the offensive game plan remain constant? Doesn't matter what the opponent is? Or game score? Come on man...

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

You confident Elam can match up with either of Miami's receivers? I'm not. He's a rookie, unproven, and matching up against an elite WR. That doesn't instill confidence. Everyone is banking on a creepy Tua and a Bills pass rush. We will see how it plays out. All I know is the Dolphins have a glaring Bills hole to try to expose. Hyde out certainly makes a huge difference too. The safety net is 50% gone. 

At this point, in our secondary Hyde being out is the only problem. Johnson been here a few years he should know what to do. I’m sure it will be a drop off but I believe this staff will have him ready. As far as going from Jackson to Elam think of it this way, Jackson started the only game Tyreek burnt this team the past few years. It was his only start against him as well, so that kind of makes ya worry. If Elam has a solid game this team might come out of this situation better moving forward. We got a lot of talent in our secondary, it’s hard to prove anything until you get on the field.  I’m not worried that that is happening against good players, it’s week 3 and we have a long season ahead of us. I also have faith in our O 

Edited by BananaB
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I agree.  Miami tends to play mostly man to man.  It would seem that this is one time to implement some more zone.

It's one of the things I'm looking forward to finding out which they use.  I'm sure Josh and Dorsey have a plan for both.

Josh will absolutely kill them if they play man all day long.  I'd expect him to throw for 3 and run for 2 more in that scenario and go for over 400 total yards.

19 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Even with the injuries I trust our Team to score more at the end of the day.

I’m ready to put some Faith in Benford and Elam to hold their own! Mcd will have a plan to limit any big plays. 

Also, Jaquan Johnson was awesome in camp and preseason.  Kid has a great mind and instincts.  Only concern is his speed in the open field against a guy like Hill.  Will be interesting to see how it shakes out on Sunday.  

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, BananaB said:

At this point, in our secondary Hyde being out is the only problem. Johnson been here a few years he should know what to do. I’m sure it will be a drop off but I believe this staff will have him ready. As far as going from Jackson to Elam think of it this way, Jackson started the only game Tyreek burnt this team the past few years. It was his only start against him as well, so that kind of makes ya worry. If Elam has a solid game this team might come out of this situation better moving forward. We got a lot of talent in our secondary, it’s hard to prove anything until you get on the field.  I’m not worried that that is happening against good players, it’s week 3. 

Week 3 is week 3. That shpuld be the focus of this team. Every win is important. The Bills defenaive injuries probably will have a negative impact on the game. The Bills best hope is the Bills offense. I'm confident the Bils can score plenty of points. If this depleted secondary severely limits the Dolphins offense the rest of the league should be on double notice. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.