Edmunds…back to back good games. Facts. (Update: Another good game)

Alphadawg7

28 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

The fact that we need a thread pointing out two decent weeks of football is indicative of how mediocre his football IQ has been for three years. 

This is true.

We don't need the "Josh has had two good games in a row" thread because he's almost always pretty good.

14 minutes ago, benderbender said:

We don't need an Edmunds Justice Warrior to convince us that Edmunds is good. He is what he is: size and athleticism. Period. You can either make peace with his pros and cons or be upset by unreasonable expectations.

His upside is he can disrupt their passing game by his height and wingspan, and if he has a free rush he could get a sack. His flaws are that he cannot shed a block to save his life, is not a sure tackler, and has goldfish level instincts. 

I've accepted Edmunds as my personal LB knowing all of his flaws. If only to save myself sanity. Also it lets me celebrate the occasional good play. 

The Bills have been #1 in the NFL in pass defense for like 2.5 years now.  In a passing league that is pretty stellar.

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

I'm not wrong, that's exactly how and why Jackson got hurt.  Has Edmunds played better, yes.  Did he injure Jackson by diving onto a player who was already down like he does all the time: also yes.  

You are wrong about him always being late to tackles. It’s not even remotely accurate.

After that play though I wondered if the refs have ever called unnecessary roughness for hitting your own player late.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

Just now, RyanC883 said:

I'm not wrong, that's exactly how and why Jackson got hurt.  Has Edmunds played better, yes.  Did he injure Jackson by diving onto a player who was already down like he does all the time: also yes.  

He wasn't already down, he was going down when Edmunds was going into him.  

He's made some splash plays but his play in the run game is why Beane has not extended him a contract offer. Just is what it is at this point. With his athletic ability he should be dominant in both phases of the game at this point in his career. Like I said in the chat, plays in the backfield should be more common, because he has the ability. It's the reads that he struggles to make. Henry's touchdown run is something you'd like to see him diagnose and at least be near the ball, not patting his lineman on the back. His overall play is still average and he's going to need a whole season of good games.

• Eyeroll 1

11 hours ago, In Summary said:

Edmunds sack came unopposed with an open lane. I've never seen him do that fighting off a committed blocker. He's not a pass rusher. Lacks necessary hand fighting skills for one.  Suppose it was a clever call to send him because it worked.

As to his hit I'm not impressed or apologetic. Seems the better players impact the play early on rather than finish it late in that manner.  Just my take.

I love how you still take a shot at him when he makes a good play.  "Yeah, he got the sack, but it was unopposed so it's still not that good."  As if other guys on the team don't get sacks "unopposed" and then get called out on it here.  Never once have I seen Milano, Hyde, Poyer, etc get called out when they get to the QB on a blitz because they weren't blocked...isn't that the idea behind a blitz?

Edited by Ya Digg?

5 minutes ago, Luka said:

He's made some splash plays but his play in the run game is why Beane has not extended him a contract offer. Just is what it is at this point. With his athletic ability he should be dominant in both phases of the game at this point in his career. Like I said in the chat, plays in the backfield should be more common, because he has the ability. It's the reads that he struggles to make. Henry's touchdown run is something you'd like to see him diagnose and at least be near the ball, not patting his lineman on the back. His overall play is still average and he's going to need a whole season of good games.

I mean Derrick Henry on the 2 yard line is scoring more often than not.

Maybe we watched a different game, but the King (even though I think he's washed) had like 25 yards. That's pretty good in the run department.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I mean Derrick Henry on the 2 yard line is scoring more often than not.

This is true. But it’s also true that if Edmunds attacked the gap to his right with violence, there’s a good chance Henry doesn’t score (assuming Edmunds puts a hit on him). But I’m not here to whine and complain about the plays he didn’t make after a 34 point win. Solid showing by him and the rest of the defense all around. 

2 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

The fact that we need a thread pointing out two decent weeks of football is indicative of how mediocre his football IQ has been for three years. 

Or the mediocre football IQ some on this board have to just look for a mistake by Edmunds to justify their stance. He's been the center of a damn good defense for 3 years running. As to RyanC883, there's a reason for the stat "assisted tackle". Edmunds isn't the only player in the NFL to help with a tackle. There are plenty of examples of "friendly fire" in the NFL. It happens all the time. That take is total BS.

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

This is true. But it’s also true that if Edmunds attacked the gap to his right with violence, there’s a good chance Henry doesn’t score (assuming Edmunds puts a hit on him). But I’m not here to whine and complain about the plays he didn’t make after a 34 point win. Solid showing by him and the rest of the defense all around. 

I noticed that as well.  But overall good game by Edmunds.

I've been a big Edmunds critic but this isn't unexpected since it's a contract year combined with the best dline he's ever played behind.

Obviously if it keeps up though he's likely playing his way out of Buffalo because we aren't giving a MLB a record contract next year no matter how much a wizard Beane is it's simply not going to be possible.

25 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

I love how you still take a shot at him when he makes a good play.  "Yeah, he got the sack, but it was unopposed so it's still not that good."  As if other guys on the team don't get sacks "unopposed" and then get called out on it here.  Never once have I seen Milano, Hyde, Poyer, etc get called out when they get to the QB on a blitz because they weren't blocked...isn't that the idea behind a blitz?

You're making too much sense. That might have gone over his head. 9 tackles, 1 sack AND he tipped the ball that everyone is giving Hyde credit for. Why, because they would have to admit he has made more than 1 impact play in his career. I find it weird that the vocal few will try and spin a positive into a negative. Might be the same folks who said Cook looks slow, as he busts a long run on the Titans last night. Surprised to not see the comment " I could have run that one".

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

As a long time detractor, I'll give him some credit where it is due.

He had a slow start last night, getting blown up and ran right over twice in the 1st quarter. But the entire team had a slow start, and like the team he was able to turn it around and actually make some plays when called upon. Finally.

Good job finally showing the flashes a lot of us have been looking for over the past 5 years. We need big plays from that MLB spot and he's finally delivering.

I'm torn on the Jackson injury. On one hand, in general I dont think it's fair to blame a player when they cause an injury with friendly fire. On the other hand, he plays with such a lack of instinct, being late on that tackle and having bad form is tough to simply overlook. But I'm sure he feels horrible about it, and I'm not going to blast him on it.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Lfod said:

So what caused the injury then, was it non contact? I'm not saying it happened on purpose but one dudes head spearing into another dudes head 100% made some kind of injury happen. 

Dude ran in on a gang tackle we all love to see. It's unfortunate but to put blame on the kid is beyond stupid. Everyone was hyped af for home opener, was bang bang play.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Or the mediocre football IQ some on this board have to just look for a mistake by Edmunds to justify their stance. He's been the center of a damn good defense for 3 years running. As to RyanC883, there's a reason for the stat "assisted tackle". Edmunds isn't the only player in the NFL to help with a tackle. There are plenty of examples of "friendly fire" in the NFL. It happens all the time. That take is total BS.

Yes that’s why Beane locked him up so fast. Because of how great Edmunds has been.

2 hours ago, benderbender said:

We don't need an Edmunds Justice Warrior to convince us that Edmunds is good. He is what he is: size and athleticism. Period. You can either make peace with his pros and cons or be upset by unreasonable expectations.

His upside is he can disrupt their passing game by his height and wingspan, and if he has a free rush he could get a sack. His flaws are that he cannot shed a block to save his life, is not a sure tackler, and has goldfish level instincts. 

I've accepted Edmunds as my personal LB knowing all of his flaws. If only to save myself sanity. Also it lets me celebrate the occasional good play. 

LMAO! I like that one. I hope he doesn't end up taking Milano out.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.