Edmunds…back to back good games. Facts. (Update: Another good game)

Alphadawg7

Respect to every poster who came in here and acknowledged that they haven't been his biggest supporter previously, but that he has played well and deserving of praise for this season so far.  

That is all this thread was ever about...being objective and acknowledging he (so far) has upped his game this year despite what ever previous skepticism anyone may have had coming into the season on him as a player.  Nothing he has done, or will do, changes what his previous 4 seasons were, so this thread has nothing to do with what anyones previous positive or negative opinion was.  

And the story isn't done, 2 games don't earn contracts unless your name is Rob Johnson.  He has a lot to prove the rest of the season still, but just felt his play has elevated to the point it needed to be acknowledged.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

20 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Edmunds has now had good games in back to back to weeks.  This includes big impact plays tonight including sack and tipping a pass for an Int.  One drive he dominated the Titans for 3 downs to almost single handedly force them off the field.  

So since everyone starts a thread trashing him even after good games, I figured it was time he got a thread praising his play because he’s been very good these first 2 weeks.

He still has to prove it the rest of the season to see where he fits in the Bills future plans, but he’s off to a very good start and he has earned some praise.  

If Hyde (and the Tenn WR) doesn't touch that ball, Poyer does not intercept it.  It would have been a decent pass defended by Edmunds.

54 minutes ago, pigpen65 said:

What does it tell you that you have to make a point about a guy having two good games in a row?

It tells you that the criticism on him previously has been over the top, including starting threads to thrash after he and the defense had good games last year (which happened a lot).  Someone had to break the cycle of people being negative for the sake of being negative. 

What if I flip that question around on you...What does it tell you that you have to come in to be negative despite seeing vast improvement in his play?  

Just sayin...

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It tells you that the criticism on him previously has been over the top, including starting threads to thrash after he and the defense had good games last year (which happened a lot).  Someone had to break the cycle of people being negative for the sake of being negative. 

What if I flip that question around on you...What does it tell you that you have to come in to be negative despite seeing vast improvement in his play?  

Just sayin...

Perhaps the poster's point is that the fact that you started a thread which in part congratulates other posters for coming forward to acknowledge that a 1st round draft picking his 5th year has "played well....so far this season" (Week 2) suggests there is a legitimate opposing view and debate about how good he really is. 

The fact that the Bills didn't offer him a new contract certainly tells us a lot as well.  They paid Tre White after 3 years.  Oliver is in his 4th year, probably will get paid. 

No one debates obviously superior players, nor do they need to start endless threads latching on to anything that might possible convince others a player is a superior player.  

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

lol why did you puke emoji

im answering your question

The puke emoji was for the personnel and the defensive call on 4th and 1. Not your answer. If the Bills run Nickel against goal line packages they’re asking A LOT out of their front 4. Too much even. Match goal line with goal line. Get a bunch of fat d-lineman in there to clog it up, don’t have your MLB playing back, unsure which gap to attack (and there were two that formed), because then you get that situation where he stays home and doesn’t fill either one. 

22 hours ago, balln said:

sorry that play was SO late. he put his head down and tried to spear the WR on the ground. the play was over. instead he hits his own guy in the head bending his neck in half

You are 100% correct.  I don't know why anyone is trying to rationalize it.

It was a stupid decision by Edmunds.  No two ways about it.

14 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

You are 100% correct.  I don't know why anyone is trying to rationalize it.

It was a stupid decision by Edmunds.  No two ways about it.

he was told to play more aggressive this season by Coach . but honestly he is kinda clumsy and dorky.That wingspan is just too much for him to manage it seems.

😋
 thank Goodness Dane is out of the Hospital and it was not worser. 😀

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

The puke emoji was for the personnel and the defensive call on 4th and 1. Not your answer. If the Bills run Nickel against goal line packages they’re asking A LOT out of their front 4. Too much even. Match goal line with goal line. Get a bunch of fat d-lineman in there to clog it up, don’t have your MLB playing back, unsure which gap to attack (and there were two that formed), because then you get that situation where he stays home and doesn’t fill either one. 

The titans weren’t in goal line personnel 

so they didn’t match goal line personnel with nickel … tho they should’ve been heavier 

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

If Hyde (and the Tenn WR) doesn't touch that ball, Poyer does not intercept it.  It would have been a decent pass defended by Edmunds.

If edmunds didn’t tip it, then Hyde wouldn’t have tipped it and it wouldn’t have been intercepted. Same logic.

Perhaps the poster's point is that the fact that you started a thread which in part congratulates other posters for coming forward to acknowledge that a 1st round draft picking his 5th year has "played well....so far this season" (Week 2) suggests there is a legitimate opposing view and debate about how good he really is. 

The fact that the Bills didn't offer him a new contract certainly tells us a lot as well.  They paid Tre White after 3 years.  Oliver is in his 4th year, probably will get paid. 

No one debates obviously superior players, nor do they need to start endless threads latching on to anything that might possible convince others a player is a superior player.  

Imo judging players based on their contracts is tenuous. It puts you in the awkward position of having to change your opinion of the player if the Bills end up deciding to pay him.

No offense, but what message board have you been on?  The only endless threads on here have been the same posters starting practically weekly bashing threads, over exaggerating the negativity, and doing it even on the backs of games he’s played well.  

And did you even read my posts?  Literally said repeatedly it’s just 2 games, he has a lot to prove over the season.  No one is crowning him, but heaven forbid we acknowledge improved play of an important player on our favorite team that’s off to a hot start on a major Super Bowl run.  I mean what was I thinking?  

It’s pretty mind blowing when posters here take exception with seeing someone improve, impact the team, and receive praise for that. 

Edmunds has played well the first two weeks. He still doesn't pop for me in the way that players like Milano or Poyer do from time to time, but he's been more consistent and is doing his 1/11 in the defense better than ever. With the talent around him and the elite defensive coaching, that is good enough. Unfortunately for him we paid other players while waiting for him to take that next step. If we could somehow get him on a 3-4 year deal with Milano's AAV I would take that right now. I fear he is going to get offered a monster contract in FA and we are at the point in our life cycle as a team where we will have to let those kinds of players walk. If he loves it here and gives us a hometown discount, great. If not, I don't begrudge him for making his money while he can and I wish him well.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Mattymafia said:

If edmunds didn’t tip it, then Hyde wouldn’t have tipped it and it wouldn’t have been intercepted. Same logic.

Including the QB, 5 players touched that pass.

8 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Imo judging players based on their contracts is tenuous. It puts you in the awkward position of having to change your opinion of the player if the Bills end up deciding to pay him.

That was only part of my point--I mentioned it because the only evaluators who matter didn't think he was worth locking up long term and don't seem worried about him entering free agency.  That is a statement.

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No offense, but what message board have you been on?  The only endless threads on here have been the same posters starting practically weekly bashing threads, over exaggerating the negativity, and doing it even on the backs of games he’s played well.  

And did you even read my posts?  Literally said repeatedly it’s just 2 games, he has a lot to prove over the season.  No one is crowning him, but heaven forbid we acknowledge improved play of an important player on our favorite team that’s off to a hot start on a major Super Bowl run.  I mean what was I thinking?  

It’s pretty mind blowing when posters here take exception with seeing someone improve, impact the team, and receive praise for that. 

That the threads exist is the point.  You missed that.  Debating the "improved play" of a 5th year 1st round starting player hints that his play has been questionable to this point, does it not?

Look, I get it--this is a sore subject for you.  You were hyping his every move in the shout box Monday night.  But why is his 5th season the one where "he has a lot to prove"?   

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Edmunds has played well the first two weeks. He still doesn't pop for me in the way that players like Milano or Poyer do from time to time, but he's been more consistent and is doing his 1/11 in the defense better than ever. With the talent around him and the elite defensive coaching, that is good enough. Unfortunately for him we paid other players while waiting for him to take that next step. If we could somehow get him on a 3-4 year deal with Milano's AAV I would take that right now. I fear he is going to get offered a monster contract in FA and we are at the point in our life cycle as a team where we will have to let those kinds of players walk. If he loves it here and gives us a hometown discount, great. If not, I don't begrudge him for making his money while he can and I wish him well.

You think there's any chance Allen would restructure his contract to get a little wiggle room for resigning some players like Edmunds?

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Including the QB, 5 players touched that pass.

That was only part of my point--I mentioned it because the only evaluators who matter didn't think he was worth locking up long term and don't seem worried about him entering free agency.  That is a statement.

That the threads exist is the point.  You missed that.  Debating the "improved play" of a 5th year 1st round starting player hints that his play has been questionable to this point, does it not?

Look, I get it--this is a sore subject for you.  You were hyping his every move in the shout box Monday night.  But why is his 5th season the one where "he has a lot to prove"?   

I was hyping one drive, where he made three straight plays to force a 3 and out, I was barely in the shout box.  

And why does a player in his final year of his contract (who is in line for a significant deal) on a team with multiple personnel decisions looming have a lot to prove?  Do you really not know the answer to that question?  We don’t exactly have a ton of cap space, every contract we sign will have extra scrutiny from this point on.  

Oliver has a lot to prove too.  Oliver isn’t a slam dunk give him the bag on his next contract either.  We don’t have the cap space to just automatically re-up every player based on what their market value will be.  

And while Edmunds has been valuable here, had some success, made pro bowls, been the captain of the defense…he still had some areas he needed to improve on before we could even consider resigning him based on what the expected market range for him will be.  Everyone knows that, whether they are positive or negative on him.  No one is delusional on him and thinks he had nothing to prove.  

Oliver is in the same boat.  The only difference with Oliver is he started showing improvement in areas he needed to improve on last year.  But he still hasn’t for sure locked down his next contract here and his continued improvement will need to be seen this year as well.  And his first game against Rams sure looked like he is headed that way.  But again, he is going to have to have a good season if they are going to pay him what the market will likely be for him.  And I think Oliver will do just that, but it still has to happen.

Again…I find it interesting people felt the need to take exception to a thread giving praise to a player you deserved it for improving his play noticeably to start the season.  Especially one who plays a significant role for this team.  

Oh, and as far as your 5 years comment…he broke out a long time ago, his detractors refuse to admit he isn’t as bad as they exaggerate him to be.  Edmunds should have had several threads last year for example praising his play in a game, but instead his detractors posted more negative bias threads to continue their whipping boy agenda.  So, this isn’t a player finally showing promise, he’s a multiple pro bowl player who is 5th in the NFL in tackles since entering the league who has been the captain of one of the top ranked defenses.  Yes he had some areas of weakness he still needed to improve, but he was not minutely close to as bad as people portray here.  

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I was hyping one drive, where he made three straight plays to force a 3 and out, I was barely in the shout box.  

And why does a player in his final year of his contract (who is in line for a significant deal) on a team with multiple personnel decisions looming have a lot to prove?  Do you really not know the answer to that question?  We don’t exactly have a ton of cap space, every contract we sign will have extra scrutiny from this point on.  

Oliver has a lot to prove too.  Oliver isn’t a slam dunk give him the bag on his next contract either.  We don’t have the cap space to just automatically re-up every player based on what their market value will be.  

And while Edmunds has been valuable here, had some success, made pro bowls, been the captain of the defense…he still had some areas he needed to improve on before we could even consider resigning him based on what the expected market range for him will be.  Everyone knows that, whether they are positive or negative on him.  No one is delusional on him and thinks he had nothing to prove.  

Oliver is in the same boat.  The only difference with Oliver is he started showing improvement in areas he needed to improve on last year.  But he still hasn’t for sure locked down his next contract here and his continued improvement will need to be seen this year as well.  And his first game against Rams sure looked like he is headed that way.  But again, he is going to have to have a good season if they are going to pay him what the market will likely be for him.  And I think Oliver will do just that, but it still has to happen.

Again…I find it interesting people felt the need to take exception to a thread giving praise to a player you deserved it for improving his play noticeably to start the season.  Especially one who plays a significant role for this team.  

Oh, and as far as your 5 years comment…he broke out a long time ago, his detractors refuse to admit he isn’t as bad as they exaggerate him to be.  Edmunds should have had several threads last year for example praising his play in a game, but instead his detractors posted more negative bias threads to continue their whipping boy agenda.  So, this isn’t a player finally showing promise, he’s a multiple pro bowl player who is 5th in the NFL in tackles since entering the league who has been the captain of one of the top ranked defenses.  Yes he had some areas of weakness he still needed to improve, but he was not minutely close to as bad as people portray here.  

Point those people to the expert film reviewers. Film doesn't lie and they aren't wrong about him. It's available for all of us to see, whether we think WE know or not.

I also really REALLY gotta laugh at those that say they aren't surprised he's playing better because of a contract year! LMAO. I spit out beverages on my monitor when I see that. Like what???? Have you followed this team like at all??? He isn't one of THOSE A-Holes, he's ALL about team and humility and hard work and not a spotlight guy, not shallow. seriously wtf?

Will his price become too high for the Bills next year??? Its certainly quite possible! But has his play improved immensely? Resoundingly, YES!

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.