Edmunds…back to back good games. Facts. (Update: Another good game)

Alphadawg7

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yes on Milano goal line TFL Edmunds fits run VIOLENTLY and forces the bounce outside that Milano cleans up

On the outside in his natural habitat lol. I don't think Edmunds gets any credit for a dude who had to learn MLB on the fly in the NFL. They zoom out and he is covering from the line to gain in and sometimes 3/4 of the field. Sure he doesn't shed blocks well, but idk where they find someone else to cover a range like that. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I can say that about alot of players.

If Lamar is a big cog unsigned

Oliver Big Cog Unsigned

Poyer - same 

cant pay everyone all at once can you.

No you can't. Which is why it's always interesting to see who does get the money and who doesn't. I was surprised they paid Knox, but maybe that's more for Josh than anything else. It's going to be a fact of life around here that good players are going out the door. Really with the injuries the team gets to see how other players fill the gap. Do we miss Oliver that much, enough to pay him top dollar? Or any of them?

2 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

No you can't. Which is why it's always interesting to see who does get the money and who doesn't. I was surprised they paid Knox, but maybe that's more for Josh than anything else. It's going to be a fact of life around here that good players are going out the door. Really with the injuries the team gets to see how other players fill the gap. Do we miss Oliver that much, enough to pay him top dollar? Or any of them?

We have the #1 defense right now without Oliver

1 minute ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Yes we really are missing Oliver a Ton.  There is NO Internal Pass Rush Unless it comes from Groot at DT since Oliver has been out.  

I would argue we are not missing Tre as much as many thought we would, Same with Hyde.  But Oliver yes there is and has been a big drop inside (covered a bit because of Groots ability from inside.)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yes we really are missing Oliver a Ton.  There is NO Internal Pass Rush Unless it comes from Groot at DT since Oliver has been out.  

I would argue we are not missing Tre as much as many thought we would, Same with Hyde.  But Oliver yes there is and has been a big drop inside (covered a bit because of Groots ability from inside.)

And Phillips too.

47 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I guess you will find out when he plays behind the worst defensive line of his career next year when he signs elsewhere.:lol:

Bottom line:   walk years either bring out the best in a player or bring out the worst.    He's got a lot of money on the line and he started from the bottom of the barrel with low expectations from the fans this year after a disappointing season culminated with a disappearing act in KC.    

He has played well this season.   Is he in danger of becoming a DPOY candidate as some had predicted at earlier points in his career?   F*ck no. :lol:

Just as the defense has survived without Tre White.........despite claims it would not by many doom-fantasy gimps on TSW........they will fill the MLB role with someone different next season and he will be much cheaper and play just fine.     This defense is a showcase for a MLB.   His slow ascent to "difference maker" status has been unfortunate.   

He was not even close to being the reason we lost to KC. Coaching and Milano getting "Mossed" by Kelce for the game winning TD.

Oh, and Josh messing up the coin toss(I kid, I kid).

28 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

We have the #1 defense right now without Oliver

The way the defense has been playing, I dare say Tre White was a contract that may have not been necessary. I think we miss Oliver more than Tre. Go ahead and let me have it. 

56 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I agree with this. I'd still keep Ed Oliver. 

4 hours ago, Allen2Moulds said:

Far and away, the best I've seen him play. This is what we were waiting for, consistent play. 4 good games in a row. Before it was a lot more of good game, bad game.

i read in this thread he's 24 years old.  that's insane, 5th year of pro nfl experience, not yet old enough to pay general rate for a car rental.

if he really has turned the corner and figured out the NFL, he could be a 10 more year monster in the middle.

5 hours ago, Dopey said:

He was not even close to being the reason we lost to KC. Coaching and Milano getting "Mossed" by Kelce for the game winning TD.

I never said he was THE reason they lost to KC, Dopey........but he wasn't going to be "even close to" one of the main reasons the Bills won that game if they did, either.         Mahomes played him like a yo-yo and he made zero plays.    After 4 years of meh,   fans and media had both given up on the idea that he was going to make ANY plays........TFL's, sacks, INT's,  FF, FR.........so when he does make one it feels like a big improvement.    He's improved.   But this was a guy who was being compared to HOF'ers before he set foot on the field in Buffalo.   

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

But this was a guy who was being compared to HOF'ers before he set foot on the field in Buffalo.

No, he wasn't.  People were drooling about his athleticism and measurables and hoping he could be special.  Nearly everything I remember reading started off with how young and raw he was.  I don't disagree with you that his "splash" plays have been less than what was desired, but maybe it just takes time.  Folks don't have a lot of patience around here.  We should all be happy that he and Milano are flying around like gangbusters out there right now.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, eball said:

No, he wasn't.  People were drooling about his athleticism and measurables and hoping he could be special.  Nearly everything I remember reading started off with how young and raw he was.  I don't disagree with you that his "splash" plays have been less than what was desired, but maybe it just takes time.  Folks don't have a lot of patience around here.  We should all be happy that he and Milano are flying around like gangbusters out there right now.

Yeah he wasn't being compared to Urlacher or Kuechly..........you're right.........never happened.  :rolleyes:

As for folks not having a lot of patience around here..........what about them Buffalo Bills?   They are the one's who did not extend his contract and instead are gargling an untenable $13M cap hit.........likely accepting last winter that he was not in their plans for 2023........because they watched him spend most of 2020 and 2021 not being able to get out of his own way to make a play.

It's OK to admit that he's been an underachiever thru his first 4 seasons and that put the Bills in a bad situation wrt his future.   Live and learn.......it's a lesson for McBeane............1st round MLB's are like 1st round RB's.........they need to be extraordinary on their first contract to justify it.

Don't blame fans or media for expecting more,   that's just the reality.    Hopefully he keeps up the good work and finally becomes a legit top 5 MLB in the league after drifting toward the middle of the pack last couple seasons when there has been something of an influx of more splashy performers at the position from the college ranks. 

Nowhere did I say I wasn't happy he was playing better though.   I've mentioned many times my hope that they finally get one exceptional season out of him at least.........it is what it is........players who don't arrive until their contract is almost up often end up elsewhere.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, eball said:

In a league where the average career for a non-QB is 3.3 years, I don't think it's acceptable to wait until a player's 5th season for them to not be a liability. That's not a lack of patience, it's a lack of production.

Given that entry contracts are 4 years, you'd be better off just getting a guy who has proven he has what it takes in free agency than wasting a 1st round pick on him and then having to spend the same money to re-sign him anyway.

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

In a league where the average career for a non-QB is 3.3 years, I don't think it's acceptable to wait until a player's 5th season for them to not be a liability. That's not a lack of patience, it's a lack of production.

Given that entry contracts are 4 years, you'd be better off just getting a guy who has proven he has what it takes in free agency than wasting a 1st round pick on him and then having to spend the same money to re-sign him anyway.

That average is dragged down by all of the backups and wannabes. Good starters in the league last much longer.  It’s still worth it to draft and develop players with talent, and always will be. 

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, eball said:

That average is dragged down by all of the backups and wannabes. Good starters in the league last much longer.  It’s still worth it to draft and develop players with talent, and always will be. 

That's true if they overperform their entry level contract, you need cheaper depth than vet minimum, or if they're a quarterback. Otherwise it's no better than free agency. Edmunds has not come close to overperforming his contract. Even though he's having his best year as a pro, he's still not outperforming the money he's making this year as the 4th highest cap hit, #1 base salary and 6th highest overall paid ILB in the league.

Edited by BullBuchanan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.