Edmunds…back to back good games. Facts. (Update: Another good game)

Alphadawg7

11 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This is a good post, and I think there is also one more layer to it, and IMHO its been evident on the field this year compared to years past.  Frazier frustratingly used Edmunds more like a safety net or last line of defense out there than an aggressive MLB in the past.  It was like Frazier didn't trust the front 4 to win in the trenches, so he played Edmunds deeper off the ball and relied on his range and athleticism to try and minimize the damage of losing up front.  This is why I have been saying the last couple years, I think the things people hate most about Edmunds is more tied to how Frazier has used him.  

This year, its like they turned Edmunds loose and let him play more aggressive.  He feels closer to the ball and all over the field.  And I think that has everything to do with the revamped DL.  The fact they are playing at a much higher level already helps the LB's do their job better, then you add in Frazier seems to trust the front 4 more and allowing Edmunds to play more closer to the action and be more of an aggressor or enforcer out of the MLB spot.  

One of the reasons I wanted Frazier to get a HC gig is because I was hoping to see what another DC would do with Edmunds and how he would use him.  But so far, it seems we didn't need a new DC, we just needed a new DL for Frazier to seemingly turn Edmunds loose more.  Its only been 2 weeks though, so we will see if that continues or not.  I just hope Frazier doesn't start to fall back into the soft bend but don't break mentality.  I love seeing this D be aggressive.  

And this also ties into the recent "We have an attitude of domination" quote from Von Miller. Between adding him, and the aggressive swag attitude of guys like JPhillips, DJones, Shaq, and even Settle (compared to the more quiet reserved guys like Star, Harrison, Butler), it would make sense we've seen a major uptick in all of this.

Not sure what this does to Edmunds contract offer status. Or... to take it a step further... does this mean that other MLBs could also thrive behind this line and there is no need to pay Edmunds big bucks since the key piece is DL?

12 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

And this also ties into the recent "We have an attitude of domination" quote from Von Miller. Between adding him, and the aggressive swag attitude of guys like JPhillips, DJones, Shaq, and even Settle (compared to the more quiet reserved guys like Star, Harrison, Butler), it would make sense we've seen a major uptick in all of this.

Not sure what this does to Edmunds contract offer status. Or... to take it a step further... does this mean that other MLBs could also thrive behind this line and there is no need to pay Edmunds big bucks since the key piece is DL?

Yeah, also another good point.  And honestly, I think ironically the more Edmunds thrives, the lower his chances to get another contract here are.  With him and Oliver, something is going to have to give.  And Oliver looked dominant against the Rams and fully expect him to have a big year.  

Not to mention, if Jordan Phillips keeps playing like this, I don't see how they don't do what they can to bring him back too given he is on a 1 year deal.  Might even be something we see happen in season to be honest. 

Personally, if Phillips keeps playing like this, I would prioritize BOTH Oliver and Phillips over Edmunds.  The game changes when you can dominate in the trenches, that will always be more valuable IMHO than any LB (exception for those rare LB's like LT, Lewis, etc).  Dominating up front makes everyone's job easier on that field.  

So be interesting to see how this all unfolds, but I will never count Beane out, he has been a wizard at the cap and player retention.  If he wants everyone back, he is the guy best suited to try and figure out a way to get it done.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This is a good post, and I think there is also one more layer to it, and IMHO its been evident on the field this year compared to years past.  Frazier frustratingly used Edmunds more like a safety net or last line of defense out there than an aggressive MLB in the past.  It was like Frazier didn't trust the front 4 to win in the trenches, so he played Edmunds deeper off the ball and relied on his range and athleticism to try and minimize the damage of losing up front.  This is why I have been saying the last couple years, I think the things people hate most about Edmunds is more tied to how Frazier has used him.  

This year, its like they turned Edmunds loose and let him play more aggressive.  He feels closer to the ball and all over the field.  And I think that has everything to do with the revamped DL.  The fact they are playing at a much higher level already helps the LB's do their job better, then you add in Frazier seems to trust the front 4 more and allowing Edmunds to play more closer to the action and be more of an aggressor or enforcer out of the MLB spot.  

One of the reasons I wanted Frazier to get a HC gig is because I was hoping to see what another DC would do with Edmunds and how he would use him.  But so far, it seems we didn't need a new DC, we just needed a new DL for Frazier to seemingly turn Edmunds loose more.  Its only been 2 weeks though, so we will see if that continues or not.  I just hope Frazier doesn't start to fall back into the soft bend but don't break mentality.  I love seeing this D be aggressive.  

I never felt Frazier was the problem. He is one of the best DCs in football the chances you move on from him and get an upgrade are slim IMO. But you are definitely right about them playing Edmunds closer to the line. I think particularly on Monday. After the first drive they made a noticeable adjustment they moved the entire defense up. They clearly wanted to close those intermediate zones that Tannehill found mainly off play action on the first drive and even with their young corners they asked the linebackers to attack the line of scrimmage and brought the safeties and corners up and dared Tennessee to go over the top. They did something similar second half in LA. You can't do that every game, obviously, and I think they will play things slightly differently on Sunday night given the challenge that the Dolphins present over the top but across two games they have definitely sought to play their linebackers closer to the action. I am sure that as you state their confidence in the Dline is a big part of that decision. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I never felt Frazier was the problem. He is one of the best DCs in football the chances you move on from him and get an upgrade are slim IMO. But you are definitely right about them playing Edmunds closer to the line. I think particularly on Monday. After the first drive they made a noticeable adjustment they moved the entire defense up. They clearly wanted to close those intermediate zones that Tannehill found mainly off play action on the first drive and even with their young corners they asked the linebackers to attack the line of scrimmage and brought the safeties and corners up and dared Tennessee to go over the top. They did something similar second half in LA. You can't do that every game, obviously, and I think they will play things slightly differently on Sunday night given the challenge that the Dolphins present over the top but across two games they have definitely sought to play their linebackers closer to the action. I am sure that as you state their confidence in the Dline is a big part of that decision. 

I should clarify, it wasn't that I thought Frazier was the problem, I know he is a top DC in the NFL.  But there were times his defensive play call style was frustratingly soft and it cost us.  

But I am loving what I am seeing from the defense as a whole, as I am sure we all are.  But its more than just the scoreboard, its how this defense is playing on the field with a more aggressive style.  And like we just agreed on, the performance and the new confidence they have in the DL is surely a big part of that turned up aggression. 

And yeah, I also agree we are likely going to see a different look and some adjustments Sunday though with the threat of all that speed and YAC ability lining up on the other side of the field coupled with the potential to be missing at least half, if not all, of our starting secondary for this game.  I am just really hoping both Oliver and Phillips suit up, we are going to need to disrupt Tua and help our young secondary out.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Do you expect them to play the same way against Tua?

On 9/19/2022 at 8:07 PM, balln said:

he broke his team mates neck in half bc hes slow and lacks instincts

ALSO , go watch his stellar play on henry TD on goal line. pathetic 

I don't really have words for awful of a post this is.

You really broke the mold here.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Do you expect them to play the same way against Tua?

No. If it was still Tua with Parker and Williams wide, absolutely. But with Hill and Waddle? No. I think they will give Tua the short completions. If he wants to nickel and dime his way down the field and thinks the Dolphins can go 8,9,10,11 play drives without penalties, mistakes, sacks etc then the Bills will let them have that. They will pressure him up front, drop the secondary deep, keep the game infront of them and say if you wanna take 7 yards a play then go ahead, eventually we will get you behind the sticks and off the field.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Can he go back 2  back 2 back? Remember it's consistency is his problem b.c he is only "insert number" years old.

I know this is said in jest but....

Edmunds is 24 years old.  He is 1 year older than Cook, Bernard, Quinton Morris, and Baylon Spector who are all rookies. He is the same age as Spencer Brown, Boogie, and Damar Hamlin who are in their 2nd year.

In fact he is still, in his 5th year, the 14th youngest player on the Bills.  That is wild to me.

Love to see him playing so well and hope to see it continue!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

No. If it was still Tua with Parker and Williams wide, absolutely. But with Hill and Waddle? No. I think they will give Tua the short completions. If he wants to nickel and dime his way down the field and thinks the Dolphins can go 8,9,10,11 play drives without penalties, mistakes, sacks etc then the Bills will let them have that. They will pressure him up front, drop the secondary deep, keep the game infront of them and say if you wanna take 7 yards a play then go ahead, eventually we will get you behind the sticks and off the field.

So you think they’re betting on Tua not being able to sustain long drives and will make a mistake.

13 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Loser has to get a crayfish clamp on his nipple?

lmao! good stuff!

10 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I hope Von plays all 6 years in his contract.

some here. what he is making for his game play? does not come close to...

The Value our Olinemen are getting in practice

The Value of gap integrity on defense

The Value of telling Edmunds where he is effing up WHEN it happens.

and Leadership.

Von came to this team at the right time when we needed him. Now this defense sees what a SB caliber defense really looks like.

The Von Effect.

I respectfully disagree that we should let Tua have the short/intermediate stuff. Tyreek Hill has punished the Bills in the past by turning those into long gains. I hope we move the defense up as they have the first 2 games. I don’t think Tua’s arm is strong enough to fit it into tight windows or beat us over the top. 

Edited by Floydboy12
  • Disagree 1

14 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

• Awesome! (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So you think they’re betting on Tua not being able to sustain long drives and will make a mistake.

Yea. Tua and his offensive line. Keep Hill and Waddle infront of you, rally and tackle well to the short stuff and see if Tua and the oline can play mistake free football. They might a couple of drives per game. But can they 4 or 5 times to keep up with the Bills offense.

8 hours ago, Floydboy12 said:

I respectfully disagree that we should let Tua have the short/intermediate stuff. Tyreek Hill has punished the Bills in the past by turning those into long gains. I hope we move the defense up as they have the first 2 games. I don’t think Tua’s arm is strong enough to fit it into tight windows or beat us over the top. 

I disagree. They may float rather than arrive with speed but Tua can do long balls - look at his plays against the Ravens. The Patriots defense kept the Dolphins in check whilst the Ravens let them run amok due to busted coverage.

For the betterment of the team i really hope he pans out this year. I had a lot of hope and promise for him are that first year and year 2 was an exciting year, but the last 2 years have been so frustrating. 

...but here's the deal... he's still only 24 years old!! He came into the league so young.  Some guys are rookies at 24!

On 9/20/2022 at 12:20 PM, HoofHearted said:

Having an understanding of how pass rush lanes work would help you understand what and why you are seeing what you're seeing. Go read up on box rules and being a low box vs. high box player.

Haven't found much on high/low box rules yet, but the Cover 1 segments have softened my critique. His sack and tip were great plays.

• Like (+1) 1

The next step is to see it against the likes of the Chiefs. Can’t recall one play Edmunds has made against them that made me jump out of my seat. His best play I recall was in the regular season game last year when Mahomes was scrambling to his right and Edmunds moved with him, but was looking all around trying to find the guy Mahomes would want to throw to. I liked the awareness he showed on that play and is my most memorable play of Edmunds vs the Chiefs.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.