Edmunds…back to back good games. Facts. (Update: Another good game)

Alphadawg7

9 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Because I'm a glutton for punishment: https://www.profootballnetwork.com/top-32-nfl-linebackers-2022/

Edmunds was a hot top-20 guy for folks that liked his athleticism and were willing to write 2020 off as an anomaly, and then he followed it up with an equally terrible 2021.

I'm not going to erase 4 seasons of gross underachievement because of 2 games where our entire defense demolished the other team. I don't even care if he balls out all year. It's too late. Let him be this year's Albert Haynesworth.

Well there better be another player available that does what McDermott wants him to do in this defense if that is the case what’s your suggestion

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Well there better be another player available that does what McDermott wants him to do in this defense if that is the case what’s your suggestion

A good LB with Edmunds' traits will only be available in the 1st or 2nd rd, I imagine. He'd need to be the pick at 32.

If that's what the Bills want, I'm not against it, but it will need to be that early pick.

7 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Will this Edmunds thread reach the same amount of pages as the Araiza thread?

that thread is at 299 pages.

There's no way. No ***** way. You're crazy man, crazy.

John Travolta Danny GIF

14 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

A good LB with Edmunds' traits will only be available in the 1st or 2nd rd, I imagine. He'd need to be the pick at 32.

If that's what the Bills want, I'm not against it, but it will need to be that early pick.

that thread is at 299 pages.

There's no way. No ***** way. You're crazy man, crazy.

John Travolta Danny GIF

Yeah but Edmunds will be here the entire season.  Any missed tackle, wrong gap filled is at least 75 pages worth.

1 hour ago, eball said:

I count at least three “splash” plays from Monday night: sack of Tannehill, TFL on Henry, and the outstanding deflection that led to Poyer’s INT.

He actually had 2 tackles for loss as well as the sack and the pass defense that you mention. That matches the best "splash play" line of his career thus far which came in the Seahawks game of 2020. 

As I said earlier, there is a strong argument that the last 6 Quarters he has played have been the most consistent consecutive quarters of high level football in his career. If Tremaine keeps playing like this the Bills will absolutely find a way to extend him. I am convinced that them letting him play on the option was a signal of "look Tremaine we like you but we need to see more consistency from you - if you want to stay here you gotta go out there and earn it." 

So far, so good. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He actually had 2 tackles for loss as well as the sack and the pass defense that you mention. That matches the best "splash play" line of his career thus far which came in the Seahawks game of 2020. 

As I said earlier, there is a strong argument that the last 6 Quarters he has played have been the most consistent consecutive quarters of high level football in his career. If Tremaine keeps playing like this the Bills will absolutely find a way to extend him. I am convinced that them letting him play on the option was a signal of "look Tremaine we like you but we need to see more consistency from you - if you want to stay here you gotta go out there and earn it." 

So far, so good. 

My main criticism of Edmunds in the past has been his lack of play-making in the middle. No TFLs, tipped passes, INTs, etc. And when compared to his counterpart, Luke Kuechly was such a playmaker it made him look even worse. I've always been waiting for him to look anything like Kuechly.

In separate conversations about McD and his DL rotation, it was noted that he rotated heavily in Carolina as well, UNTIL he had better DLinemen and then the rotation rate dropped.

As I look back, it would seem the improved DL coincided with Kuechly's addition and performance.

Maybe what we've been waiting for is the DL to get to the level that McD's Defense requires, in order to free up the MLB who has a ridiculous amount of responsibilities in that scheme as well.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

I think the reason we have bashed him, is because he simply hasn't played well the last two years in a lot of our minds.

I am not an Edmunds fan, but I think he has played well the first two weeks.

It's not like us fans "hate him".  It's just we wanna see more and I don't think it's that unreasonable to say that

There is a reason why the Bills haven't extended him yet while other guys drafted after him are getting extensions. They clearly also want to see more. (Just like us fans)

So let's hope he can keep Up this good play

Lets just try not to turn this into, "I'm right vs your wrong" and polarize Edmunds even more.

At the end of the day we all want to see Edmunds succeed.

Criticism is fair of any player when its warranted, and Edmunds has had his share of fair criticism.  But, the Edmunds hate has surpassed Whitner levels around here at times to where he would have a good game and the same people would yet again start another thread bashing him.  Edmunds has made 2 pro bowls, 5th in the NFL in tackles since entering the league, the captain of a top ranked defense, constant praise from his teammates, staff, and peers...his play hasn't been so bad that 200 threads need to be started a season committed to trashing him.  

He has had things he needed to improve...no doubt.  He hasn't been perfect...no doubt.  But he also has not been a total train wreck like so many people here like to portray.  

And now Edmunds contract is a looming decision for this team, so how he plays this year is what it is really going to come down to.  And even though I started this thread, I do NOT think he has automatically earned his next deal.  Based on what the expected market is going to be for him, I think like most people, we need to see more from him and more consistent impact plays before he even becomes a consideration to resign (unless he was to take a team friendly deal that is more affordable than we expect).  And even if he has a great season, still doesn't even mean we can afford to resign him with other deals also looming and a tight cap.  

But the only point of this thread was to point out his improved play so far this season, and something to keep an eye on.  As a TSW whipping boy, he earned at least one thread that recognized that his good play on the field has been noticed.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

My main criticism of Edmunds in the past has been his lack of play-making in the middle. No TFLs, tipped passes, INTs, etc. And when compared to his counterpart, Luke Kuechly was such a playmaker it made him look even worse. I've always been waiting for him to look anything like Kuechly.

In separate conversations about McD and his DL rotation, it was noted that he rotated heavily in Carolina as well, UNTIL he had better DLinemen and then the rotation rate dropped.

As I look back, it would seem the improved DL coincided with Kuechly's addition and performance.

Maybe what we've been waiting for is the DL to get to the level that McD's Defense requires, in order to free up the MLB who has a ridiculous amount of responsibilities in that scheme as well.

This is a good post, and I think there is also one more layer to it, and IMHO its been evident on the field this year compared to years past.  Frazier frustratingly used Edmunds more like a safety net or last line of defense out there than an aggressive MLB in the past.  It was like Frazier didn't trust the front 4 to win in the trenches, so he played Edmunds deeper off the ball and relied on his range and athleticism to try and minimize the damage of losing up front.  This is why I have been saying the last couple years, I think the things people hate most about Edmunds is more tied to how Frazier has used him.  

This year, its like they turned Edmunds loose and let him play more aggressive.  He feels closer to the ball and all over the field.  And I think that has everything to do with the revamped DL.  The fact they are playing at a much higher level already helps the LB's do their job better, then you add in Frazier seems to trust the front 4 more and allowing Edmunds to play more closer to the action and be more of an aggressor or enforcer out of the MLB spot.  

One of the reasons I wanted Frazier to get a HC gig is because I was hoping to see what another DC would do with Edmunds and how he would use him.  But so far, it seems we didn't need a new DC, we just needed a new DL for Frazier to seemingly turn Edmunds loose more.  Its only been 2 weeks though, so we will see if that continues or not.  I just hope Frazier doesn't start to fall back into the soft bend but don't break mentality.  I love seeing this D be aggressive.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.