Edmunds…back to back good games. Facts. (Update: Another good game)

Alphadawg7

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Edmunds has played well the first two weeks. He still doesn't pop for me in the way that players like Milano or Poyer do from time to time, but he's been more consistent and is doing his 1/11 in the defense better than ever. With the talent around him and the elite defensive coaching, that is good enough. Unfortunately for him we paid other players while waiting for him to take that next step. If we could somehow get him on a 3-4 year deal with Milano's AAV I would take that right now. I fear he is going to get offered a monster contract in FA and we are at the point in our life cycle as a team where we will have to let those kinds of players walk. If he loves it here and gives us a hometown discount, great. If not, I don't begrudge him for making his money while he can and I wish him well.

His value for other teams is far, far higher than it is or our team...that's just how it is...

Other teams are DYING to find someone with his length, athleticism and ability to help compress windows in the middle of the field and get deep. On top of that he is still a young player and they likely feel he can continue to get better and grow.  He is a MAJOR reason why we have had the best pass D in the NFL over the last several years. We just focus on his negatives rather than that.  Other teams are allowing 100+ yards more a game passing on average than we do, they would LOVE to put him in the middle of their defense and have him help drop that number and will pay a LOT more than we will for that to happen.

I think many Bills fans will be absolutely shocked at the contract he gets from someone.

Edited by Big Turk

15 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

@HoofHeartedcan confirm but I'm pretty sure that's a result of base nickel. Edmunds and Milano both 2gap and the nickel plays the 9hole playside w/the weakside safety plays the other 9

Nah. Base 4-2-5 principles is a 1 gap scheme. Tennessee was running Duo against our 4-2 box. Looks like we were running man coverage to the two receiver side and Cloud coverage to the Tight End/Wing. Duo uses the same blocking rules as Zone - covered to uncovered to backside backer. Basically if you're covered block the guy covering you, if you are uncovered combo the guy to your play side, if the combo overtakes then the initial covered will work up to second level defender (backers). The only movement on the defensive line was from Phillips who slanted from a 3 to a 1 post snap which had both defensive tackles clog A Gaps. It looks like they are back fitting the backers in order to allow Poyer to be a coverage player and not have a run fit responsibility to the Tight End/Wing side while also allowing for Taron Johnson to be an unblocked B gap fitter he was just late to fold.

Here is the blocking scheme:

1115711626_Screenshot2022-09-21092317.thumb.png.c1fdfa687f7ef397ebbf63f3b202aedc.png

Here's how we fit it:

1621667383_Screenshot2022-09-21092656.thumb.png.3fbdf9ffc966a714eaf5b2e2ad79bfec.png

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I was hyping one drive, where he made three straight plays to force a 3 and out, I was barely in the shout box.  

And why does a player in his final year of his contract (who is in line for a significant deal) on a team with multiple personnel decisions looming have a lot to prove?  Do you really not know the answer to that question?  We don’t exactly have a ton of cap space, every contract we sign will have extra scrutiny from this point on.  

Oliver has a lot to prove too.  Oliver isn’t a slam dunk give him the bag on his next contract either.  We don’t have the cap space to just automatically re-up every player based on what their market value will be.  

And while Edmunds has been valuable here, had some success, made pro bowls, been the captain of the defense…he still had some areas he needed to improve on before we could even consider resigning him based on what the expected market range for him will be.  Everyone knows that, whether they are positive or negative on him.  No one is delusional on him and thinks he had nothing to prove.  

Oliver is in the same boat.  The only difference with Oliver is he started showing improvement in areas he needed to improve on last year.  But he still hasn’t for sure locked down his next contract here and his continued improvement will need to be seen this year as well.  And his first game against Rams sure looked like he is headed that way.  But again, he is going to have to have a good season if they are going to pay him what the market will likely be for him.  And I think Oliver will do just that, but it still has to happen.

Again…I find it interesting people felt the need to take exception to a thread giving praise to a player you deserved it for improving his play noticeably to start the season.  Especially one who plays a significant role for this team.  

Oh, and as far as your 5 years comment…he broke out a long time ago, his detractors refuse to admit he isn’t as bad as they exaggerate him to be.  Edmunds should have had several threads last year for example praising his play in a game, but instead his detractors posted more negative bias threads to continue their whipping boy agenda.  So, this isn’t a player finally showing promise, he’s a multiple pro bowl player who is 5th in the NFL in tackles since entering the league who has been the captain of one of the top ranked defenses.  Yes he had some areas of weakness he still needed to improve, but he was not minutely close to as bad as people portray here.  

I’m sorry but I completely disagree. Oliver has played at a much higher level for longer and much more consistently than Edmunds.

In my mind, and I suspect Beane and McD’s mind, Oliver is infinitely closer to getting “locked up” than Edmunds.

If they were both FA’s at the same time, the Bills would prioritize Oliver. 

33 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I’m sorry but I completely disagree. Oliver has played at a much higher level for longer and much more consistently than Edmunds.

In my mind, and I suspect Beane and McD’s mind, Oliver is infinitely closer to getting “locked up” than Edmunds.

If they were both FA’s at the same time, the Bills would prioritize Oliver. 

I don’t disagree with Oliver being higher priority at the moment and closer to getting that deal.  Like I said, Oliver started turning the corner last year of improved play.  But…he is not a lock for an extension based on what the expectation of what his price tag will be.  He still will need to keep playing well and impacting the game this season if they are going to hang him a big bag this off-season.  

And I said I do expect that to happen, but he doesn’t have enough time established at that level to play to just default they will pay him big money.  And another factor to not over look is how well Phillips and the other DTs are playing.  

So I think maybe you misunderstood or misread my point.  Was never doubting Oliver, I fully believe he will keep this up.  But if you think he has already 100% earned that contract regardless of how he plays this year, then I think that is jumping the gun.  If he has meh season, then he will likely enter the last year of his deal just like Edmunds without an extension yet and see what he does the year after.

But again, I have full confidence Oliver will have a great season personally and fully expect to extend Oliver this offseason.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

20 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Likely, his assignment was both gaps. That's the general rule of our scheme and the pressure it puts on Edmunds. Cover1 did a really good analysis of it last year.

Again, usually an Edmunds detractor here, and I hate seeing plays like that as well. But from what has been previously outlined, and given the way he played that down, it is very likely he had responsibility for both gaps, and had to play the inside first.

Not only that, but if you watch the DL - AJ goes upfield outside and the other DT and DE both were sliding to the right.  I think it was a designed slide right - giving Edmunds the inside gap, but the DT got stoned by the guard and it opened a hole where the DT should of been.

You would love to see Edmunds then forgo his gap and fill the opening, but that is not Tremaine - he does his 1/11th and is right where he should be because McD teaches do your responsibilities and allow others to do their responsibility.  If Edmunds hits outside and the DT fights through - suddenly you leave a gap in the middle.

Without benefit of knowing the call - I do not blame Edmunds and to go a step further - The DT got moved backwards into Edmunds and that limited his flow once he was sure his area was secure.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Not only that, but if you watch the DL - Groot goes upfield outside and the other DT and DE both were sliding to the right.  I think it was a designed slide right - giving Edmunds the inside gap, but the DT got stoned by the guard and it opened a hole where the DT should of been.

You would love to see Edmunds then forgo his gap and fill the opening, but that is not Tremaine - he does his 1/11th and is right where he should be because McD teaches do your responsibilities and allow others to do their responsibility.  If Edmunds hits outside and the DT fights through - suddenly you leave a gap in the middle.

Without benefit of knowing the call - I do not blame Edmunds and to go a step further - The DT got moved backwards into Edmunds and that limited his flow once he was sure his area was secure.

Duo is designed to hit strongside A gap. If Edmunds vacated his gap responsibility to fit backside B gap where it hit everyone would be pissed he vacated his gap. The stunt from Phillips and the initial fit from Edmunds is what forced the ball to cutback backside B. That play was on Taron, not Edmunds.

Edited by HoofHearted
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

Duo is designed to hit strongside A gap. If Edmunds vacated his gap responsibility to fit backside B gap where it hit everyone would be pissed he vacated his gap. The stunt from Phillips and the initial fit from Edmunds is what forced the ball to cutback backside B. That play was on Taron, not Edmunds.

The only way it was possible for Taron to get there is if he had zero responsibility from the WR lined up across him and immediately blitzed from the slot. Even then I’m not 100% sold Taron Johnson stops Derrick Henry. (1:50 mark)

Just now, JayBaller10 said:

The only way it was possible for Taron to get there is if he had zero responsibility from the WR lined up across him and immediately blitzed from the slot. Even then I’m not 100% sold Taron Johnson stops Derrick Henry. (1:50 mark)

That's exactly right - he had no responsibility for that receiver. They were disguising their front - showing a 4-2 box when really they were playing 4-3 principles.

3 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

That's exactly right - he had no responsibility for that receiver. They were disguising their front - showing a 4-2 box when really they were playing 4-3 principles.

Then I have no idea why Taron didn’t immediately crash down. The bigger fault is rolling 5 DBs out there against that heavy package. Get some more beef on the DL, or more than two LBers on the field. 

5 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Then I have no idea why Taron didn’t immediately crash down. The bigger fault is rolling 5 DBs out there against that heavy package. Get some more beef on the DL, or more than two LBers on the field. 

Trying to hold the disguise as long as possible. Epenesa did him no favors either allowing that B gap to widen. Margin for error is next to nothing down there.

22 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

Dude your gonna have a heart attack when he signs a top 5 LB contract this off-season.

Oh, I don't doubt it. His contract numbers don't mean much though. Trash players get paid all the time.

22 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

Please enlighten us all-if it’s 35, stretch out a little, give us the first 40 that are better than him 

Here are 32. You'll have to live with that.
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-linebacker-rankings-and-tiers-monson-2022

23 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Oh, I don't doubt it. His contract numbers don't mean much though. Trash players get paid all the time.

Here are 32. You'll have to live with that.
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-linebacker-rankings-and-tiers-monson-2022

Lol, you do realize PFF doesn't even have his stats added in from the second game right?  It shows him with 10 tackles, he had 10 tackles in just the Rams game.  So yeah, your list is wrong.  Not to mention, its not really a 1-32 ranking, its some ranking (again off incomplete data) and then some smaller group rankings with tiers where they list the first few only in that alleged tier.  But again, all off incorrect data.  

Poster asked you to list 35 guys better than him...you couldn't, found an inaccurate data list, didn't check it...then posted it.  If you are going to claim X number are better than him, then you better be able cite every single person YOU are ranking ahead of him.  Otherwise you're just BS'ing a bunch of nonsense.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think the reason we have bashed him, is because he simply hasn't played well the last two years in a lot of our minds.

I am not an Edmunds fan, but I think he has played well the first two weeks.

It's not like us fans "hate him".  It's just we wanna see more and I don't think it's that unreasonable to say that

There is a reason why the Bills haven't extended him yet while other guys drafted after him are getting extensions. They clearly also want to see more. (Just like us fans)

So let's hope he can keep Up this good play

Lets just try not to turn this into, "I'm right vs your wrong" and polarize Edmunds even more.

At the end of the day we all want to see Edmunds succeed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lol, you do realize PFF doesn't even have his stats added in from the second game right?  It shows him with 10 tackles, he had 10 tackles in just the Rams game.  So yeah, your list is wrong.  Not to mention, its not really a 1-32 ranking, its some ranking (again off incomplete data) and then some smaller group rankings with tiers where they list the first few only in that alleged tier.  But again, all off incorrect data.  

Poster asked you to list 35 guys better than him...you couldn't, found an inaccurate data list, didn't check it...then posted it.  If you are going to claim X number are better than him, then you better be able cite every single person YOU are ranking ahead of him.  Otherwise you're just BS'ing a bunch of nonsense.  

What are you talking about? This list is dated May 24, 2022.

Start over.

Because I'm a glutton for punishment: https://www.profootballnetwork.com/top-32-nfl-linebackers-2022/

Edmunds was a hot top-20 guy for folks that liked his athleticism and were willing to write 2020 off as an anomaly, and then he followed it up with an equally terrible 2021.

I'm not going to erase 4 seasons of gross underachievement because of 2 games where our entire defense demolished the other team. I don't even care if he balls out all year. It's too late. Let him be this year's Albert Haynesworth.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Because I'm a glutton for punishment: https://www.profootballnetwork.com/top-32-nfl-linebackers-2022/

Edmunds was a hot top-20 guy for folks that liked his athleticism and were willing to write 2020 off as an anomaly, and then he followed it up with an equally terrible 2021.

I'm not going to erase 4 seasons of gross underachievement because of 2 games where our entire defense demolished the other team. I don't even care if he balls out all year. It's too late. Let him be this year's Albert Haynesworth.

harsh
 But reasonably so
McD still love him so much.
 keeping hope alive he just gets beasty and starts destroying RB coming out of the back field and fools who try shallow crossers in front of him.

Just let our DBs know he is going to play head down football and stand clear while he comes downhill

😋

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.