Edmunds…back to back good games. Facts. (Update: Another good game)

Alphadawg7

The hit on Dane was very unfortunate. I tend to think he needs to be a little more in control there, but it's hard to place too much blame on him. It was a really unfortunate accident.

He is really something in pass pro, and he's coming around on the run defense finally. This was an outstanding tackle in particular 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I was a huge Edmunds hater last year and previous. He never attacked the ball and it drove me nuts. He has been playing down hill this year and really flying to the ball and filling holes. Hes always been long and able to cover a huge area of the zone. Is he finally a complete player year 5!? I like what i see and want to see more of it. Go Bills!

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

"Edmunds has been super underrated and is actually really good......which is why our FO has shown very little interest in prioritizing a long-term extension for him"

This is what people like you believe.

I know it sounds crazy, but whether or not a player gets a contract extension isn’t the only way to judge how good they are

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Much of Edmunds game goes unappreciated. I, myself have always clamored for him to be more instinctual and this year he’s been at his best in that category. He does sometimes have a problem disengaging from blocks, but it’s hard to be perfect. You can’t teach his size, and his wingspan severely narrows the middle of the field. He takes away passing lanes unlike many linebackers in the nfl are able to.  The play with Dane is an unfortunate result of playing aggressive, something many around here have criticized him for being lacking in the past. I hope we continue to see his growth, and playmaking ability, bc he making a difference so far.

• Like (+1) 1

There were people who are the end of 2020 still said Josh had a ways to go, so there will be people who watch Tremaine and until he is the best LB in the league by a large margin will continue to bash him. Now he is a stat man and a big play guy, only thing left is a championship, but some still won't be happy 

• Vomit 1

6 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

I love how you still take a shot at him when he makes a good play.  "Yeah, he got the sack, but it was unopposed so it's still not that good."  As if other guys on the team don't get sacks "unopposed" and then get called out on it here.  Never once have I seen Milano, Hyde, Poyer, etc get called out when they get to the QB on a blitz because they weren't blocked...isn't that the idea behind a blitz?

He's good at other things, just surprised they called his number as a Blitzer. 

5 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

Having an understanding of how pass rush lanes work would help you understand what and why you are seeing what you're seeing. Go read up on box rules and being a low box vs. high box player.

Homework assignment accepted.

Meh. What Edmunds did to Dane Jackson is the type of play only he could make. He processes the game so slowly that the play was over before he even broke into his stance for the hit. On top of him being a half hour late to the hit, he also ***** missed on top of it. He's a 🤡 and it cost his team tonight.

Sorry if I'm unimpressed by him running unencumbered against Tannehill. Everyone on the defense made plays yesterday and only one of them nearly paralyzed their own teammate.

• Vomit 4
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Likely, his assignment was both gaps. That's the general rule of our scheme and the pressure it puts on Edmunds. Cover1 did a really good analysis of it last year.

Again, usually an Edmunds detractor here, and I hate seeing plays like that as well. But from what has been previously outlined, and given the way he played that down, it is very likely he had responsibility for both gaps, and had to play the inside first.

If one player has responsibility for two gaps, that’s a flaw in the scheme. Especially in a short yardage or goal line situation. And if that’s the case, I can see why Edmunds just stands there in the endzone rather than attack - he doesn’t know where to go because he has no one specific responsibility. With that said, because it is impossible for one player to cover two gaps on a running down, I wish Edmunds would just make a decision and shoot one of them. Fire through and attack. It looks much worse when your unblocked MLB is standing flat-footed in the endzone while the RB runs right through for a relatively easy 6.

I don’t remember which game it was last year (Patriots #1?) but I recall our coaches being frustrated with the linebacker play and openly calling on Milano and Edmunds to shoot a gap and make a play. Not long after Milano had two solid TFLs doing just that. 

Lots of good coverage relevant to this discussion. Its funny the fiery debates that occur here when this validated source (validated by real NFL players joining the show at times and agreeing on their film review based assessments) paints the picture very clearly, time and time again. Yet folks still think they know better somehow, incredibly.

Edited by 34-78-83
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Meh. What Edmunds did to Dane Jackson is the type of play only he could make. He processes the game so slowly that the play was over before he even broke into his stance for the hit. On top of him being a half hour late to the hit, he also ***** missed on top of it. He's a 🤡 and it cost his team tonight.

Sorry if I'm unimpressed by him running unencumbered against Tannehill. Everyone on the defense made plays yesterday and only one of them nearly paralyzed their own teammate.

I am truly curious how many good LBs are in the NFL? And how many do you think are better Tremaine?

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

If one player has responsibility for two gaps, that’s a flaw in the scheme. Especially in a short yardage or goal line situation. And if that’s the case, I can see why Edmunds just stands there in the endzone rather than attack - he doesn’t know where to go because he has no one specific responsibility. With that said, because it is impossible for one player to cover two gaps on a running down, I wish Edmunds would just make a decision and shoot one of them. Fire through and attack. It looks much worse when your unblocked MLB is standing flat-footed in the endzone while the RB runs right through for a relatively easy 6.

I don’t remember which game it was last year (Patriots #1?) but I recall our coaches being frustrated with the linebacker play and openly calling on Milano and Edmunds to shoot a gap and make a play. Not long after Milano had two solid TFLs doing just that. 

@HoofHeartedcan confirm but I'm pretty sure that's a result of base nickel. Edmunds and Milano both 2gap and the nickel plays the 9hole playside w/the weakside safety plays the other 9

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Lots of good coverage relevant to this discussion. Its funny the fiery debates that occur here when this validated source (validated by real NFL players joining the show at times and agreeing on their film review based assessments) paints the picture very clearly, time and time again.

Yes, this is an excellent video. 

Shows how the Bills defense should work if the players  execute and beat their man.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

@HoofHeartedcan confirm but I'm pretty sure that's a result of base nickel. Edmunds and Milano both 2gap and the nickel plays the 9hole playside w/the weakside safety plays the other 9

I just know the Bills aren’t calling nickel on the goal line on 4th and 1 against Derrick Henry. Does someone have the All-22 to look at the defensive personnel on that play?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.