Edmunds…back to back good games. Facts. (Update: Another good game)

Alphadawg7

2 hours ago, Lfod said:

I don't really want to derail the thread from people getting to talk about how he played so I'm not going to elaborate too much. 

I don't think he intentionally injured some one on purpose but it does feel sort of like an anomaly never seeing anything quite like that. It hit me differently I must admit. 

I know that leading tackles with your head can bring fines for helmet to helmet hits and it looked like to me he dove in head first blindly. Like if he dove head first blindly and it was a helmet to helmet hit. 

All I can say is something about it feels wrong to me but it could just be the perfect camera angle showing it so clear. I hope people can be better than me because I wouldn't be cool with it if I was the one in that situation. 

You mess with my health and my potential future earnings trying to dog pile on a tackle I already made I'm not gonna be your friend anymore. 

It's so easy for us as fans to see a replay in slow motion, over & over again, and claim that a "smart" or "good" player could have seen that coming and altered his trajectory, or put on the brakes.

In real motion, I don't think any of us can really understand how fast the game moves on the field.  And we want guys to play aggressive - we want a 2nd defender to come in for the hit, to either ensure the tackle or knock the ball loose.  

That's just the game.  It's basically a split second where he has to completely change his mindset from aggressive and high energy to cautious.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

12 hours ago, In Summary said:

Edmunds sack came unopposed with an open lane. I've never seen him do that fighting off a committed blocker. He's not a pass rusher. Lacks necessary hand fighting skills for one.  Suppose it was a clever call to send him because it worked.

As to his hit I'm not impressed or apologetic. Seems the better players impact the play early on rather than finish it late in that manner.  Just my take.

Having an understanding of how pass rush lanes work would help you understand what and why you are seeing what you're seeing. Go read up on box rules and being a low box vs. high box player.

Haven't people seen that the entire back 7 for the Bills have been flying around like crazed assassins these first 2 games?

It's no doubt a result of the new scheme of the DL and the great results they have had.

Edmunds is no exception, and none of us know what kind of player he would have been if the D played this style the last 4 years.

What I see is Edmunds and Milano (along with Poyer and Hyde) being "released" to play fast and furious and it's working great.

I did predict (after all the Bills don't need to blitz talk) that Edmunds would get a sack yesterday.  The run blitzing derailed Henry too.

What future Edmunds ultimately finds himself in, I don't know yet.  I do know I like what I'm seeing.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Success said:

It's so easy for us as fans to see a replay in slow motion, over & over again, and claim that a "smart" or "good" player could have seen that coming and altered his trajectory, or put on the brakes.

In real motion, I don't think any of us can really understand how fast the game moves on the field.  And we want guys to play aggressive - we want a 2nd defender to come in for the hit, to either ensure the tackle or knock the ball loose.  

That's just the game.  It's basically a split second where he has to completely change his mindset from aggressive and high energy to cautious.

Even in slow motion he goes over the top of the guy right after the guy hits the ground, like WTF are we even talking about, that wouldn't even have been a penalty if he'd hit the Titan's player.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

14 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Edmunds has now had good games in back to back to weeks.  This includes big impact plays tonight including sack and tipping a pass for an Int.  One drive he dominated the Titans for 3 downs to almost single handedly force them off the field.  

So since everyone starts a thread trashing him even after good games, I figured it was time he got a thread praising his play because he’s been very good these first 2 weeks.

He still has to prove it the rest of the season to see where he fits in the Bills future plans, but he’s off to a very good start and he has earned some praise.  

I have been very critical of Edmunds.  I don’t think he played as well as you believe he did last week - especially when it came to getting off blocks.  

However I do not dispute that he had an excellent game last night and was a difference maker.  The big sack is just what we are looking for in Edmunds.  He made a number of other big plays.   These are the type of plays that were lacking from Edmunds.  

Before you say “the big plays were always there,” that isn’t me saying this.  This is what Leslie Frazier and Brandon Brandon said publicly.  

59 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I have been very critical of Edmunds.  I don’t think he played as well as you believe he did last week - especially when it came to getting off blocks.  

However I do not dispute that he had an excellent game last night and was a difference maker.  The big sack is just what we are looking for in Edmunds.  He made a number of other big plays.   These are the type of plays that were lacking from Edmunds.  

Before you say “the big plays were always there,” that isn’t me saying this.  This is what Leslie Frazier and Brandon Brandon said publicly.  

Don't get my post wrong, I am not suggesting Edmunds has played this good always.  I have been critical of him too when it was warranted.  However, there have been many times, and I do mean many times, where Edmunds and the D had a very good game and still there was a thread thrashing Edmunds after that game because someone wants to ignore the body of work that game and nit pick a single play to paint a negative narrative.  

My stance on Edmunds has been simple...he is nowhere near as bad as his harshest distractors like to paint, but still did need to make his presence felt more impactfully on a consistent basis.  I will say this though, I do think a part of what the issue has been is how Frazier has used him so much in the past where he felt like a big 3rd safety more than a MLB enforcing in the front 7.  Edmunds has felt more like a last line of defense for the DL when they were not winning the LOS in the run game or pass game in years past.  This year, he is all over the field playing more aggressive and more as an enforcer.  

So not only am I seeing a big difference in Edmunds play this year, but also in how he is being used.  Edmunds use seems less like a safety net for Fraziers D and more now of an enforcer.  Its like Frazier now trusts the front 4 to do their job and doesn't have to rely on Edmunds roaming with his athleticism to mitigate the damage when the DL loses in the trenches.  This puts Edmunds in more positions more often to make more of those splash plays, plays closer to the LOS, sacks, etc.  

So for me, I think it is two fold here.  Frazier's retooled DL means he can trust them more allowing him to use more Edmunds more as an aggressor/enforcer  and less as a last line of defense, and then Edmunds is responding and rising to the occasion...at least so far through 2 games.  It's a long season, so we will see how this plays out moving forward.  But I am liking what I am seeing and this is what I wanted to see Frazier start to do with Edmunds for the past few years.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

This is true. But it’s also true that if Edmunds attacked the gap to his right with violence, there’s a good chance Henry doesn’t score (assuming Edmunds puts a hit on him). But I’m not here to whine and complain about the plays he didn’t make after a 34 point win. Solid showing by him and the rest of the defense all around. 

We also don't know what his assignment on the play was either.  

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

But you’d still like to see him attack an open gap on a 4th and 1 at the goal line. We don’t know his assignment, but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t “stand flat-footed in the EZ while Henry rushes through uncontested.”
I’d rather a guy go all out in making the wrong decision than get caught in no man’s land and make no decision at all.

5 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

This is true. But it’s also true that if Edmunds attacked the gap to his right with violence, there’s a good chance Henry doesn’t score (assuming Edmunds puts a hit on him). But I’m not here to whine and complain about the plays he didn’t make after a 34 point win. Solid showing by him and the rest of the defense all around. 

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Likely, his assignment was both gaps. That's the general rule of our scheme and the pressure it puts on Edmunds. Cover1 did a really good analysis of it last year.

Again, usually an Edmunds detractor here, and I hate seeing plays like that as well. But from what has been previously outlined, and given the way he played that down, it is very likely he had responsibility for both gaps, and had to play the inside first.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.