Edmunds…back to back good games. Facts. (Update: Another good game)

Alphadawg7

15 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

This and it’s almost like he also has a real D Line in front of him now too.  How much was he compensating for an average at best D Line in past seasons?

Can’t argue with that.  Combination of both.  I love the results though!

29 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

This and it’s almost like he also has a real D Line in front of him now too.  How much was he compensating for an average at best D Line in past seasons?

Unfortunately he's always going to need that type of dline. He is a player that doesn't make those around him better, they have to make him better. Will be interesting if we commit to him long term.

• Agree 1

Just now, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Unfortunately he's always going to need that type of dline. He is a player that doesn't make those around him better, they have to make him better. Will be interesting if we commit to him long term.

So like all elite LBers will need a DL in front of him, yeah we already know.  Ray Lewis even said as much many times.

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

So like all elite LBers will need a DL in front of him, yeah we already know.  Ray Lewis even said as much many times.

The difference between Edmunds and Milano is substantial, especially in the run game. It is what it is at this point, but I'm still not jumping on this bandwagon, especially after watching the sequence last week after the Josh Allen fumble.

1 minute ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

The difference between Edmunds and Milano is substantial, especially in the run game. It is what it is at this point, but I'm still not jumping on this bandwagon, especially after watching the sequence last week after the Josh Allen fumble.

There is a Difference in assignments within the WLB (easiest LBer position to play) and MLB (hardest LBer position to play), probably should stop comparing apples to oranges and be happy we have 2 top end LBers on this defense, there are alot of team that do not have 1.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

There is a Difference in assignments within the WLB (easiest LBer position to play) and MLB (hardest LBer position to play), probably should stop comparing apples to oranges and be happy we have 2 top end LBers on this defense, there are alot of team that do not have 1.

The goal is to win your assignment, whatever it is. And read your keys. Those are not apples to oranges things, sorry. 

He's going to get paid. Is he willing to take the home team discount or does he want top dollar? He doesn't get a lot of love around here but there's at least a dozen teams that wish they had that kind of presence in the middle of the field. Him and Poyer can likely make way more $ elsewhere so it will be interesting to see what they choose to do. Milano took the hometown discount in part because for whatever reason he's not a big name guy but you can't expect everyone to do so

4 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

The goal is to win your assignment, whatever it is. And read your keys. Those are not apples to oranges things, sorry. 

So want to show me where Milano wins his assignment and Edmunds doesnt?  

I can show Milano not winning his assignment.  So that means what he is a bad LBer?

Fact is there are 32 teams in this league that WOULD be bidding on Edmunds if he hits UFA.

Based on your Take Milano is the Better LBer.  You have the data right that shows Milano winning assignments at a higher rate then Edmunds?

Edited by MAJBobby

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I can show Milano not winning his assignment.  So that means what he is a bad LBer?

Fact is there are 32 teams in this league that WOULD be bidding on Edmunds if he hits UFA.

Based on your Take Milano is the Better LBer.  You have the data right that shows Milano winning assignments at a higher rate then Edmunds?

I've seen enough for me to form an opinion. If you disagree, that's fine. I would definitely trade Edmunds for another Milano, any day of the week.

And no, 32 teams would not be bidding for him. Seems like we will get to see how that goes though, doesn't it? 

15 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

He’s not worth the money. 
He couldn’t tackle Lamar in open space and almost cost us the game. 
I don’t like him. 

Those are the most likely. I don’t dislike him, and I think if he played in a more attacking defense they’d coach him up much differently. 
He’s going to get a great payday and I think he’s going to have a good career as long as he’s healthy. I will not be angry with whatever they decide to do with him. I’m happy to keep him and I’ll cheer for him elsewhere as long as he’s not playing Buffalo. 

Moss. Motor. Cook. 
We’re onto the running backs now. 

Most NFL players one on one are going to miss tackling Lamar in open space.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

Most NFL players one on one are going to miss tackling Lamar in open space.

100% in agreement there, I was just listing reasons people use for disliking him. The threads were merged so it’s probably a little out of context now. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Tremaine Edmunds for some reason has had the most unrealistic expectations cast upon him teh second he was drafted.

Its funny though how when there is a big run play its always Edmunds fault and never Milanos.

Edmunds will go to Baltimore or Pitt next year, IMO. 

5 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I've seen enough for me to form an opinion. If you disagree, that's fine. I would definitely trade Edmunds for another Milano, any day of the week.

And no, 32 teams would not be bidding for him. Seems like we will get to see how that goes though, doesn't it? 

Clearly you do not talk to other fans bases. or listen to other coaches how much they ACTUALLY talk about Edmunds.

Clearly you have no idea the responsibilities of the two positions, or the play (news flash Milano isnt as great as you think he is).  

Sorry to tell you Edmunds is going no where watch because actual coaches understand the impact he makes on the field in this defense.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Clearly you do not talk to other fans bases. or listen to other coaches how much they ACTUALLY talk about Edmunds.

Clearly you have no idea the responsibilities of the two positions, or the play (news flash Milano isnt as great as you think he is).  

Sorry to tell you Edmunds is going no where watch because actual coaches understand the impact he makes on the field in this defense.

To further add.. Chicago fans don’t want Roquan Smith to be paid… 
Tampa fans were calling David washed up last night and wanting devin white used only as a pass rusher. 
Pittsburgh hates devin Bush (the only one I might agree with) 

Baltmore fans are really skeptical of Patrick Queen. 

The grass isn’t always greener and even if they do let edmunds leave the odds are his replacement will not be an upgrade. 

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

To me Edmunds seems more aggressive this year. While he doesn't always make the play when given the opportunity, this year he's making them far more often. He's definitely taken a step forward this year.

McBean may have solved their most perplexing question to date, how do we get Edmunds to improve, introduce him to a contract year. My proposal......sign Edmunds to a series of 1 year contracts until he retires.😄

1 hour ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

How much was he compensating for an average at best D Line in past seasons?

I guess you will find out when he plays behind the worst defensive line of his career next year when he signs elsewhere.:lol:

Bottom line:   walk years either bring out the best in a player or bring out the worst.    He's got a lot of money on the line and he started from the bottom of the barrel with low expectations from the fans this year after a disappointing season culminated with a disappearing act in KC.    

He has played well this season.   Is he in danger of becoming a DPOY candidate as some had predicted at earlier points in his career?   F*ck no. :lol:

Just as the defense has survived without Tre White.........despite claims it would not by many doom-fantasy gimps on TSW........they will fill the MLB role with someone different next season and he will be much cheaper and play just fine.     This defense is a showcase for a MLB.   His slow ascent to "difference maker" status has been unfortunate.   

12 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

If he was that big of a cog in our defense I think he would have been signed already. For me that says a lot more than other teams fans and coaches.

The Bills and his camp do not see eye to eye on his value. And he may very well end up re-signing with the Bills if they can get closer. I think Beane is going to have to decide if he can keep enough DL in front of him to have this defense cover the run and the pass, and it's going to be a financial decision with Josh's contract and how the cap will move etc.

I really don't think the marquee player in this defense should need coaching chops and deep dives to be identified, that's what role players are for. You don't pay those guys top dollar and maintain the rest of your team.

2 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

If he was that big of a cog in our defense I think he would have been signed already. For me that says a lot more than other teams fans and coaches.

The Bills and his camp do not see eye to eye on his value. And he may very well end up re-signing with the Bills if they can get closer. I think Beane is going to have to decide if he can keep enough DL in front of him to have this defense cover the run and the pass, and it's going to be a financial decision with Josh's contract and how the cap will move etc.

I really don't think the marquee player in this defense should need coaching chops and deep dives to be identified, that's what role players are for. You don't pay those guys top dollar and maintain the rest of your team.

I can say that about alot of players.

If Lamar is a big cog unsigned

Oliver Big Cog Unsigned

Poyer - same 

cant pay everyone all at once can you.

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

I can say that about alot of players.

If Lamar is a big cog unsigned

Oliver Big Cog Unsigned

Poyer - same 

cant pay everyone all at once can you.

If you want to get bad real quick and have your QB looking for greener pastures............use all of your top picks on defense and then extend 8-9 of them with lucrative contracts.    That did the trick for Seattle.

Beane has had his fun extending lot's of defensive players that most teams would let walk in a similar cap situation..........because the Bills are in a window where they can be a clear favorite.

But they will have to start making a lot of business decisions on defense.    Not a concern for this season though.   Let's enjoy this STACKED defense for one season and then next year balance will likely need to start being re-stored.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They are balling Milano and Edmunds. Absolutely balling. A combined 22 tackles yesterday, including two TFL each - Milano having the critical one near the goalline on that final drive that led a play or two later to the Po Pick.

For Edmunds the request was more splash plays. He had 7 TFLs the whole of last year. He has 4 through 4 weeks. He also (through three weeks, number still to be updated for last night) has the lowest completion % allowed and the lowest yards per completion allowed in pass coverage of his career so far. If the Bills not extending him before this season was intended to light a fire then consider the fire lit. Eyeball test, numbers, splash plays.... it is all there. 

I do think Jones in particular is helping up front. He is keeping the linebackers cleaner, although last night I actually thought the Ravens did a good job on him and yet still Edmunds and Milano made plays. They are confident, they are decisive and they are the heartbeat of this Bills defense right now (though Greg Rousseau matching his rookie sack production through four games and Von Miller pitching in with 3 isn't hurting either). And this is probably the tougher stretch of the schedule in terms of offenses they are playing. Patriots x2, Jets x2, Browns and Bears still to come (as well as the Steelers this week obviously). 

Yes on Milano goal line TFL Edmunds fits run VIOLENTLY and forces the bounce outside that Milano cleans up

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.