Dane Jackson injury (update - team announces no major injury to neck or spinal cord 🙏)

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Idiotic shot?

Football is a violent fast game. 
I didn’t see anything that Edmunds did wrong. 

of course he wasn’t trying to snap Jackson’s neck. These occurrences are inevitable if a player is tackling aggressively. 

He jumped on a pile head first. Has he connected with his target it would have been 15 yards. The only benefit to piling on a guy who is already on the ground is an individualistic desire to pump tackle stats. All of it was idiotic. Thank God this one didn't end like it could have 

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

18 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

Do you think the Bills medical staff didn't consider that possibility last night?

If you paid attention, he pounded his fist  on the ground before he rolled himself over. They were being cautious as they should have been. So no, the staff was being cautious, they knew he had movement and feelings in all extremities, they didn’t know if there were any fractures. But it would have been obvious he wasn’t paralyzed and wasn’t going to be.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

In all seriousness, having a sore/inflamed neck would impact a DB a lot more than some positions with them constantly turning back and looking for the ball.  I was at the game and that was scary, maybe even more so because so many people were around and working on him, you knew it was serious.  

19 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Thank God nothing major!! That seriously made it hard to get back into the game for me.  I dunno how players push through that with how close and tight knit they are.  I am just a fan and it was hard.

I know.  On a small level 20 years ago twice in six months and the first was the worst we’re two injuries.  As I’ve shared a couple of time I was a competitive Powerlifter.  I was in the SE Championships and the way it goes is squat, three attempts, bench, then deadlift.  I’m getting ready for my second attempt, and the heavyweights were finishing their first attempts. There was a guy who had a complex fracture of hit tibia and fibula, where it broke the skin, and he looked like he had a second knee.  It was a 865 squat.  A couple of women vomited in the crowd.  They had to call the EMTS and thankfully some of these meets they had them on site or close.   I had to go on 20 minutes later and was sick to my stomach.

The 2nd was a complete bicep tear to the shoulder from the dead which was his fault.

My point is not to be gross as it was 29 years ago, but the impact on the players in an NFL game when incredibly serious is going to affect people’s psyche.

im just so happy he was discharged from ECMC and went home on his own.

Forget about football, I’m just glad this young man is ok.  The neck is no joke.

• Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

If you paid attention, he pounded his fist  on the ground before he rolled himself over. They were being cautious as they should have been. So no, the staff was being cautious, they knew he had movement and feelings in all extremities, they didn’t know if there were any fractures. But it would have been obvious he wasn’t paralyzed and wasn’t going to be.

You can be paralyzed after the fact if you mismanage a fracture. But I agree if you watch it again he is moving upper and lower extremities immediately.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

No.  https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/spinal-cord-injury/symptoms-causes/syc-20377890   "

A serious spinal injury isn't always immediately obvious. If it isn't known, a more severe injury may occur.

Numbness or paralysis can be immediate or come on gradually.

The time between injury and treatment can be critical in determining the extent and severity of complications and the possible extent of expected recovery

Edited by redtail hawk

11 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

You can be paralyzed after the fact if you mismanage a fracture. But I agree if you watch it again he is moving upper and lower extremities immediately.  

Absolutely, a broken bone can cause serious damage if he had one and he was not handled properly. That was why they treated him the way they did till x rays and MRI’s could confirm no structural damage.

16 hours ago, DrDare said:

Is it OK to be angry at Edmunds and the coaches?

he's been flying around recklessly for quite some time dishing out friendly fire while a ball carrier is already being dragged down.

Sure, why not? Haters gotta find something to get onto Edmunds about. Whipping boy for the season. Actually since last year. He's only the QB of the top ranked defense, a few years running. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

No.  https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/spinal-cord-injury/symptoms-causes/syc-20377890   "

A serious spinal injury isn't always immediately obvious. If it isn't known, a more severe injury may occur.

The time between injury and treatment can be critical in determining the extent and severity of complications and the possible extent of expected recovery

That’s why they were so careful to not cause damage if he had a fracture. It’s standard practice. I had the same treatment, strapped to a backboard and an ambulance ride. Turned out to be torn cartilage between ribs and sternum, painful as F… Still feel it many years later.

12 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

That’s why they were so careful to not cause damage if he had a fracture. It’s standard practice. I had the same treatment, strapped to a backboard and an ambulance ride. Turned out to be torn cartilage between ribs and sternum, painful as F… Still feel it many years later.

a fracture is not necessary (but most often is present) to cause permanent, serious damage:  

Abstract

Much more knowledge seems to be available concerning concussion of the brain than of the corresponding lesion of the spinal cord. It is interesting, moreover, that information has accumulated concerning symptomatology of the former condition and pathology of the latter.

The clinical manifestations of concussion of the spinal cord include a multiplicity of clinical pictures, with apparently grave initial symptoms, which disappear or tend to improve rapidly. The symptoms are not, however, always transient in character, and serious, permanent disturbances may result. The condition varies, depending on the particular segment of the cord that is involved as well as on the evolution of the lesions.

Because of its relatively greater fixation and rigidity and its greater exposure to trauma, the thoracic portion of the vertebral column is the most frequent seat of trauma causing concussion of the spinal cord. The trauma need not be direct. It may be transmitted from

1 hour ago, pigpen65 said:

He jumped on a pile head first. Has he connected with his target it would have been 15 yards. The only benefit to piling on a guy who is already on the ground is an individualistic desire to pump tackle stats. All of it was idiotic. Thank God this one didn't end like it could have 

My god this is just terrible.  Dane was tackling a bigger receiver and Edmunds was rallying to the ball.

Burks dropped as he saw Edmunds coming causing Edmunds to go over the top.

If Edmunds doesn’t rally and Burks breaks away people complain that why didn’t he make the play.

Friendly fire happens all the time - Diggs does that same thing where he just drops and the coming defender hits another defensive player that is on top.

Edmunds was never going to get penalized for that play and it is not done to get Stats - it is done as part of team tackling - everyone get there and take these guys to the ground.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 1

35 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

I got a neck injury at work.  I didnt even know it was severe at first.  It felt like a muscle pull. Two weeks later I started getting numbness and tingleness in my left arm.  I was still working at that point. Long story short, I ended up needing a pretty massive surgery.  It didnt happen until 4 months later because initial mis-diagnosis. About two weeks before my surgery I couldnt move my left arm anymore because my discs were severly pressing on my spinal cord.  There was definitely a long slow progression of just getting worse and worse.

• Sad 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.