Joel Osteen

Fleezoid

9 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Of course it would be more appealing

But as the apostle Paul says Just as being married is a blessing… He also clearly distinguishes that staying single for the Lord is a blessing and gift all its own

Literally if you can receive it, do

Devoting your life to the Lord by choice is a special blessing not for all… It’s a calling… Which means you can’t devote your time to a wife and the Lord equally 

All the non-Catholic married clergy are going to be shocked that they can’t do as good of a job as a single Catholic priest.

And a married non-Catholic clergy can become a married Catholic priest if the Pope approves it. 

18 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

After significant public outrage, he graciously took in some of his flock. Out of the kindness of his heart. 

I kinda remember this story from back when it was playing out...when news broke about them closing their doors Olsteen released a statement about how the arena was a bowl and was below grade, so it was unsafe as it was a flood risk, or something to that extent.  I didn't realize that he changed course after that and actually did open up.  If that's the case, what changed?  Did the building suddenly become safe??

1 hour ago, Son of a K-Gun said:

I kinda remember this story from back when it was playing out...when news broke about them closing their doors Olsteen released a statement about how the arena was a bowl and was below grade, so it was unsafe as it was a flood risk, or something to that extent.  I didn't realize that he changed course after that and actually did open up.  If that's the case, what changed?  Did the building suddenly become safe??

Yes, miraculously.

1 hour ago, Son of a K-Gun said:

I think there was some flooding in the basement but nothing that would prevent people from taking shelter in the rest of the building.  He also said the roads to access the building were flooded or unsafe which others challenged with videos and photos.  Maybe he was in the right.  Common sentiment in Houston is that he could have helped but chose not to.

Full disclosure: I will not be giving the benefit of the doubt to anyone who runs a mega-church.  I am not particularly religious or spiritual, but whenever I drive past his 16,000 seat palace I cannot help but think that isn't what christianity is supposed to be.  That applies to all mega-churches.  Motivational speaking mixed with the gospel of prosperity rubs me the wrong way.  

• Agree 4

40 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I think there was some flooding in the basement but nothing that would prevent people from taking shelter in the rest of the building.  He also said the roads to access the building were flooded or unsafe which others challenged with videos and photos.  Maybe he was in the right.  Common sentiment in Houston is that he could have helped but chose not to.

Full disclosure: I will not be giving the benefit of the doubt to anyone who runs a mega-church.  I am not particularly religious or spiritual, but whenever I drive past his 16,000 seat palace I cannot help but think that isn't what christianity is supposed to be.  That applies to all mega-churches.  Motivational speaking mixed with the gospel of prosperity rubs me the wrong way.  

I'm right there with ya, brother.

Can I get an Amen?

3 hours ago, PastaJoe said:

All the non-Catholic married clergy are going to be shocked that they can’t do as good of a job as a single Catholic priest.

And a married non-Catholic clergy can become a married Catholic priest if the Pope approves it. 

With the shortage of priests that currently exists, you’d think they’d be looking for new ways to bolster the roster. The last few guys they brought in were from Poland. Their English was less than good. My wife tried to calm the kids down at Mass one day and make them pay attention. The reply she got was “but I can’t understand a word he’s saying”, and might wife had to concede they had a point. 

Our kids had a married priest at one of their schools. His son was a classmate. Seemed odd, but it worked just fine, and we could understand him.

On 9/19/2022 at 12:25 AM, Fleezoid said:

Back to Osteen. He preaches good messages, which is cool, but he's gotten filthy rich. Is it wrong? I don't know, but I don't like it. It happens all the time. 

Well, I'm not a tech guy so can't help you with the video, never heard of Osteen, so can't speak to his blinking. As to the part of getting rich from preaching, I don't even know if that's wrong. But Luke, Matthew, and John all have references in their books as Jesus saying (depending on what translation is used) "And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God."

5 hours ago, PastaJoe said:

It’s just logistics… Don’t take it personal

One is absolutely going to get more time… You cannot serve the Lord 100% and your family equally

The job of a Catholic priest is to serve the Lord 24 seven 365… If you’re married and have a child and family…

It’s just technically impossible to serve the lord 24 seven 365… Because you have to worry about your family and their life

It doesn’t mean that one priest is better than the other… But a priest who is only a priest absolutely has more time to serve the Lord properly

no matter what JP2 did 

If you have a family they’re going to take a lot of your time and effort … An unmarried Catholic priest serves nobody but the Lord 

and JP was straightforward …

“the Holy See has specified that this exception to the rule of celibacy is granted in favor of these individual persons, and should not be understood as implying any change in the Church's conviction of the value of priestly celibacy, which will remain the rule for future candidates for the priesthood from this group."

There is no change in the churches conviction of the value of priestly celibacy , which will remain the rule for future candidates from this group 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

One is absolutely going to get more time… You cannot serve the Lord 100% and your family equally

The job of a Catholic priest is to serve the Lord 24 seven 365… If you’re married and have a child and family…

It’s just technically impossible to serve the lord 24 seven 365… Because you have to worry about your family and their life

It doesn’t mean that one priest is better than the other… But a priest who is only a priest absolutely has more time to serve the Lord properly

no matter what JP2 did 

If you have a family they’re going to take a lot of your time and effort … An unmarried Catholic priest serves nobody but the Lord 

“the Holy See has specified that this exception to the rule of celibacy is granted in favor of these individual persons, and should not be understood as implying any change in the Church's conviction of the value of priestly celibacy, which will remain the rule for future candidates for the priesthood from this group."

There is no change in the churches conviction of the value of priestly celibacy , which will remain the rule for future candidates from this group 

Imagine a married priest who, with wife in the rectory, is confronted with an issue that pits her opinion against the views of the parish.  Sure it's a hypothetical, although very real possibility.  A man cannot serve two masters and believing men who could marry as priests would result in unforeseen and unintended consequences.  

The dearth of under retirement age priests in the Catholic Church cannot be solved by changing the rules about celibacy.  

• Agree 1

Mr Osteen's conduct is very un-Christian. I'm guessing he's never read Matthew 21:12-13

"And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the money changers, and the seats of them that sold doves, And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves."

5 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Wanna be pissed?  A local priest compares having to live in Buffalo is worse than committing suicide. 

Sermons are easy. Comedy is hard. I don't think I could listen to that guy for 5 minutes.

11 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

no matter what JP2 did 

Perhaps if they allowed priests to marry they wouldn’t have to retain and move around priests that spent part of that 24 / 365 diddling kids. It would also save them millions in payouts.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.