Joel Osteen

Fleezoid

18 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

A sweeping statement, is correct, regarding these bottom feeders.

They pocket the dough, and keep the suckers coming. If there are natural disasters, or situations where their 'Teleflock', might need some sort of assistance, they are nowhere to be found..

I dunno Bart, seems like Pat Robertson tries to assist his Teleflock in times of natural disaster...😉

• Haha (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Osteen locked the doors to his "church" during Harvey when many people were in need.  The gospel of prosperity is a con.

*His church is where the Houston Rockets used to play before the Toyota Center was built.  Its an arena.

Good ol' Joel's Vineyard.

25 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

What's a "cradle Catholic?"

I assume it means indoctrinated since birth. By that definition, I'm also a cradle Catholic. But I left the church a long time ago and have no plans to return, so I'm not a cradle-to-grave Catholic.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

On 9/20/2022 at 1:49 AM, Nextmanup said:

Show your theologian friend this video.  It pretty much says it all on this topic...

What did Jesus say about wealth? 

"How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of heaven! Indeed, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven."

And yet look at Joel Osteen and his ilk.

That should tell you all you need to know.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

I assume it means indoctrinated since birth. By that definition, I'm also a cradle Catholic. But I left the church a long time ago and have no plans to return, so I'm not a cradle-to-grave Catholic.

I think I fit that description. Born and raised Catholic, briefly an altar boy, Christian Bothers for high school, Jesuits for college. Raised the kids going to church every Sunday. The wife still goes to church, but not every Sunday. I went to 10:30 am for a while when we moved to Atlanta, but when she changed to 7:15am I was OUT! It was mostly just a chance to be with my wife for a morning. 

Many of our friends in Florida were made by way of Catholic schools for the boys or church. I was never into the “church part”, but we had great priests who became close friends. We even rented a house from one for a year! I put up with Mass because they made a point of building a community. We would meet monthly on a Friday night at the beach for a cookout and sunset. Dinners on a regular basis. We went on cruises and to Europe with these people. We were friends, and a couple of great priests made this possible. We were always there for each other when things got tough, and they sure did get tough. THAT is more important than anything that happens on Sunday morning. 

I can’t get past the coverup of all the abuse. It was widespread and systematic. I can’t blame our friends for this, and in fact I feel bad for the good people. They are tarnished by this by association, and that’s not fair either. 

The major religions mostly tout all the same stuff, then put their own twist on it. They are all right, and they are all wrong, IMO. 

As for televangelists, I think they should be forced to study St Francis of Assisi. Doing good is helping others. THAT is how I believe we will be judged when that time comes. Gaining followers should be about building community and helping those in need. Not buying that $17.5 million dollar house I toured that was purchased by a televangelist pleading for money from little old ladies who are just trying to make/buy their way into heaven. 

Sorry, that was long, but it’s a complicated and sensitive topic. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Most late-night televangelists have two things in common:

1. They are avid customers of "just for men" or related hair-dyeing products.

2. They like to be addressed as "Dr."; in most cases their doctorate is in divinity, which is more of an honorary title.

Most of them promise you rewards in health matters or in material form if you donate money to their church. Even if you believe the premise that God will look favorably on those supporting his cause financially, a question these televangelists should be asked is if the believer would gain the same benefits by donating the money to their local church or charity.  

Edited by DrW
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I guess I am the same.  I suppose most are.  The long mass during lent when they recognize the catechumens always drove me wild! Darn converts extending a perfect fine mass! 😆 

I had the trifecta: Catholic grammar school (St. Stan's), choir boy and altar boy.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Augie said:

I think I fit that description. Born and raised Catholic, briefly an altar boy, Christian Bothers for high school, Jesuits for college. Raised the kids going to church every Sunday. The wife still goes to church, but not every Sunday. I went to 10:30 am for a while when we moved to Atlanta, but when she changed to 7:15am I was OUT! It was mostly just a chance to be with my wife for a morning. 

Many of our friends in Florida were made by way of Catholic schools for the boys or church. I was never into the “church part”, but we had great priests who became close friends. We even rented a house from one for a year! I put up with Mass because they made a point of building a community. We would meet monthly on a Friday night at the beach for a cookout and sunset. Dinners on a regular basis. We went on cruises and to Europe with these people. We were friends, and a couple of great priests made this possible. We were always there for each other when things got tough, and they sure did get tough. THAT is more important than anything that happens on Sunday morning. 

I can’t get past the coverup of all the abuse. It was widespread and systematic. I can’t blame our friends for this, and in fact I feel bad for the good people. They are tarnished by this by association, and that’s not fair either. 

The major religions mostly tout all the same stuff, then put their own twist on it. They are all right, and they are all wrong, IMO. 

As for televangelists, I think they should be forced to study St Francis of Assisi. Doing good is helping others. THAT is how I believe we will be judged when that time comes. Gaining followers should be about building community and helping those in need. Not buying that $17.5 million dollar house I toured that was purchased by a televangelist pleading for money from little old ladies who are just trying to make/buy their way into heaven. 

Sorry, that was long, but it’s a complicated and sensitive topic. 

The Catholic faith isnt the only one that hides child abuse

There is rampant child abuse in the Muslim culture and in Judaism that is systematically hidden

Edited by Buffalo716

Born Catholic was my meaning of the term.  Parochial school and altar boy for me.  Still active in the church.  Certainly don't agree with some doctrine/tradition but I'm not going to throw out the baby with the bathwater.  I make my opinion known (shocker, I know)  I think there should be female priests and marriage allowed among clergy.  I don't like the meddling in politics (esp the US church).  The abuse issue is horrifying but I think would be greatly lessened by the clergy ideas above.  I like the idea of the church asa "field hospital" for those in spiritual or material need. I have never personally seen anything remotely constituting abuse.  It's a huge church and I love the universal aspect.  Am a Godfather to a Portugeuse nephew and so happy to be able to pray in English just by following the cadence of the mass there and in other countries.  I actually like the idea of rank and order in the church but again would like to see some things changed.   It's better imo than "Church of Joe" like Olsteen's where leaders often have private agendas and no one to answer to on earth.  Finally, I respect and admire the priests I know/have known and am fortunate to call a few friends.  I fondly remember the nuns from school and try, often unsuccessfully, to imitate their humility and kindness.

Edited by redtail hawk

On 9/20/2022 at 5:24 PM, The Dean said:

I'm fine with most anyone's PERSONAL religious beliefs.  However when they start to talk about it (evangelize), it turns me off completely.

OTOH, I have little issue with people spreading the basic tenets of most every major religion:

Peace. Love. Acceptance. Charity.  Stuff like that. It's in the details of organized religion where things go off the rails, IMO.  

And shouldn't this thread be moved? Or closed?

Moved or closed why?  

On 9/21/2022 at 12:33 PM, Jauronimo said:

Osteen locked the doors to his "church" during Harvey when many people were in need.  The gospel of prosperity is a con.

*His church is where the Houston Rockets used to play before the Toyota Center was built.  Its an arena.

I'm not sure this is true.  At least after doing some googling it looks like he didn't lock his church. 

2 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

I think there should be female priests and marriage allowed among clergy. 

During our pre-marriage counseling session with our church's deacon, he asked what we think would help improve the church (or something like that).  What you said was pretty much my answer, that I felt if priests could be married, you'd see more men interested in becoming a priest.  I know I would consider it.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

During our pre-marriage counseling session with our church's deacon, he asked what we think would help improve the church (or something like that).  What you said was pretty much my answer, that I felt if priests could be married, you'd see more men interested in becoming a priest.  I know I would consider it.  

Deacon Jack kinda sounds like Deacon Jones...considered it myself but obedience is not my strong suit.

4 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Of course it would be more appealing

But as the apostle Paul says Just as being married is a blessing… He also clearly distinguishes that staying single for the Lord is a blessing and gift all its own

Literally if you can receive it, do

Devoting your life to the Lord by choice is a special blessing not for all… It’s a calling… Which means you can’t devote your time to a wife and the Lord equally 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.