Joel Osteen

Fleezoid

He's helped a lot of people and made a lot of money along the way.  There's nothing wrong with that.  He's talented as both a preacher and a writer.  Anybody who thinks he shouldn't prosper financially is just jealous and whiny.  He's not getting a penny from me though.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

He's helped a lot of people and made a lot of money along the way.  There's nothing wrong with that.  He's talented as both a preacher and a writer.  Anybody who thinks he shouldn't prosper financially is just jealous and whiny.  He's not getting a penny from me though.

Not jealous. Just outraged. Con artists r a dime a dozen.  Because he’s good at it doesn’t make it better 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I used to enjoy his program a lot -  have several motivational books and they helped me through a growing time in my life. During a business trip in OH - he came to preach and during his preaching event they were promoting to sponsor a needy child in Africa. 5 years later my wife and I still support her and the money helps her and her family. 

Sure he is getting rich along the way - but he is spreading Christianity and l give him credit for that. 

Have you read any of his books? Can probably get one from the library if you don't want to spend. If really interested I can mail you one of mine.  I can't make a video to his blinking lol can imagine the gunfire though ha ha but can tell you his words can be motivational.  Go Bills!

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'm born again, but stopped going to church. My problem with the church is 98% of the people who go.  

These days, I credit the universe for all good things that come my way. I know, God created the universe, but if you imagine how big the universe is, whatever you may have is just a teeny tiny portion of what the universe can provide. There's plenty for everyone. 

I am friends with the daughter of a televangelist. Mom (The televangelist) is always super careful when out in public, not to give a false testimony. Both the mom and daughter are good people. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

It is perhaps inevitable that OP should engender responses outside the narrow technical issue . . . and really, one could ask for the technical help in a generic fashion that did not even indicate the particular application. Nonetheless, as theology is one of my specializations, I remark that Joel Osteen does not claim to be a theologian, which is sound, because he ain't that. And while I understand those who are turned off by religious evangelization, thinking it intrusive propaganda, to ask folks to utterly separate what gives meaning and coherence to their understanding from public pronouncements is both unrealistic and injust. The privatization of religion to that extreme is part of an ideology that is hostile, not neutral towards religious understanding. Such "default atheism" under the rubric of secularism often claims legal or "scientific" justification. That is specious, but if you really think folks should shut up about religion, be fair and shut up about your ideology, your political views, or anything else that happens to be your preferred center of meaning making.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

Muppy, Ifully respect that but do u think we are rewarded here on earth for good works?  Financially?  Seems the opposite of what I interpret the Bible says,

And…just to put it in perspective, I’m a cradle Catholic and I don’t believe everything that comes out of the magisterium.  I do believe that we’d be better off following the golden rule: do unto others as…allegories are awesome. Love me some cs lewis

greetings. well i will use a scripture to answer. It says our works are like dirty rags. Meaning nothing we can do, Nada, will behave ourselves into heaven The blessings are financial for some people and YES the scriptures say there is a storehouse of unclaimed blessings He would bestow upon his children.  Rewarded by good works though the authority on this says no. In my journey on earth I am rewarded by being blessed in many ways though if that makes sense. I am Verfy grateful to have a home, friends and  family near and far. kids are healthy, etc etc  and CS Lewis is great 🙂 

EDIT: what will ensure entry into heaven is acknowledging that Jesus was Gods son who died on a cross to absolve all humanity of our sin. His going to the cross for us, and then 3 days later to rise again. THAT fact is what confirms deity in the eyes of Christians. .. And we accepting  as true what HE did for us. Accepting of that gift Jesus died for, your eternal salvation. And ask him into your heart. Entry to heaven  100% confirmed. That in a nutshell is the gospel.

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, muppy said:

greegings. well i will use a scripture to answer. It says our works are like dirty rags. Meaning nothing we can do, Nada, will behave ourselves into heaven The blessings are financial for some people and YES the scriptures say there is a storehouse of unclaimed blessings He would bestow upon his children.  Rewarded by good works though the authority on this says no. In my journey on earth I am rewarded by being blessed in many ways though if that makes sense. I am Verfy grateful to have a home, friends and  family near and far. kids are healthy, etc etc  and CS Lewis is great 🙂 

My wife (also a believer) and I were discussing this the other day.  Neil Peart, the late drummer of Rush, used to carry a roll of $20 bills with him, just so he could give street people asking for change some money. Whenever he handed them a $20 bill, they usually said "God Bless You". His only reply was "God has nothing to do with this. This is between you and me".  My wife said by Neil saying this, he denied God's existence of supplying him with wealth for giving to others. Just curious to see what you think Muppy. 

my first post in this thread did come off as judging towards Mr Osteen because he wears flashy clothes and drives flashy cars and lives in a huge mansion of a home. I am the first to admit I am also a very flawed servant of Jesus Christ.   My church does a lot of mission work with the homeless and it colors my vision about "wealth". But what he does with the money he earns is his business of course. I just wouldnt contribute to that ministry. Boots on the ground here in san diego with my church get my money

Draconator I have been a member of 3 different churches (United Methodist (liberal) , Lutheran Word Alone (much more conservative a view than other factions) and now southern Baptist. The church I belong to now is Family to me...if you can find THAT you will have struck gold.  God Bless you brother    

5 minutes ago, Draconator said:

My wife (also a believer) and I were discussing this the other day.  Neil Peart, the late drummer of Rush, used to carry a roll of $20 bills with him, just so he could give street people asking for change some money. Whenever he handed them a $20 bill, they usually said "God Bless You". His only reply was "God has nothing to do with this. This is between you and me".  My wife said by Neil saying this, he denied God's existence of supplying him with wealth for giving to others. Just curious to see what you think Muppy. 

WHOA. That reads to me like he was advocating Himself as the giver of good things, not a higher power. Thats a word given the recipient wouldn't forget. I think he had his reasons for saying that.  He sounds athiest *shrugs* 

Edited by muppy

23 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

It is perhaps inevitable that OP should engender responses outside the narrow technical issue . . . and really, one could ask for the technical help in a generic fashion that did not even indicate the particular application. Nonetheless, as theology is one of my specializations, I remark that Joel Osteen does not claim to be a theologian, which is sound, because he ain't that. And while I understand those who are turned off by religious evangelization, thinking it intrusive propaganda, to ask folks to utterly separate what gives meaning and coherence to their understanding from public pronouncements is both unrealistic and injust. The privatization of religion to that extreme is part of an ideology that is hostile, not neutral towards religious understanding. Such "default atheism" under the rubric of secularism often claims legal or "scientific" justification. That is specious, but if you really think folks should shut up about religion, be fair and shut up about your ideology, your political views, or anything else that happens to be your preferred center of meaning making.

lol your mental bandwidth is off the charts amigo. What a thoughtful deep post in the best way. Thank you.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, muppy said:

Draconator I have been a member of 3 different churches (United Methodist (liberal) , Lutheran Word Alone (much more conservative a view than other factions) and now southern Baptist. The church I belong to now is Family to me...if you can find THAT you will have struck gold.  God Bless you brother   

I was a 10 year member of 2 Assembly of God churches. The hypocrisy I saw in those churches would make your blood boil. I grew up in United Methodist churches. I found that those who didn't go to church or those who were not believers were more real than those who spoke in tongues and professed to be super Christians. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Draconator said:

I was a 10 year member of 2 Assembly of God churches. The hypocrisy I saw in those churches would make your blood boil. I grew up in United Methodist churches. I found that those who didn't go to church or those who were not believers were more real than those who spoke in tongues and professed to be super Christians. 

I have zero knowledge about your former church. As far as speaking in tongues is concerned I've only heard a person do that once. I wasn't buying it I just wasn't. more than anything that is a spiritual gift I clearly don't have. the Bible speaks of it though. 

speaking in tongues is only as good as the interpretor imo.

Edited by muppy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Joel Osteen and people like him are among the most UN-Christian people polluting the planet.

I was born, raised and confirmed Catholic.  I never attended after being confirmed.  Finally gave it up after the priest who confirmed me was convicted of raping young/teen boys ... more than one of whom were/are my friends.

• Angry 1

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Joel Osteen and people like him are among the most UN-Christian people polluting the planet.

I was born, raised and confirmed Catholic.  I never attended after being confirmed.  Finally gave it up after the priest who confirmed me was convicted of raping young/teen boys ... more than one of whom were/are my friends.

just so there is no doubt my strong reaction was for the pedophile priest rat ******* .

3 minutes ago, muppy said:

just so there is no doubt my strong reaction was for the pedophile priest rat ******* .

That's exactly what I thought, so no worries.  He made the mistake of crossing state lines from NY to MA to take kids camping and molest them.  NY has a statue of limitations; MA does not.  He will die in prison.

https://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Ex-priest-off-to-prison-with-a-grin-1016033.php

There are many other articles out there that go into the details of the abuse.  Absolutely sickening.

Edited by Gugny
  • Angry 1

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

That's exactly what I thought, so no worries.  He made the mistake of crossing state lines from NY to PA to take kids camping and molest them.  NY has a statue of limitations; PA does not.  He will die in prison.

https://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Ex-priest-off-to-prison-with-a-grin-1016033.php

There are many other articles out there that go into the details of the abuse.  Absolutely sickening.

***** disgrace man of the cloth my *** sick ****** heartbreaking hermano. and all to common a tale. ****

Edited by muppy

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

Osteen locked the doors to his "church" during Harvey when many people were in need.  The gospel of prosperity is a con.

*His church is where the Houston Rockets used to play before the Toyota Center was built.  Its an arena.

whoa I did not know this. Bad witness to anyone in need what's up with that. blech SMH no bueno

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.