AFC East Will Be Not A Given

Ross Murdock

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

We have to avoid the Baltimore-esque breakdowns in coverage. 

Waddle and Hill were so wide open that even Tua was able to get the ball to them.

Considering no other NFL game I have ever watched in my entire life had as many breakdowns in one half as that game, I don't think it will be too hard.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Tyreek Hill has destroyed the Bills secondary even when they are 100% healthy with White in the lineup. In fact he's done this to many good DB's and teams through the years just like Diggs showing against elite DB's like Ramsey and JC Jackson.

We will be playing a rookie against the Dolphins next week in Benford and/or Elam. So what exactly is going to be different compared to what the Ravens fielded yesterday?

If the Bills pash rush gets to Tua that's a different story but he has a lighting quick smooth release which is the problem.

Dude… get out of here with Tua’s ‘lightning quick smooth release.”

PLEASE go back to the Dolphins board. Pretty pathetic that you spend your time here. 

17 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Tyreek Hill has destroyed the Bills secondary even when they are 100% healthy with White in the lineup. In fact he's done this to many good DB's and teams through the years just like Diggs showing against elite DB's like Ramsey and JC Jackson.

We will be playing a rookie against the Dolphins next week in Benford and/or Elam. So what exactly is going to be different compared to what the Ravens fielded yesterday?

If the Bills pash rush gets to Tua that's a different story but he has a lighting quick smooth release which is the problem.

Good post. The Miami game is a very dangerous one. Tua and the dolphins have a belief and confidence. They foundnd a way to win. This is always dangerous for a young up and coming team. Add on what many think is the best one two wide receiver combo in the league and a young inexperienced Bills secondary. I still think the bills are clearly the better team. If they play well they should win the game. However, this dolphin team appears formidable. 

1 hour ago, Sharky7337 said:

Weren't their two best corners out or something?

No. Peters played the entire game (returning this week from injury). Humphrey played almost the entire game (playing through an injury), but they ended up pulling him after Miami made it 28-35, so the last two TDs were without Humphrey out there. Still put up 28 points against one of the best corner duos in the league (albeit they were not 100%) and one of the best safety groups in the league.

I think moreso than a talent issue, Baltimore just didn't have the right defensive approach and then on top of that had a breakdown or two on the backend that made things even worse.

I would be very surprised if Buffalo's defense makes the same mistakes Baltimore did yesterday, but on paper, their secondary is probably better than ours while White is out.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

We have to avoid the Baltimore-esque breakdowns in coverage. 

Waddle and Hill were so wide open that even Tua was able to get the ball to them.

Did you see the game winning play and throw by Tua? It was a thing of beauty and the strength of Tua. He moved up into the pocket avoided the pass rush and threw a perfect pass to a well covered Waddle. Perhaps it was a young QB growing up before our eyes. Who knows? What I do know is that play was quite impressive. 

14 minutes ago, Marvin said:

There were never any "sure wins" to begin with; that's why they play the games.

"The Bills will do good just to split"?  You are saying that it is clearly more likely that Miami sweeps Buffalo than the reverse based on not even 2 weeks' worth of games.  Aren't you jumping the gun just a tad?  Are you saying that Tua is what Allen should be or that the Bills' defence against the Rams was a mirage?  Explain yourself in detail with logic, statistics, and game analysis please, because I don't see it.

2018 - 2-4 (charles clay makes a catch and its 3-3)

2019 - 3-3 (Jets was a meaningless finale)

2020 - 6-0

2021 - 5-1

7-1 against miami with Josh, the defense doesn't appear to have been upgraded much and buffalo outscored them 61-11 last season. 

29 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Good post. The Miami game is a very dangerous one. Tua and the dolphins have a belief and confidence. They foundnd a way to win. This is always dangerous for a young up and coming team. Add on what many think is the best one two wide receiver combo in the league and a young inexperienced Bills secondary. I still think the bills are clearly the better team. If they play well they should win the game. However, this dolphin team appears formidable. 

Poyer and Hyde are inexperienced?

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Ross Murdock said:

The Dolphins (And Tua) look good, the Bills will do good just to split. The Pats will plod along, and not be an easy win. The Jets are better, and if Wilson matures, will not be sure win. The Bills sweeping the east is over!  

Honestly, you were off to a promising start pointing out it won't be a cake walk, but also went too far when you said the ability to sweep is over, which is an over exaggeration to say the least.  However, I think all the negative emoticons to the one solo like emoticon is too lopsided for this post, because there is some merit to it that a lot of people don't want to acknowledge.

1. Yes, the Buffalo Bills are the most talented roster in the AFC East (any probably the NFL).  
  2. There has only been 1 undefeated team in NFL history through to the SB, and that was in a 12 game season.  Meaning, the best teams in the NFL lose games every season.  
  3. Miami has played 8 quarters of football, and they looked meh for 6 of those quarters and dangerous for 2 of them.  But, it was the 2 most recent quarters where they looked very dangerous. 
    1. And why is that important, well, there are a lot of new pieces there including coaching.  So we don't know if it was more about a Ravens D making mistakes, or did Miami start clicking in that second half and there is more play like to come vs the previous 6 quarters of MEH.  Unfortunately we won't get to find out before we play them since the next time they step on the field is against the Bills.
  4. Divisional rivalry games are always in general tougher games.  
  5. We managed to lose to the Jags last year, not because they were better, but we just didn't have it clicking that day.  Any given Sunday is a motto in the NFL for a reason.

So, end of the day, we are fully capable of sweeping the division, but at the same time it's not a given.  We will be the favorites in those divisional games, but they won't all be a cake walk by default.  

Honestly, next week is the toughest divisional game of the season.  It is in Miami where they have all that speed and we still do not have Tre on the field leaving us with 2 rookies spending time covering either Hill or Waddle alongside Dane.  But if we win that game, then I think it is probable we will sweep the division.  I really don't see us losing to the Pats or the Jets even though the Jets are a scrappy team, kind of like we were at in Josh's second season.   

I still think we go 6-0 in the division, this is a focused and hungry team pissed off and I bet feeling like 13 seconds cost them a SB last year, especially seeing how bad the Rams got beat by us and how bad the Bengals have looked to start the season.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

Pretty cool play design here. TLDW: Miami comes out with 2 RBs, 1 TE, and Waddle/Hill on the field. Baltimore comes out in their base defense to match (meaning only 2 CBs on the field). The two corners line up out wide as usual since they're in zone, and as a result, Miami has Waddle and Hill inside going up against Baltimore's linebackers, who obviously have no chance of keeping up with them. Bonus points because Miami had their FB lined up out wide, he was in perfect position to provide down field blocking for Waddle after the catch.

24 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

No. Peters played the entire game (returning this week from injury). Humphrey played almost the entire game (playing through an injury), but they ended up pulling him after Miami made it 28-35, so the last two TDs were without Humphrey out there. Still put up 28 points against one of the best corner duos in the league (albeit they were not 100%) and one of the best safety groups in the league.

I think moreso than a talent issue, Baltimore just didn't have the right defensive approach and then on top of that had a breakdown or two on the backend that made things even worse.

I would be very surprised if Buffalo's defense makes the same mistakes Baltimore did yesterday, but on paper, their secondary is probably better than ours while White is out.

Neither played the entire game - no excuses for 450+ and 6 TDs though.  Baltimore's inability to run the ball in this game is what cost them. 

Baltimore was like 1 or 2 first downs away from the dolphins having no time to score at the end. 16 RB carries for 36 yards, and 5 rushes for -1 yards in the 4th quarter. Under 4 and they had 1st down in miami territory and they gained 1 yard on 3 plays and needed to cut time out of there.  Settling for 3 and the lead is fine - but you needed to take more time off that clock.  

5 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Neither played the entire game - no excuses for 450+ and 6 TDs though.  Baltimore's inability to run the ball in this game is what cost them. 

Baltimore was like 1 or 2 first downs away from the dolphins having no time to score at the end. 16 RB carries for 36 yards, and 5 rushes for -1 yards in the 4th quarter. Under 4 and they had 1st down in miami territory and they gained 1 yard on 3 plays and needed to cut time out of there.  Settling for 3 and the lead is fine - but you needed to take more time off that clock.  

Humphrey had played roughly 100% of the snaps up until it was 28-35. Peters played 62% of the snaps overall but was on the field during the entire comeback with the exception of maybe one drive.

But yeah, obviously in a game that close and with that kind of blown lead, there were a lot of opportunities where if one play went a different way, Baltimore wins. Maybe the most obvious being their 18 play, 12 minute drive that resulted in 0 points as they got stuffed at the goal line. Turning it over on the 4th and 1 when they were trying to eat up clock obviously hurts in retrospect too.

I definitely think Baltimore's lack of running game (out of the RBs anyways) is the thing that's standing out to me through two weeks. Maybe that changes when Dobbins comes back, but if not, that might be their achilles heel this year.

Edited by DCOrange

19 hours ago, Ross Murdock said:

Sounds like some whistling by the graveyard on your part. You have no idea if the Dolphins will fade. In fact they are a much younger team than the Bills. Bills could easily be 1-2 after week three. 

You must be fun at self-loathing parties.

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Pretty cool play design here. TLDW: Miami comes out with 2 RBs, 1 TE, and Waddle/Hill on the field. Baltimore comes out in their base defense to match (meaning only 2 CBs on the field). The two corners line up out wide as usual since they're in zone, and as a result, Miami has Waddle and Hill inside going up against Baltimore's linebackers, who obviously have no chance of keeping up with them. Bonus points because Miami had their FB lined up out wide, he was in perfect position to provide down field blocking for Waddle after the catch.

Yeah - There are checks you can make to this formation though.  Be it a man-match switch, or a cover 4 palms type of look where the deep safeties and corners pick up whoever ends up in their zone, etc.  You can have LBs cover waddle/hill - as long as its for a brief period of time, as you pass them into other zones or follow them on short routes.  

At the end of the day - pressure plays a big part, as does tackling.  Baltimore stunk at both and it cost them.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Both Pats and Jets are both mediocre at best, we’ll below average most likely. It will take a drastically bad game for the bills to lose to them in either game.

The Dolphins on the other hand have the fastest WR group in NFL history, a QB who’s good enough to make use of them, and what so far looks like a very good coach in Mike McDaniel. 

I think the Bills Dline will make life hell for Tua, but that’s a team that can put up points. Now whether they have the defense to slow down the Bills is an entirely different question. They have a decent Dline, a really talented secondary, not a ton of depth, and a very controllable pass rush,

The Bills offense is far better than the Ravens. 

Dolphins might win 1 or both. But it’ll take a college like game with the winner needing 40+ points 

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Did you see the game winning play and throw by Tua? It was a thing of beauty and the strength of Tua. He moved up into the pocket avoided the pass rush and threw a perfect pass to a well covered Waddle. Perhaps it was a young QB growing up before our eyes. Who knows? What I do know is that play was quite impressive. 

Yes, and his throw to Geisicki for the TD threaded the needle as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

After watching the Dolphin game highlights, I'm not quite as concerned about Tua.

Obviously, he had a great game. But I heard that the Ravens were missing their top 3 CB's by the time the 4th quarter started, which accounts for why Hill & Waddle were as open as receivers can get on many of the plays. They were so open that I'd guess just about every starting QB in the league would have hit most of those throws.

And they generally had to slow down on the long ones, because Tua underthrew them.

Clearly, those receivers will be a problem - but I don't think yesterday was some big turning point for Tua, despite the stats.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Success said:

After watching the Dolphin game highlights, I'm not quite as concerned about Tua.

Obviously, he had a great game. But I heard that the Ravens were missing their top 3 CB's by the time the 4th quarter started, which accounts for why Hill & Waddle were as open as receivers can get on many of the plays. They were so open that I'd guess just about every starting QB in the league would have hit most of those throws.

And they generally had to slow down on the long ones, because Tua underthrew them.

Clearly, those receivers will be a problem - but I don't think yesterday was some big turning point for Tua, despite the stats.

Their top 2 corners were out there for most of the 4th, but were both playing through injuries and Humphrey eventually got pulled when it was a 7 point game. 

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

He's the top QB in the NFL right now in every major statistical category. So unless JA17 puts up 400+ yards and 5+ TD's tonight Tua likely will remain in that spot at least until the week 3 games kickoff.

It's amazing what adding talent to a developing young QB with potential will do for you, and Bills fans should understand this given Allen's career trajectory and breakout 3rd NFL season as well.

Also lost in the conversation Mike McDaniel. This goofy bastard very well might be a football savant and on his way to coach of the year and much more this season.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.