McDermott says he wants the team to show "more discipline", what does he mean?

Beck Water

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

That was my thought.  I think McD is very much down on the "personal foul" "taunting" kind of penalties - while recognizing that top football players will snap back, they have to be controlled about it.

So they incurred 2 fines.  What were you thinking for the 3rd?

Von was close to getting one.

1 minute ago, Pokebball said:

I can't recall who, but one of the talking heads this past week noted that there were only 2 designed runs of Josh, with the others being scrambles. Man, it sure seems to me that there were more than 2 designed runs.

Wish you could find that, as I'd love to see it.

14 hours ago, Beck Water said:

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/sean-mcdermott-improving-our-level-of-play

Muki Hawkins asks McDermott, "what are some of the things that you're looking to see out of your team this week, that you didn't see Week 1?"

McDermott says "Well I think we need to exhibit more discipline than we did a week ago, I think that's important"

Then he goes all generic: "and just continue to improve on our level of play in all areas" (that Kaizen Jordan Poyer talked about - McD even sketched a graph with his hand)

I had the impression that Muki caught McDermott giving a rare candid answer instead of boilerplate (of course the boilerplate followed)

What do you thnk McDermott meant by that?  What specifically does he want to see the team be more disciplined about?  Penalties?  Taunting?  Josh getting down instead of putting his shoulder down?  Gap integrity against the run?

The Bills had 5 penalties in the game:  DH on Phillips (5); DH on Taron Johnson (5) - this was on 3rd and 10 and gave them a 1st down; False Start on Saffold (3rd & 2 became 3rd & 7, converted); False Start on Spencer Brown (1st and 10 became 1st and 15); Taunting on Dane Jackson after his INT (moved starting at LA 22 to LA 37)    Then of course the league fined Diggs for taunting Ramsey, implying they believe it should have been a penalty.

Over to you, Bills Fans  🎤

all the above ^

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

That's what I'm thinking, that with it showing up in the media (Josh teabagging) and fines that weren't penalized, the coaches are saying "dial it back guys"

On the other hand, there's that "mic'd up" scene vs Chargers where McD tells the ref he'll talk to Josh, goes over and tells him "one more and you're out of the game, that's all I came to say" "Yessir" and then as he walks away "love the swagger though".  Seems like at best, a mixed message. 

I guess that message has to be "be smart with your swagger, keep it short of a penalty"

Act like you’ve been there before. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Pokebball said:

I can't recall who, but one of the talking heads this past week noted that there were only 2 designed runs of Josh, with the others being scrambles. Man, it sure seems to me that there were more than 2 designed runs.

Today I read the same in the paper. The rest were audibles or JA deciding to run during a play

Edited by MarkyMannn

On 9/18/2022 at 12:43 AM, Beck Water said:

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/sean-mcdermott-improving-our-level-of-play

Muki Hawkins asks McDermott, "what are some of the things that you're looking to see out of your team this week, that you didn't see Week 1?"

McDermott says "Well I think we need to exhibit more discipline than we did a week ago, I think that's important"

Then he goes all generic: "and just continue to improve on our level of play in all areas" (that Kaizen Jordan Poyer talked about - McD even sketched a graph with his hand)

I had the impression that Muki caught McDermott giving a rare candid answer instead of boilerplate (of course the boilerplate followed)

What do you thnk McDermott meant by that?  What specifically does he want to see the team be more disciplined about?  Penalties?  Taunting?  Josh getting down instead of putting his shoulder down?  Gap integrity against the run?

The Bills had 5 penalties in the game:  DH on Phillips (5); DH on Taron Johnson (5) - this was on 3rd and 10 and gave them a 1st down; False Start on Saffold (3rd & 2 became 3rd & 7, converted); False Start on Spencer Brown (1st and 10 became 1st and 15); Taunting on Dane Jackson after his INT (moved starting at LA 22 to LA 37)    Then of course the league fined Diggs for taunting Ramsey, implying they believe it should have been a penalty.

Over to you, Bills Fans  🎤

I think captain obvious needs to walk into the room and suggest less turnovers, less penalties and oh yea... finish plays/routs strong.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.