McDermott says he wants the team to show "more discipline", what does he mean?

Beck Water

My thoughts 

All of the above

Fumbling (it has got to stop tuff to win in this league if you have 4 turnovers in a game)

Trash talk (or bulling basucally grow up we are better than them and act your age.)

Penalties (although it was a low number it still gives the other team a first down and puts our team in a hole.)

And yes tackling. (MOSTLY BECAUSE THE D HAD LITTLE PRESEASON WORK.)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

McDermott knows he has the best team in the NFL.  He also knows if the Bills lose in the playoffs it will be 1 or a combination of the following:

1) Injuries (hard to control)

2) Turnovers (lack of discipline)

3) Poor Tackling (lack of discipline)

4) Stupid Penalties (lack of discipline)

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Comebackkid said:

Seriously?

Yes.  I thought the play was fairly disciplined as a team.

There were errors, of course, but they don't seem like errors of discipline except for the taunting penalty.  The fumbles and one of the INTs are individuals "failing to take care of the football", would you call that a "lack of discipline"?  I would call it lack of execution or poor execution.

2 minutes ago, TailgateChef said:

Bass' out of bounds kickoff also showed a lack of discipline, I would say.  I know it irked many of us watching from home.

How is that lack of discipline?  Lack of execution, yes, but what makes it lack of discipline to you?

Edited by Beck Water

4 minutes ago, Bills2022 said:

McDermott knows he has the best team in the NFL.  He also knows if the Bills lose in the playoffs it will be 1 or a combination of the following:

1) Injuries (hard to control)

2) Turnovers (lack of discipline)

3) Poor Tackling (lack of discipline)

4) Stupid Penalties (lack of discipline)

Perhaps I don't understand what "lack of discipline" means to McDermott (or to you).

The only one of those I see as lack of discipline is 4) and perhaps 1)

Fumbles/double clutched catch and tackling and a kickoff OOB are IMO failures of execution.

I say 1) injuries could be a lack of discipline because if Josh continues to run and fails to protect himself by getting down, or fails to just throw it away in the face of a Jailbreak, he risks more injury IMO.

8 hours ago, AlfaBill said:

Maybe the trash talking and taunting?

That's what I'm thinking, that with it showing up in the media (Josh teabagging) and fines that weren't penalized, the coaches are saying "dial it back guys"

On the other hand, there's that "mic'd up" scene vs Chargers where McD tells the ref he'll talk to Josh, goes over and tells him "one more and you're out of the game, that's all I came to say" "Yessir" and then as he walks away "love the swagger though".  Seems like at best, a mixed message. 

I guess that message has to be "be smart with your swagger, keep it short of a penalty"

11 hours ago, Beck Water said:

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/sean-mcdermott-improving-our-level-of-play

Muki Hawkins asks McDermott, "what are some of the things that you're looking to see out of your team this week, that you didn't see Week 1?"

McDermott says "Well I think we need to exhibit more discipline than we did a week ago, I think that's important"

Then he goes all generic: "and just continue to improve on our level of play in all areas" (that Kaizen Jordan Poyer talked about - McD even sketched a graph with his hand)

I had the impression that Muki caught McDermott giving a rare candid answer instead of boilerplate (of course the boilerplate followed)

What do you thnk McDermott meant by that?  What specifically does he want to see the team be more disciplined about?  Penalties?  Taunting?  Josh getting down instead of putting his shoulder down?  Gap integrity against the run?

The Bills had 5 penalties in the game:  DH on Phillips (5); DH on Taron Johnson (5) - this was on 3rd and 10 and gave them a 1st down; False Start on Saffold (3rd & 2 became 3rd & 7, converted); False Start on Spencer Brown (1st and 10 became 1st and 15); Taunting on Dane Jackson after his INT (moved starting at LA 22 to LA 37)    Then of course the league fined Diggs for taunting Ramsey, implying they believe it should have been a penalty.

Over to you, Bills Fans  🎤

Hold onto the ball, cut down turnovers and penalties 

12 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Perhaps I don't understand what "lack of discipline" means to McDermott (or to you).

The only one of those I see as lack of discipline is 4) and perhaps 1)

Fumbles/double clutched catch and tackling and a kickoff OOB are IMO failures of execution.

I say 1) injuries could be a lack of discipline because if Josh continues to run and fails to protect himself by getting down, or fails to just throw it away in the face of a Jailbreak, he risks more injury IMO.

Turnovers are usually a lack of discipline. Players don't hold the ball correctly.  It is sloppy. Poor tackling is all a lack of discipline. It is sloppy.  

Poor Execution is viewed more as not catching a ball, running the wrong route, or missing a block.  It isn't sloppy, it is just poor execution.

It really comes down to how you view sloppy play. Is it poor execution or guys not being disciplined? It could be viewed as either or both.

McDermott is just basically saying the team needs to tighten things up in all phases of the game.

Edited by Bills2022

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Cool is in pretty good company with fumbles on his first carry...

LT, CMc and some other really good players I heard them say also did that as well.

I'm sure there were plenty of bad players with a fumble on their first carry. Can't look at that as a predictor of success.

2 hours ago, StHustle said:

I don’t think turnovers have to do with discipline. That’s more so taunting and penalties imo

That was my thought.  I think McD is very much down on the "personal foul" "taunting" kind of penalties - while recognizing that top football players will snap back, they have to be controlled about it.

8 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

They had 1 and could have easily had 3.

So they incurred 2 fines.  What were you thinking for the 3rd?

Edited by Beck Water

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.