Gabe Davis Injured

Billsforumsucks

3 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

If Davis is out, I expect Knox's targets to increase

A sleeper that could have a big game in my opinion if Davis is out is Q. Morris, bigger target played wr in college could replace some of what Davis brings in more situational football

I really want to see what Morris looks like in this Offense.  Really intriguing player. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I'm torn on how much Gabe really means at times.  He just doesn't get that many targets.  I feel like you can easily develop a game plan that excludes him pretty easily.

I kind of expected this team to use Singletary a lot with or without Gabe.  I do really think this team wants to run more 2 TE sets with Singletary back there and Morris being hurt, made them de-rail.  I think they get back to that today.

9 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

I'm torn on how much Gabe really means at times.  He just doesn't get that many targets.  I feel like you can easily develop a game plan that excludes him pretty easily.

I kind of expected this team to use Singletary a lot with or without Gabe.  I do really think this team wants to run more 2 TE sets with Singletary back there and Morris being hurt, made them de-rail.  I think they get back to that today.

My initial reaction to this post was that I thought Gabe had a lot of targets last year.  Turns out, he really didn't.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2021.htm#all_rushing_and_receiving

2021 Targets:

• Stefon Diggs - 164
  • Cole Beasley - 112
  • Emmanuel Sanders - 72
  • Dawson Knox - 71
  • Gabe Davis - 63

48 minutes ago, Gugny said:

My initial reaction to this post was that I thought Gabe had a lot of targets last year.  Turns out, he really didn't.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2021.htm#all_rushing_and_receiving

2021 Targets:

• Stefon Diggs - 164
  • Cole Beasley - 112
  • Emmanuel Sanders - 72
  • Dawson Knox - 71
  • Gabe Davis - 63

That would be because last season Davis was the #4 WR behind Diggs, Sanders, and Beasley last year  He got 35% of the offensive snaps from game 2 to game 12 and averaged 2 targets per game, because he was splitting time with Sanders who had the lion's share and was the guy on the field in the Bills predominate (1,1) formation with 3 WR.

Game 13-14 and 16-17 Davis got 88% of the snaps and averaged 8 targets per game, which would project to 136 targets per season.  Those were games when Sanders was inactive or being protected with a minimal # of snaps.

Sanders and Davis together had 135 targets on the season, so that's about right for #2.  The expectation this season was that Davis would be the #2 and get that share.

Using last season's targets to infer what's expected from Davis this year needs to take the change in depth chart into account.   Davis only got 5 targets Week 1, but Allen was pretty clearly "dunking" on the Rams CB by targeting Diggs when they thought he was covered.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

Again, you need to amend that to say "he didn't get many targets last season, when he was the #4 WR with Sanders as the #2 WR"

I don't think the Bills can develop a game plan that excludes him very easily at all.  Davis got 98% of the offensive snaps last week, was targeted 5 times, and had a catch % of 80% for 88 yds and a TD.  That's ~1/3 of the passing yds and TDs.

Kumerow can block as well as Davis but with a 43% catch % in Buffalo he doesn't inspire the same fear as a WR.  So without Davis, you put in a WR who can run block (Kumerow) or a WR who can run routes and catch (McKenzie, Crowder) but you can't put in both.

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

I think you’re right about seeing more 2 TE sets when Morris is active, especially is Davis is out.  Aside from his receiving abilities, Davis adds a blocking element that not all WRs possess.  It would make sense that the Bills introduce some new personnel packages this evening.

Worth noting that the Titans are down their best CB tonight. Their most experienced CB was a was a 7th round pick. After that, it's a 2nd round pick from this year and Caleb Farley (who tore his ACL as a rookie last year). Sounds a lot like a our secondary minus Hyde and Poyer. Byard is a hell of a safety, but I'll take our guys against this Titans secondary, even without Davis. 

1 hour ago, CaliBills said:

I think 3 hours before kickoff.  So 4 PM eastern?

It’s been 90 minutes before kickoff for the longest time… I don’t  think that’s changed at all but I could be wrong?

Teams are free to release their official Inactives list before the deadline, of course, but there’s no reason to.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

2021 Targets:

• Stefon Diggs - 164
  • Cole Beasley - 112
  • Emmanuel Sanders - 72
  • Dawson Knox - 71
  • Gabe Davis - 63

I think it seems like more because he scores a lot of TD’s and makes memorable sideline catches. All he does is produce when given a chance. I’m thrilled to have him as a full time #2 WR. 

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

It’s been 90 minutes before kickoff for the longest time… I don’t  think that’s changed at all but I could be wrong?

Teams are free to release their official Inactives list before the deadline, of course, but there’s no reason to.

Looks like you are right. but saw somewhere 4 PM eastern was the time.   my B

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

2021 Targets:

• Stefon Diggs - 164
  • Cole Beasley - 112
  • Emmanuel Sanders - 72
  • Dawson Knox - 71
  • Gabe Davis - 63

I get why you think this off the first glance, but these numbers lack important context that shows why Davis is quite a bit more important today than this shows.

This year, he is the #2 WR and we don't have a defined #3 behind him either like in years past when we had Beasley.  For example, when John Brown was hurt, we still had Diggs and Beasley, plus a rookie Davis who was pretty good...when Sanders was hurt, we still had Diggs, Davis and Beasley. 

Right now, we just have Diggs with Davis out...and then a collection of guys in the slot who have not proven themselves yet as heavy target share players with Allen and this offense in McKenzie, Crowder, and Shakir.  Any one of these guys could step up and have a big game, but we won't really know how much this offense misses David until we see how one or all of these guys step up.  

So right now, Davis injury is more impactful because he is expected to take a chunk of the target share as we only have one WR in Diggs who has relevant experience as a heavy target share receiver in this offense with Allen.  

Now, that doesn't mean those guys won't step up, just means they are unproven in a significant role right now in this offense is all.  Personally I do think we will see a big game from not only Diggs, but someone else like one of those 3 guys, and/or Knox, and we will decisively win this game by multiple scores.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I get why you think this off the first glance, but these numbers lack important context that shows why Davis is quite a bit more important today than this shows.

This year, he is the #2 WR and we don't have a defined #3 behind him either like in years past when we had Beasley.  For example, when John Brown was hurt, we still had Diggs and Beasley, plus a rookie Davis who was pretty good...when Sanders was hurt, we still had Diggs, Davis and Beasley. 

Right now, we just have Diggs with Davis out...and then a collection of guys in the slot who have not proven themselves yet as heavy target share players with Allen and this offense in McKenzie, Crowder, and Shakir.  Any one of these guys could step up and have a big game, but we won't really know how much this offense misses David until we see how one or all of these guys step up.  

So right now, Davis injury is more impactful because he is expected to take a chunk of the target share as we only have one WR in Diggs who has relevant experience as a heavy target share receiver in this offense with Allen.  

Now, that doesn't mean those guys won't step up, just means they are unproven in a significant role right now in this offense is all.  Personally I do think we will see a big game from not only Diggs, but someone else like one of those 3 guys, and/or Knox, and we will decisively win this game by multiple scores.  

IMO, Knox is poised to have a BIG game.

This is Dorsey's next big test. It's relatively easier to gameplan an offense with a full cohort of talent like the Bills do. Much harder to do so with a limited group, especially when the QB may not trust the newer guys like he does the regular crew.

13 minutes ago, FireChans said:

IMO, Knox is poised to have a BIG game.

This is Dorsey's next big test. It's relatively easier to gameplan an offense with a full cohort of talent like the Bills do. Much harder to do so with a limited group, especially when the QB may not trust the newer guys like he does the regular crew.

I agree, I think Knox and the run game will be bigger parts of tonight's game plan than last week.  Not suggesting that they intentionally didn't get Knox or the RB's more involved, just the way game flowed.

I think our rookies will make an impact tonight too though.  I think Shakir will be active and get some game action, and I think we will see Cook start to become a receiving weapon out of the back field.  

Davis is an important piece to the offense, but we have a lot of playmakers on this team outside just WR, so I think we will still win decisively tonight if Davis misses the game as expected. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

2021 Targets:

• Stefon Diggs - 164
  • Cole Beasley - 112
  • Emmanuel Sanders - 72
  • Dawson Knox - 71
  • Gabe Davis - 63

That surprised me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.