Justin Herbert - fractured rib cartilage, day to day

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, 716er said:

This happened to me from doing chin ups lol

The pain is relatively mild but once every 20 minutes or so you feel like you're having a heart attack for a minute or two. When I first had symptoms I called 911. They rushed me to the hospital and boy was I relieved when I found out it was just fractured cartilage. Took about a month of rest for it to go away.

Begs the question - just exactly what kind of chin-ups do you do?  The full contact kind?

😛 j/k

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

There’s not much difference from a fractured rib or fractured rib cartilage. Sounds like they are trying to minimize the injury. Anyway, this is pretty much a season long injury that he’s going to have to deal with. Yeah, you can do rib blocks and maybe dull it a little but cartilage, like ribs, don’t heal quickly. There isn’t much blood flow to them so that’s why it takes a long time. He’s going to try and play through it, and pain control is really the key. If he takes one shot to the ribs every 2-3 weeks it’s going to knock him back to square one. This could be a very significant injury that impacts their season.

When our son had a broken ankle a family friend/distant relative explained it like this: On a scale of 1-10, a bad bone bruise is a 5, and a break is a 6. Pretty much the same thing. 

He is a retired pediatric radiologist. He knows his stuff. I know rib injuries are wicked! Sneezing, coughing, sleeping are tough. NFL football is almost unimaginable. I’ve known people with broken ribs. Ain’t no fun! 

3 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

How do you fracture cartilage?
That makes no sense to me and I am a doctor (albeit a doctor of the healing martial arts).

So

coastal_cartilage1360634346855.png&f=1&n

In the pic the blue is cartilage, the tan is bone

Especially in the lower ribs, the cartilage is actually pretty long, and if hit sharply it can crack or break like a bone dose

Help?

• Like (+1) 4

I've had the same injury, it may even be worse than broken ribs. I heard it pop & pain was extreme. Mine took 4 weeks before I could do anything involving twisting w/o a lot of pain. The injury is more common from twisting too hard than impact. It's not something a flak jacket will help, impact won't hurt it more, but twisting will.

The injury being on his left side is much worse than being on his throwing side, you use the left side to generate power to throw. I'm sure he'll get pain injections & pop some percocet, but he still won't have the same power/torque to throw. I bet he takes a few weeks off.

And we all know what happened the last time a Chargers doctor gave a player a rib injection... (cough) Tyrod (cough)

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Billl said:

I’m pretty sure he was hurt before that play, but that one made it worse.

No, I'm pretty sure that was the first hit where he stayed down for awhile. He got hit a couple of times after that though and was slow to get up.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Process said:

Jags Texans and Browns next three games 

As opposed to the chefs ridiculous schedule…the next three games are Colts, Bucs and Raiders….

KC has two easy matchups, that’d it…. The Bills, in week six and the chefs next three games the Bills, then the 49ers and titans, LOL,  gotta give the chefs a big, fat L even though it’s in KC (so expect a flag when the Bills get a turnover). But what a nutty schedule for the chefs….The freakin’ chargers had them. And they had them w/o their best WR in Keenan Allen.  That injured SD TE should have called a TO…what a huge play….hindsight is a wonderful thing….

Well if SD won I’d be just as worried about SD. Probably the better team. I personally think Mahomes is better than Herbert but SD is better than KC, especially if Allen plays.

And I think Buffalo has the best team, especially if Tre White plays…Tre makes a huge difference. We can play any type of D we want back there with him in the lineup….

I do hope we get Khalil Shakir some playing time this week, as crazy as it seems, I think he is a key Bill that needs experience pronto. Once Khalil is resting both Diggs and Davis we are a better team. Baby steps….

I thought he might have a cracked rib judging by the way he was getting hit and the incredible pain he seemed to be in.

On that one play, he tried to make a throw and just couldn't do it, and kind of lobbed the ball out of bounds instead of throwing near coverage to his receiver.

If they don't sit him and deal with it correctly, he'll be hampered by this ALL YEAR LONG.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Success said:

He has earned my respect.  He took some real shots last night, and toughed it out until the end.

Though, that 3rd down where he could have walked easily for a 1st - that was weird....

I made a snarky Kyle Orton against Denver reference but then realized he was so much pain that sliding would be too much pain for him to handle.  Let alone getting hit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I made a snarky Kyle Orton against Denver reference but then realized he was so much pain that sliding would be too much pain for him to handle.  Let alone getting hit.

this is what I was thinking as well…while it looked weird watching it live…I immediately turned to my girlfriend and said he was worried about what sliding would feel like. Same time I know Josh would have never made that decision. He woulda just dealt with whatever pain he was met with after picking up the first down and sliding.

This is really bad news for the Bolts.  If they were smart they’d shut him down for the next two weeks at a minimum; the schedule is favorable and they have enough talent to beat the Jags and Texans.  Daniels is a pro.  If they go with a half-assed approach where he’s trying to practice and then “seeing if he can give it a go” it’s going to last much longer.

And yes, this is the same injury that began the Flutie era in Buffalo in ‘98.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.