Is this what the RB is supposed to do? (Cover1 breakdown of pass rush against the Rams)

Beck Water

Highlighting some BigJ9797 against the Rams

At 8:28 or so in case my timestamp doesn't work, they're breaking down a play where Phillips beats the LG while Da'Quan Jones is  attracting the attention of the C, leaving Phillips a clear lane to the QB.

Well, not quite.  #3, Cam Akers, is in the backfield, seemingly to pass protect.

RB mavens, what is Akers supposed to do?  I would think he should try to get a piece of Phillips.  At least slow him down a bit, give Stafford a bit of time.

He comes over like that's his intent, then scurries on out of there like "Nope!" before contact while Stafford gets legally FLATTENED just after he released the ball.

Is that what he's supposed to do?

In fact, Stafford does complete the pass to (I think) Kupp for about 10 yds, so some might consider that as a defensive "fail" but I'm not sure Stafford's rib cage would score it as a success. 

If that were Josh/Motor I'd be like c'mon man, push him to the side, make him jump over you, do *something* to slow him down.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Dislike 1

17 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

That’s called making a business decision

He wanted nothing to do with big Phil

4 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I suspect this is why Henderson got the start....

I would think Akers is supposed to block or chip before leaking out.

Those were my first thoughts.

Then I noticed that Stafford is setting up to throw at the time Phillips breaks through, so I wondered if typical pass-pro rules call for the RB to just get out of there once the QB throws, hoping for a "roughing" penalty or so as to not interfere with the QB's set up to the throw?

I dunno, if I were a QB I'd rather skip the penalty and not have 300 lbs full-speed into my ribs

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.