New MNF doubleheader format

YoloinOhio

6 hours ago, chongli said:

Reminds me when I was young, and watching the Minnesota at Buffalo MNF game right before the strike in 1982 (or was it blacked out and I was listening to the game in the living room??) . I had to go to bed at around half time or the foutth quarter maybe, but I still stayed up and listened quietly to Van Miller's call on the radio in my room in the total dark, lol. The Bills started 2-0 and one one of the SB favorites that year. No way I was going to miss the game. As it turned out, Buffalo came from behind 22-13 in the fourth quarter to win it 23-22. It was definitely worth staying up for!

Ha!  We were at that game.  After the game we were taking a leak in the woods and saw a bunch of papers and cards all over the ground.  When we got home my sister realized her purse was missing and we concluded the van had been broken into. We went back to the woods and it was all her stuff we had been taking a leak on!

• Haha (+1) 1

The only good thing I can think of about this format is that if the games were in a true doubleheader format like in previous years, I would've been on the couch watching football and its excessive commercials for 6-7 hours. This way it'll only be 3+ hours of being a sofa spud and I'll be blitzed by half the commercials.

21 hours ago, Gugny said:

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2022/09/15/how-to-watch-bills-vs-titans-on-streaming-tv-monday-night-football/69494158007/

To make matters worse (or should I say worst?), we get last year's crap announcing team:

ESPN with Steve Levy (play-by-play), Louis Riddick and Dan Orlovsky (analysts), and Laura Rutledge (sideline reporter). 

This sucks.  A LOT.

Can anyone verify that the game will also be on ESPN2?  I cannot find it anywhere and I'm hoping it's on ESPN2 with different announcers.

1st - I like that crew way better than Aikman and Buck - who I think are just terrible.  They were bad on Fox and terrible as the only pair.  

I wish we had the Manning cast as that is at least entertaining.

I have no issues with what they are doing - they are catering to the majority of fans to bring more viewers in.  Good for the NFL and Good for ESPN.

I personally will watch the single channel game and don’t want split screen, but considering the number of RedZone and NFL mix channels available- this format makes so much sense for the modern fan and ensures eyes on TVs a lot longer as there is not just 1 potential blow-out game where most of the nation shuts the TV by 9pm eastern.

21 hours ago, Mattymafia said:

Two east coast teams playing a little over an hour apart is really dumb.

It isn’t- they want the overlap to test out the RedZone style format that is highly popular.

This is not some random ill thought out idea - this is the NFL and ESPN looking to the future and ways to give them more and better games for the money.

It also is a way to ensure eyes on TVs to increase revenue dollars and ensure - even if one game is a blow-out - they have available action to keep viewers.

If will continue to grow and expand, but there is 100% noting wrong with this.  Much like Amazon Prime - it is an attempt to engage fans with the things they like and see how that can make a more monetary experience for the NFL while keeping fans engaged.

Edited by Rochesterfan

19 hours ago, 947 said:

The split screen sucks, instead of making half the screen for each game, they put each game in a small rectangle that's about 20% of the screen. It's like gluing 2 iPads onto your tv screen.  You can't see anything.

I watch RedZone a lot when the Bills aren't playing, and screen splitting pisses me off to no end. I have to watch a TD pass on a tiny screen so they can also show Cleveland kick a 19yd field goal? Why can't they just delay one of them by 5 seconds & show both in full screen? The only thing worse is when they do the 3-game split...

It pisses you off, but you still watch it - along with tons of other fans and because it is so popular and because people flock to it to see continuous action - you get this experiment.

The Monday night games have been bad for a number of years and the NFL and ESPN are trying to find ways to keep more people involved and if it takes 2 mostly simultaneous games to ensure there is action for fans that are not invested  - then this makes perfect sense.

if no one watched Red Zone and Mixed NFL channels - then this would not be an option, but they seem not only to be popular, but growing in popularity with betting and fantasy football and to me this is a brilliant attempt that I think will get more play going forward to get more football overlap.

7 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Ha!  We were at that game.  After the game we were taking a leak in the woods and saw a bunch of papers and cards all over the ground.  When we got home my sister realized her purse was missing and we concluded the van had been broken into. We went back to the woods and it was all her stuff we had been taking a leak on!

Damn! I hope you didn't tell your sister what happened. And I hope you wore gloves if you picked up her items. 😅

[And concerning the game again, the bad news was the strike began after that week's games concluded, and lasted eight weeks. The Bills started 2-0 but wound up 4-5 and out of the expanded playoffs  I firmly bilieve the Bills would have had a magical season if it weren't for the strike. A writer in Sports Illustrated even predicted the Bills would win the Super Bowl after making the playoffs the previous two seasons. As it turned out, our AFC East rivals Miami and the Jets had terrific seasons. And that was the beginning of the Bills mid=80's downfall. Six straight seasons out of the playoffs, including two consecutvive 2-14 seasons followed by a 4-12 season. Buffalo had become the laughing stock of the league.

Also, now that I checked, the game actually occurred on TNF. I could have sworn it was MNF. Either way, it was a school night for me.]

Edited by chongli

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.