‘It’s Over!‘: LeSean McCoy Rips Patriots Head Coach

Scott7975

5 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Belichick is one of the greatest defensive minds to ever coach the sport, but he’s only had two winning seasons without Tom Brady (someone correct me if I’m wrong). 
Having arguably the greatest QB to ever play the game will elevate any coach to a higher tier and to rub salt in the wound, Brady won the Super Bowl on an entirely different team the very year after he left the Patriots!

As great as Belichick’s contributions are to the game, he owes Brady his “god-like” status as HC. I think Belichick is a much better defensive coordinator than he ever was a GM or HC.

If we include the 2008 season when Brady was injured for the year in the opening game, then 3 seasons without Brady as QB - 1994, 2008, 2021

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

He stopped the 1990 Bills offense in the super bowl, and of course Tom Brady didn't help him do that.  He's a great defense coach.  Without a strong O coordinator and QB he looks very average.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont know where else to post this, but have to share because the wording of the tweet cracked me up, and then the video absolutely delivers. 🤣

To me, the funniest part of that clip is the ridiculous hang time that 40 yard throw has before dropping out of the sky like someone was out duck hunting. I half expect a golden retriever to come running out to get it. 

• Haha (+1) 6

8 minutes ago, Beast said:

Pete Carroll was two game over .500 in his last two years with the Patriots with Bledsoe as his starter. (17-15)

Belichick was 5-13 with Bledsoe as his starter the next two seasons until Drew went down.

Belichick was on his way to being canned until Mo Lewis saved his career.

If Brady never takes over the Patriots never have a dynasty. That much is unquestionably true. But Belichick's record without Brady proves he can coach, rather than proving the opposite. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If Brady never takes over the Patriots never have a dynasty. That much is unquestionably true. But Belichick's record without Brady proves he can coach, rather than proving the opposite. 

Then you must think Lovie Smith is Lombardi-esque with his above .500 record as a head coach in the NFL (89-87-1). A much better ecord than Belichick's without Brady. (71-80)

Wayne Fontes had a better winning percentage than Belichick does without Brady!

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Coaching is about a 3rd of performance. I have always thought that. Quarterback is more important than coach. 

This seems to be true - to whatever extent I don’t know. 

I look at most team sports champions and the “greatest” coaches have had the best players at key positions. 

9 minutes ago, Beast said:

Then you must think Lovie Smith is Lombardi-esque with his above .500 record as a head coach in the NFL (89-87-1). A much better ecord than Belichick's without Brady. (71-80)

Wayne Fontes had a better winning percentage than Belichick does without Brady!

Lovie Smith was a good coach in Chicago. I wanted him as the Bills coach when we hired Marrone. He failed miserably in Tampa, I think the game had passed him by, let's see in Houston. They way you judge coaches is what they do with what they have. Lovie Smith got that team, Quarterbacked by Rex freaking Grossman to a Superbowl. Bill Belichick two years ago took the worst Quarterbacking in the league and went 7-9. But when you gave Belichick the best QB in the league? He won 6 superbowls. He maximised what he had. With bad and with good. That is what the best coaches do.

I think being about .500 without top end QB is a good coaching job in the NFL. I have no idea who Wayne Fontes is. I'm not 102. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have no idea who Wayne Fontes is. I'm not 102. 

Wayne Fontes is the winningest coach in Detroit Lions history. He took them to the playoffs when nobody ever dreamed of that. Plus, he did it with a smile on his face and is a good guy.

You're way better than that last remark. He coached in the late 80s and early 90s.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I think that it's a combination of things. They just had a solid season last year, but that was with McDaniels heading up the offense. McDaniels was a huge loss for them imo. He was there for 5 out of 6 championships. The replacements, so to speak, Patricia and Judge are putrid. The roster is lacking the talent it once had ALL the way around. OL, Secondary, DL, having Mac-n-Cheese back there versus Brady, WR, LB, RB, it's really not good at all. Their drafting has been pretty bad the last 5 or 6 years as well. The loss of Brady, and now McDaniels, just pushed everything else to the forefront and the light is shining directly on their HC/GM. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Wayne Fontes is the winningest coach in Detroit Lions history. He took them to the playoffs when nobody ever dreamed of that. Plus, he did it with a smile on his face and is a good guy.

You're way better than that last remark. He coached in the late 80s and early 90s.

I am also way younger than that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, H2o said:

I think that it's a combination of things. They just had a solid season last year, but that was with McDaniels heading up the offense. McDaniels was a huge loss for them imo. He was there for 5 out of 6 championships. The replacements, so to speak, Patricia and Judge are putrid. The roster is lacking the talent it once had ALL the way around. OL, Secondary, DL, having Mac-n-Cheese back there versus Brady, WR, LB, RB, it's really not good at all. Their drafting has been pretty bad the last 5 or 6 years as well. The loss of Brady, and now McDaniels, just pushed everything else to the forefront and the light is shining directly on their HC/GM. 

The difference between this year when I truly think they are bad and 2020 when a lot thought they'd be bad and I said they would be around .500 is then they had a top 5 OL with two of the top 5 or 6 guards in football and a top 5 secondary with Gilmore, Jackson and McCourty two years younger. 

Now I genuinely do not think there is a single unit on that team that would be considered top 15 in the league let alone top 5.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Lovie Smith was a good coach in Chicago. I wanted him as the Bills coach when we hired Marrone. He failed miserably in Tampa, I think the game had passed him by, let's see in Houston. They way you judge coaches is what they do with what they have. Lovie Smith got that team, Quarterbacked by Rex freaking Grossman to a Superbowl. Bill Belichick two years ago took the worst Quarterbacking in the league and went 7-9. But when you gave Belichick the best QB in the league? He won 6 superbowls. He maximised what he had. With bad and with good. That is what the best coaches do.

I think being about .500 without top end QB is a good coaching job in the NFL. I have no idea who Wayne Fontes is. I'm not 102. 

Is it too early to put Staley on the hot seat??!!

Also, Belichick briefly put a pulse back in the Browns, going from 6 to 1 wins and a playoff with Bernie Kosar, Mark Rypien, Mike Tomczak, and Vinny Testaverde (in a row) behind the wheel---and everyone says "but he had a losing record in Cleveland!!".  Every coach (21 of them) in the last 50 years  but Marty Schottenheimer has had a losing record in Cleveland. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.