Josh vs. Herbert and Mahomes…

Dopey

Herbert certainly showed a lot of moxie last night. He was clearly in a lot of pain and despite that was able to make those two great throws on the TD drive. I haven’t watched him a ton, but when I have he’s always seemed kind of emotionless. One of the things that elevate Allen and Mahomes is their competitiveness, which is clearly evident in their actions and behavior… their teams feed off of it… Herbert seems pretty vanilla in that regard to me. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I'd love to see him on a different team and see how he does. He's going to get paid a ***** ton of money either way.

He wants fully guaranteed because he runs and gets hurt…that’s his game.  Will see have that translates to getting another team to do that.

17 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m not planning to say disparaging things about another QB to prop Josh up. I think Josh Allen is fantastic. I think that Patrick Mahomes is too. Justin Herbert is great but is less accomplished at this point. They are all a little different but QBs that you can consistently win with. Bills fans, Chiefs fans and Chargers fans should be thrilled.

Agreed but um 😐 can I still call him Kermit?

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Herbert lacks agility that the other two have. That's the only reason I can come up with as to why he seems to refuse or be unable to make plays with his legs. He also doesn't even scramble behind the line much either. Not a lot of "secondary reaction" plays. Not like Allen and Mahomes anyway.

That said, in terms of just pure throwing ability, reading the defense and executing the play as designed Herbert is second to none in that regard. 

Herbert’s next step is learning pre play where he wants to go, and manipulating the defense to make the throw more open. Herbert goes through his reads and very fast, but when they are covered, he’s out of his element. 

His mistake last night was not realizing that Everett was gassed and wouldn't be at 100%.  And Staley is just dumb sometimes.  They were playing up tempo, when milking the clock would have been better, and couldn't give Everett time to be subbed out.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Allen is better angry runner than Herbert.  

It's starting to get to the point where Herbert just isn't a runner at all. It's one of the baffling things about him. Maybe @Alphadawg7 is correct about him not wanting contact. He doesn't threaten first downs with his legs. Even Mahomes has used his legs for first downs a lot more than Herbert the last couple of seasons. Although thus far this year Mahomes has yet to do so. 

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

It's starting to get to the point where Herbert just isn't a runner at all. He doesn't threaten first downs with his legs. Even Mahomes has used his legs for first downs a lot more than Herbert the last couple of seasons. Although thus far this year Mahomes has yet to do so. 

Mahomes uses his legs mostly to throw. His 2 TDs are what makes him special.

The Chargers and Herbert are a photocopied version of the Bills and Allen.  They're really similar, but not quite as sharp.

Mahomes is a point guard playing QB that can also throw it a mile.  His ability to elude tackles and throw from any angle is unmatched.  Allen and Mahomes are different QBs, but both are winners and the best in the game.

28 minutes ago, Doc said:

His mistake last night was not realizing that Everett was gassed and wouldn't be at 100%.  And Staley is just dumb sometimes.  They were playing up tempo, when milking the clock would have been better, and couldn't give Everett time to be subbed out.

I thought I noticed the same thing. Everett had just made back to back receptions IIRC. One for a lot of YAC. Dude looked gas on that goal line play that ended in the pick 6. Kind of just stumbling off the line while the Chargers were going up tempo. 

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Mahomes uses his legs mostly to throw. His 2 TDs are what makes him special.

I forget the exact stat but in 2020 or maybe the last two seasons no QB had converted more 3rd and 10+ with their legs than Mahomes. He'll take off an run. Herbert just doesn't do that. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.