LA Chargers @ KC Chiefs - TNF Game Thread

Simon

4 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

After watching tonight, I still see Chargers winning AFC West with 10 wins. I still see Bills Chargers in Buffalo for AFC Championship 

It's too early to say you are wrong, but KC has a 1 game lead already with a division win in hand.  For the Chargers to win the division winning only 10, that would mean KC is going to have a disaster in the last 15 games.  KC would need to go 8-7 or worse in the remaining games, with one of those being a loss the the Chargers AND also finishing with a worse division record or other tiebreaker if they finish tied at 10.  That doesn't seem likely.

6 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Both teams resisted running the ball last night. Chargers suffered from bad play calling esp that call from the 3 which resulted in the terrible pick6.

As for the Chiefs , they did look out of sorts including Mahomes. And why the heck did Reid draft CEH in the first round if he was g gong to make him a part (even a small one) of the O?

1.  one of the worst attributes of Andy Ried is he just doesn't like committing to the run, even when it's working...and you can couple that with wanting to be cute on short yardage plays where he calls very ill advised, low pct run plays when he either should just pass, or commit to a conventional straight line run.  Either way...last nights game was NOT one of Andy's better performances as a play caller.  

2.  Kansas City has a good line, but the OT are both beatable with a good speed rush.  Von Miller will be a problem.

3.  The Chargers roster is stacked.  They suffer from horrible, sub optimal play calling.  Joe Lombardi doesn't know how to coordinate an offense without Sean Payton telling him what to do with Drew Brees at QB.  Lombardi fails to utilize Herbert to his full potential.  The Chargers are held back by bad coaching.

4.  All 17 games aren't always going to be masterpieces.  KC got steamrolled by the Titans last year,  The Bills lost to the Jags.  Both teams played at a high level (offensively at least) in a huge playoff game.  Sometimes you need some breaks, and sometimes you need a defesnsive or special teams score to be the difference.

5.  I've seen some saying that if the Chargers had scored the TD instead of KC getting the 99 yard pic 6, that would have been the ball game.  .....It would of course been WAY better for the Chargers, but that happened when the game was tied at 17.  KC would have been down 7, with the ball with like 8 minutes left in the game or whatever.  You can't say that was game over.  The Chargers as it were, got the ball back down 24-17 and didn't do anything with it.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

After watching tonight, I still see Chargers winning AFC West with 10 wins. I still see Bills Chargers in Buffalo for AFC Championship 

I don't know, pretty hard to picture a team winning the West with only 10 wins.  I know that the narrative is that they are all going to beat each other up, but I don't see the Broncos being in this race at all.  I just don't rate the current version of Russell Wilson, and I have thought this for over a year now not just after week 1.  Chargers are playing a 3rd place schedule that should see them getting 11+ wins, and the Chiefs are almost a lock for 10+ as well.  

I was also thinking last night about the coaching gap in the AFC West.  Andy Reid has 406 games under his belt as an NFL HC while the trio of Staley, McDaniels and Hackett have a total of 49 with a combined 21-28 record.  Coaching has an impact and this is a big advantage in KC's favour that doesn't seem to be talked about very much.

The Chiefs look a little different without Tyreek Hill,  but as long as they have Mahomes and Andy Reid, they will be a very tough out.  The thing that favors Kansas City over Buffalo (until proven otherwise)...is that KC knows how to win the close games.  They always win the close games.  The Bills haven't shown the ability to do that over the past year.  So we shall see.  

If you watch the play before the pick six, Everett makes a great catch and run to get the Chargers down into scoring position. He gets up and immediately motions to the bench that he needs to be taken out. The Chargers ignore his request and elect to go fast, thinking they have the Chiefs on their heels. Herbert makes the mistake of throwing to his exhausted (or possibly injured) receiver, who just stands there instead of making any sort of move/cut on his route, and when the ball is intercepted he continues to stand there with virtually no attempt to stop the defender…but instead fumbles for his mouthpiece which has popped out at the moment. So, what happened on that fateful play? Answer: the Chargers screwed up! Watching it live last night I couldn’t believe they didn’t sub Everett out. Dumb. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Why all this great hype on Mahomes from last night's game? He should've had 3 INTs and lost that game. 

Except the great Herbert and Co grabbed defeat from the jaws of victory.

San Diego Chargers are NOT who we think they are.

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Why all this great hype on Mahomes from last night's game? He should've had 3 INTs and lost that game. 

I mean, we could say the same about Allen and the Bills?  "Why all this great hype on Allen from last Thursday's game?  He HAD 2 INTs and the team fumbled twice.  They should have lost that game."

This entire game came down to 2 plays:

1. Asante Samuel Jr makes that INT and then Jeff Bezos radios down and says to change it so the first Amazon prime game is more interesting. Otherwise the game is over at that point.

2. Everett is tired and asking to come out but for whatever reason the Chargers run hurry up offense with a 1st and goal inside the 5 and plenty of time on the clock. He lazily runs his route and the throw is picked off and returned for 6.

KC didn't win that game, the Chargers lost it. A team that can't even make the playoffs can't win in the big moments. No surprise there

Edited by KDIGGZ
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I mean, we could say the same about Allen and the Bills?  "Why all this great hype on Allen from last Thursday's game?  He HAD 2 INTs and the team fumbled twice.  They should have lost that game."

No!! Bills dominated that game in every aspect. Offensive, defensive and special teams. Chargers lost last night because of a pick six. The Bills had 4 TOs and the Rams scored 7 points, if I remember correctly

pfft. even I the most cynical jaded scoffer at the  entire LA Charger organization had began thinking THIS year they would with acquisitions (Mack)  have a similar story to the Bills with von miller. Steady ascent. I have friends here who would like to see that team do well. 

lol SMH What was I thinking? Same ole chargers. Been that way for years.  they can take their pipedream of LA being a city that will support that team and smoke it. Herbert I still think has great potential  but the franchise?

I scoff em mostly.

m

1 minute ago, Process said:

You clearly didn't watch either game. 

He could have easily had 5 INTs yesterday. Instead all these clowns in the media who just look at stats are talking about great he is and how he is the MVP favorite, when he played like crap. 

Played like crap? Hyperbole much? It wasn't a great performance and absolutely he didn't look like an MVP but let's not get caried away here. 🙄

2 hours ago, The Red King said:

One play, just one, and you have a 14-point swing along with momentum.  The Chargers never looked the same after that.  They had 'em.

It reminded me of the Taron Johnson pick 6 we had against the Ravens in the playoffs. Granted a lot less time on the clock in yesterday's game. 

25 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

This entire game came down to 2 plays:

1. Asante Samuel Jr makes that INT and then Jeff Bezos radios down and says to change it so the first Amazon prime game is more interesting.

2. Everett is tired and asking to come out but for whatever reason the Chargers run hurry up offense with a 1st and goal inside the 5 and plenty of time on the clock. He lazily runs his route and the throw is picked off and returned for 6.

KC didn't win that game, the Chargers lost it. A team that can't even make the playoffs can't win in the big moments. No surprise there

There's something to the "Chargers lost it" or as I put it "KC has a lucky horseshoe up their butt" philosphy

But do you seriously think Jeff Bezos has a direct line to NFL refs during the game?  At worst, I felt that was a debateable call and that Samuel did appear to lose his grip on the ball as he went to the ground and it hit the turf before he picked it up.  The Chargers had other chances to pick Mahomes and couldn't seal the deal.  Their DBs need to hit the Juggs machine.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Haaaaaa, ok. 

Not at all comparable.  

Bills dominated and turnovers kept Rams in it for a half.  

Chiefs struggled and it took a turnover & overturn of a turnover to decide the game. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

No!! Bills dominated that game in every aspect. Offensive, defensive and special teams. Chargers lost last night because of a pick six. The Bills had 4 TOs and the Rams scored 7 points, if I remember correctly

And yet, we went into the half tied 10 - 10 despite that dominance.  Why is that?

I understand your point.  The Bills did appear to dominate the game at the LOS.  But when the dust settles, what we have is that despite that apparent dominence, and in part due to all the turnovers, the Bills didn't go up by 2 scores until the 4Q.  That won't cut it with a "Lucky Horseshoe Butt" team like the Chiffs.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.