LA Chargers @ KC Chiefs - TNF Game Thread

Simon

The Chargers should have won this game. 

The injuries, Staley, questionable punting, and Herbert's pick 6 are why they blew it. 

If no pick 6 the Chargers win easily.  

They had a chance tonight to essentially take over the AFC West - the Chiefs are not the same team as the last 3 years.  Was JuJu even targeted?  Did MVS catch anything?  Mahomes has to be great almost the whole game and get the D to drop INTs.  

And they do not have a good enough defense.  Their D-line took advantage of the Chargers injuries.  

AFC power rankings:

Bills

Chargers

Bengals 

Chiefs 

Ravens 

Browns - Broncos - Miami - Raiders - Colts (all 9-8 teams)

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Those teams aren't that good.  The Chargers are.  KC will be 5-0 unless Mahomes doesn't play in any or all of those.  

I wouldn't underestimate those teams. 

Same for the Bills. I expect them to win, but Titans and Ravens are no joke. Even Steelers and Miami could win if Allen has a bad day.

11 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

The injuries, Staley, questionable punting, and Herbert's pick 6 are why they blew it. 

They had a chance tonight to essentially take over the AFC West - the Chiefs are not the same team as the last 3 years.  Was JuJu even targeted?  Did MVS catch anything?  Mahomes has to be great almost the whole game and get the D to drop INTs.  

And they do not have a good enough defense.  Their D-line took advantage of the Chargers injuries.  

AFC power rankings:

Bills

Chargers

Bengals 

Chiefs 

Ravens 

You have the Chiefs as the 4th best AFC team? That's bold to put it mildly.

To me there is KC and Buffalo, then everyone else

• Agree 2

44 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

AFC power rankings:

Bills

Chargers

Bengals 

Chiefs 

Ravens 

Chargers definitely the better team tonight, just could not get a call to go their way. Mahomes still played great but seemed to have everything go his way tonight, picks called back and a huge pick 6 dropped, a ridiculous PA, the list goes on. If Everett breaks inside on that play they win.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

I wouldn't underestimate those teams. 

Same for the Bills. I expect them to win, but Titans and Ravens are no joke. Even Steelers and Miami could win if Allen has a bad day.

Titans aren't that good. AJ is gone and Henry looks much different since his injury. And Tannehill is still Tannehill. I will be shocked if the Bills don't win easily Monday night. Although the f'n weather forecast has changed from dry to wet all of a sudden. 

7 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Mahomes should've had 3 or maybe 4 interceptions in that game. Mack was quiet and as usual the flags went Andy's way. 

On two of Mahomes worst throws that were picked off, about 7 flags came out on the field both times. He is the new Tom Brady. 

Edited by Bubba Gump
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bubba Gump said:

Titans aren't that good. AJ is gone and Henry looks much different since his injury. And Tannehill is still Tannehill. I will be shocked if the Bills don't win easily Monday night. Although the f'n weather forecast has changed from dry to wet all of a sudden. 

I expect the Bills to win, but the Titans are still a well-coached team and, like you said, the weather. I do like that it's on prime time, so we should get peak creature Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

Friday morning reflections:

1. I did make the point that the Chiefs offensive explosion on Sunday was as much about Cardinals incompetence as it was Kansas City brilliance. Their offense was patchy all night last night and their two main free agent acquisitions at receiver - Juju and MVS went a combined 5 catches for 23 yards. Don't cash those checks on "better without Hill" just yet....

2. The mistake Arizona made was blitzing them. And while the Chargers actually had a couple of successful blitzes early in this game the one long touchdown they got burned for to Watson came on a blitz. I will say this for the millionth time..... you DO NOT BLITZ Patrick Mahomes.

3. Why were the Chargers blitzing? Well because their 4 man rush was distinctly unimpressive. When they brought Mack in to pair with Joey Bosa it was to get to Mahomes in these games. Last night the Chiefs offensive line won the battle. 

4. One of the big reasons for the Chiefs taking Trent McDuffie (who missed this game injured) was to allow them to get L'Jarius Sneed back in the slot where he excelled as a rookie before a mixed sophomore year splitting time between the slot and the boundary. Early last night they used him on the boundary and he got beaten by Williams for a touchdown. They then put him back in the slot, brought in Jaylen Watson their rookie 7th rounder (go see my draft sleepers post from April, I loved this kid's potential) and he only went and made the play of the game with a pick 6. 

5. The Chargers missed Keenan Allen, big time. It felt like the receivers really struggled to separate all night and while Mike Williams is a contested catch monster you can't live like that the entire game throwing balls to covered guys. Allen isn't a physical freak, but he gets open. Without him this offense got stuck in neutral at times. 

6. Which brings me to Justin Herbert. Why does a guy who plays so well at the end of games in the clutch, down late in the 4th etc (see him leading his team on a TD drive when he could barely walk at the end last night) manage to lose so many of these games? It is because he has lulls, often in the 3rd Quarter. After scoring on their first drive of the second half the Chargers went 3 and out on three of their next four drives with Herbet going 2 of 5 for 9 yards. One off? Nope. Go back to the "win and in" game against the Raiders in January and in the third Quarter they had three 3 and outs (well 2 and one 4 and out where they went for it and didn't make it on 4th down) in a row. In that stretch Herbert went 2 of 4 for 9 yards and an interception. Because of how good he has been we maybe forget Herbert is only starting year 3. But it is an area he has to work on. His mid game lulls can be overcome most weeks. But in the biggest games they end up coming back to kill you. 

* just a further note on the Jaylen Watson pick as it pertains to the Bills. Make no mistake about how important Brandon Beane and Brett Veach are in this Bills - Chiefs rivalry. They are in an arms race that isn't just about hitting on early draft picks but is as much about how they re-stock their teams in the middle and late rounds. The Bills find Christian Benford in the 6th. The Chiefs reply with Jaylen Watson in the 7th. You want to be in the mix every year with $50m Quarterbacks? That is the sort of drafting it takes. Going to be another fascinating year. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Who were the Chargers missing?  They were missing OT Brendan Jaimes, who else on OL?

Also WR Keenan Allen who is a loss for them, but it seemed like they had guys who stepped up.

I am watching on a 2012 Samsung SmartTV using the Amazon Prime Video app installed on an Apple TV.

The resolution and frame rate are both fine.  It was 1080p and fast.  I was pleased with the video quality.

I have ~600 Mbps download over fiberoptic and a Mesh router to compensate for all the brick walls between our router and TV.

They also lost their Center - Linsley - in the first half. 

I watched the game on our Firestick and then moved to an I-pad and thought the picture and sound were fine.  

I did have one small hiccup where the load rate dropped, but I have the same issue with Prime when I watch movies and with the NFL app when I stream a game.  Typically a closing of the app and a reload fixes everything.

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

someone upthread mentioned.  How to access?

On the I-Pad - when I selected the game - instead of hitting the watch button - you scroll down like you want to see other episodes of a show or “similar” shows and there were 4 broadcast options.

- National Feed

- National Feed - Spanish Audio

- Prime Vision - National Feed

- Dude Perfect Simulcast 

The Prime Vision was absolutely awesome - I thought.  

You got a bit more of an All-22 look, They had names of either the offense or defensive game changers.  

They used motion to show certain routes and runs with the lines right on the field - just like when you are watching highlights.

It was very busy, but on the side you had a tracker with relevant things like win probability (needed to update faster), 4th down Go versus punt or go versus FG graphics, limited stats, who the team has looked for on 3rd down, etc.

They also ran a “tracker” along the bottom with quips, stats, funny tweets, relevant things going on, just tons of info.

I thought it was fantastic - although some of the data on the sides and ticker was not updated fast enough for the next situation- for a first broadcast- they did great.  I loved how live they had the data from the players sensors seamlessly embedded into the live video.

I could of done without the Dude Perfect simulcast as they are no Mannings, but it was a similar idea - people talking about everything as the game is on-going.  Just no where near as good or relevant.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

• Simon unpinned this topic
4 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Mahomes should've had 3 or maybe 4 interceptions in that game. Mack was quiet and as usual the flags went Andy's way. 

Agreed. Mahomes is the new Brady, so so lucky. Some of those passes he was literally just throwing and hoping for the best and could have been picked so many times. It's frustrating when he does that and then you see the flags because you know he's off the hook.

The Chiefs are damn good though, they just find ways to win even when things are going badly. The regular season game is obviously big but if we meet them again in the playoffs we'll have to be near perfect to put them away

7 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

I see the bat signal.

I'm here.  I haven't read over this entire thread...just getting to the internet since the game ended....

I'll say...not a good game by Andy playcalling.  Mahomes frustrated by shell coverage and Joey Bosa getting there.  Andy has a HARD time committing to the run even when it's going pretty well.

Both teams resisted running the ball last night. Chargers suffered from bad play calling esp that call from the 3 which resulted in the terrible pick6.

As for the Chiefs , they did look out of sorts including Mahomes. And why the heck did Reid draft CEH in the first round if he was g gong to make him a part (even a small one) of the O?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.