Well Bill Simmons has bowed to Bills fans.....

Billsfan1972

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

Not sure of the exact cut off but I think if you knew a Justin in high school you're considered a millenial.  

Wow, I knew multiple Justins!

No idea where they are now. I'll just assume dead.

2 minutes ago, teef said:

I fixed your comment so it was more appropriate. I hope you don’t mind. 

what's up with these fans from the early 70s...

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I didn’t say that he wasn’t successful. I said that his voice doesn’t matter in the sports world anymore (he still has SOME juice within the NBA but not like he did). It doesn’t. He had a huge audience back in the day. People were looking for him to “weigh in.” He is irrelevant now and we are all better of for it.

Nobody was ever looking to Simmons to "weigh in" (whatever that actually means). He put a comedic slant on sports as a tortured fan and he did it well. Until, of course, he wasn't a tortured fan anymore. He managed to make an 9-figure career out of it.

1 minute ago, QCity said:

Nobody was ever looking to Simmons to "weigh in" (whatever that actually means). He put a comedic slant on sports as a tortured fan and he did it well. Until, of course, he wasn't a tortured fan anymore. He managed to make an 9-figure career out of it.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/weigh-in

I agree with your post. He was interesting until 2004 when the Sox won. His voice hasn’t mattered since. His role as a producer is way more important than his voice as a sports personality. 

4 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Still don't know who the ***** this is

He’s a guy from Boston that used to write a column on ESPN. It was like 20 years ago now. He went out to LA to try to do his own thing and made a bunch of money. He’s a nobody.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/weigh-in

I agree with your post. He was interesting until 2004 when the Sox won. His voice hasn’t mattered since. His role as a producer is way more important than his voice as a sports personality. 

He’s a guy from Boston that used to write a column on ESPN. It was like 20 years ago now. He went out to LA to try to do his own thing and made a bunch of money. He’s a nobody.

Yea for someone who doesn't matter, he seems to keep doing interesting things, get's very good (and many high profiled) guests.

For those who don't read (or listen) to The Ringer you are missing out on a lot.

https://awfulannouncing.com/streaming/bill-simmons-has-been-promoted-to-spotifys-head-of-global-sports-content-a-move-with-potential-pros-and-cons.html

https://www.vox.com/recode/23167942/bill-simmons-podcast-spotify-interview-peter-kafka

And happy to hear Kirby Jackson you know more about Football.  Most times I just want to hear from knowledgeable fans and not those who know know every intricacy involved.   

Simmons said he didn't even watch the second half of Bills/Titans.  He's a tool and knows next to nothing about non-NBA and non-Boston sports.  He's a gambling addict as well (by his own admission).

He is absolutely the last person in America to get on the Bills bandwagon and he'll be the first one off it as soon as there's a bump in the road.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yea for someone who doesn't matter, he seems to keep doing interesting things, get's very good (and many high profiled) guests.

For those who don't read (or listen) to The Ringer you are missing out on a lot.

https://awfulannouncing.com/streaming/bill-simmons-has-been-promoted-to-spotifys-head-of-global-sports-content-a-move-with-potential-pros-and-cons.html

https://www.vox.com/recode/23167942/bill-simmons-podcast-spotify-interview-peter-kafka

And happy to hear Kirby Jackson you know more about Football.  Most times I just want to hear from knowledgeable fans and not those who know know every intricacy involved.   

Bill Simmons ushered in an era of “boisterous fans with an audience.” Guys like Kyle Brandt (despite his family connections) wouldn’t exist without Simmons. He mattered 20 years ago. The tortured fan routine (as @QCity said so well) was interesting. He “couldn’t catch a break” and would whine about it. It made for a good read. Now his view is irrelevant. He doesn’t have the one thing that made him famous in the 1st place.

He has done a great job as a producer. He has developed some programming that people care about. Simmons deserves a lot of credit for creating interesting sports documentaries. 

In terms of his football knowledge, it is basically nil. There are VERY few Patriots fans that know the game. They did not grow up with it. They were always Red Sox fans killing time in the off-season. In Boston, football was always a distant, distant, distant 4th. That has changed some since Brady got there. Simmons did not grow up with the game like we all did. Sunday’s did not matter to them like they did to us. That’s not an insult; it is reality. That’s where a lot of our disdain for Pats fans comes from. They didn’t deserve the last 20 years. We deserve that. Other fan bases would be WAY easier to tolerate having that kind of success (like the Chiefs for example). Those people care so much more about their team (both good and bad) than Pats fans. They were always the least-passionate fan base in the league. Simmons knows basically nothing about the game except that Brady is good and his team won a lot. He didn’t suffer with Millen, Grogan and Eason. They just didn’t care then. 

I just don’t care, at all, what he thinks about football. I don’t respect his knowledge or appreciation for the game. He knows the NBA but is such a whiny homer that he loses perspective on reality. His opinion there doesn’t matter there anymore either. The Red Sox are garbage so no one cares what he has to say about baseball. When they were interesting, he had an audience. Simmons is a “used-to-be” figure in the sports world. He’s a younger Mad Dog. His schtick is tired and opinions meaningless. I, for one, and glad that he doesn’t have the platform that he once did.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Bill Simmons ushered in an era of “boisterous fans with an audience.” Guys like Kyle Brandt (despite his family connections) wouldn’t exist without Simmons. He mattered 20 years ago. The tortured fan routine (as @QCity said so well) was interesting. He “couldn’t catch a break” and would whine about it. It made for a good read. Now his view is irrelevant. He doesn’t have the one thing that made him famous in the 1st place.

He has done a great job as a producer. He has developed some programming that people care about. Simmons deserves a lot of credit for creating interesting sports documentaries. 

In terms of his football knowledge, it is basically nil. There are VERY few Patriots fans that know the game. They did not grow up with it. They were always Red Sox fans killing time in the off-season. In Boston, football was always a distant, distant, distant 4th. That has changed some since Brady got there. Simmons did not grow up with the game like we all did. Sunday’s did not matter to them like they did to us. That’s not an insult; it is reality. That’s where a lot of our disdain for Pats fans comes from. They didn’t deserve the last 20 years. We deserve that. Other fan bases would be WAY easier to tolerate having that kind of success (like the Chiefs for example). Those people care so much more about their team (both good and bad) than Pats fans. They were always the least-passionate fan base in the league. Simmons knows basically nothing about the game except that Brady is good and his team won a lot. He didn’t suffer with Millen, Grogan and Eason. They just didn’t care then. 

I just don’t care, at all, what he thinks about football. I don’t respect his knowledge or appreciation for the game. He knows the NBA but is such a whiny homer that he loses perspective on reality. His opinion there doesn’t matter there anymore either. The Red Sox are garbage so no one cares what he has to say about baseball. When they were interesting, he had an audience. Simmons is a “used-to-be” figure in the sports world. He’s a younger Mad Dog. His schtick is tired and opinions meaningless. I, for one, and glad that he doesn’t have the platform that he once did.

Thanks for the detailed comments (really).  

Yes he is the everyday Football fan.  Watches all the games on Sunday (and like me not a big college fan) with an inherent knowledge but far from an expert.  Obviously you are a football junky, while I watch every sport and am an expert on none😉.  The Big Book of Basketball is great and how he got on and rose in ESPN is very interesting.  Look I'm a fan and even now am listening to his podcast.

He talks football as I like to listen to it (a lot of talk about offense, little talk about defense, unless great players and domination, no talk about breaking down play after play.....) and yes laugh when he is wrong and losing his bets.

And as a Beantown homer, very happy little Red Sox talk this year and a .500 NE Patriots will mean more talk about other teams.  

I will always laugh at his homerism after the "Hurricane Game" last year and how as a "Fan" he went on about how Belichek "broke" the Bills and that they may not recover and that the Pats were back.  Pure 100% Fanatic.  He then came up with scenarios in the playoffs as to how the Pats could beat the Bills in Buffalo and then had to go on his podcasts with his tail between his legs. 

That is what a fan is..... 

Edited by Billsfan1972

15 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Eh, you had me until the last sentence.  No part of me “misses losing,” but I do kind of miss the pre-Stephen A. Smith/Disney+ days, when you could find Simmons on ESPN Page 2 discussing blackjack beatdowns and other mis-adventures that as a 20-something I could totally relate to.  It’s all gone corporate, loud and sterile now.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.