Happy retirement, Roger Federer

Fan in Chicago

He is my all-time favorite. A real class act. We followed him around at the tournament in Miami for a while. He had a flock of little kids following him around and they were all laughing while he messed up their floppy hair. He’s got a little Josh in him, he’s impossible not to like. 

It’s amazing that Federer, Nadal and Djokovic all have 20-22 Major titles. Serena Williams is as dominant as I’ve ever seen in tennis, and she “only” has 23 Majors. Good luck to any guy outside the Big Three trying to steal a Major. These guys have owned the tour for a LONG time! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Augie said:

It’s amazing that Federer, Nadal and Djokovic all have 20-22 Major titles. Serena Williams is as dominant as I’ve ever seen in tennis, and she “only” has 23 Majors. Good luck to any guy outside the Big Three trying to steal a Major. These guys have owned the tour for a LONG time! 

The past 17 years have been the longest and most intensely competitive periods I have witnessed in the 40 years of following this sport. Federer started it. I personally rooted for Nadal over him but they made for a fantastic rivalry. 

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I was/am more of a Rafa-n and for awhile in the mid-00s, really didn’t like Roger because he seemed very smug at times to me, a show-off, and perhaps because he won too much(?) when before Rafa & Djokovic came along, any competition wasn’t there.

But I’ve come to really respect his game, how much he brought to the sport, appreciating his humor, and his interaction with the kids and other players.

Some of the things that changed my perception was 1) being stopped by the security guard at the Wimby players’ entrance because he didn’t have his ID badge and he patiently waited for his coach(?), who was carrying it rather than making a situation. I mean, he was a 7-time winner of that tourney and was the most recognizable face on tour and an A-lost sports star and worth hundreds of millions in sponsorships alone but he just calmly stood there. 2) Telling off Djokovich’s team box when they just wouldn’t shut up. Their jeering was one of the reasons people didn’t / don’t like Novak. 3) Seems like a good family man.

I don't follow tennis, but it seems like the sport is constantly dominated by a single "Roger Federer" who no can beat for the 8 or 10 years the guy in his prime, and everyone says "he's the greatest ever" but then the next one comes along and raises the bar that much more.

When I was in undergrad the guy was Pete Sampras.

Now that Federer is gone, I assume Rafael Nadal is the new top dog.  Or is he getting old now too?

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I don't follow tennis, but it seems like the sport is constantly dominated by a single "Roger Federer" who no can beat for the 8 or 10 years the guy in his prime, and everyone says "he's the greatest ever" but then the next one comes along and raises the bar that much more.

Now that Federer is gone, I assume Rafael Nadal is the new top dog.  Or is he getting old now too?

It’s really been an interesting run with Federer retiring with 20 Grand Slam titles. Djokovic has 21 and Nadal 22. That is 3 guys competing largely against each other for Majors for a LONG time. Rafa is 36 now, and Djokovic is 35, so they are not that far behind Roger in age. Rafa has struggled with some injuries this season, so his grinding style may be beginning to wear him down.

I think Rafa is genuinely a good guy (like Roger) and Djokovic has learned to pretend to be one. It will be interesting to see who emerges from “the next generation”.

Sampras was my favorite back in his day. His pinpoint serving when he really needed a point was amazing to watch. That guy could hit the exact spot he was looking for at the T or out wide, making a return virtually impossible. I also enjoyed seeing more serve and volley in the game then, especially on grass. 

On 9/17/2022 at 6:20 AM, UConn James said:

I was/am more of a Rafa-n and for awhile in the mid-00s, really didn’t like Roger because he seemed very smug at times to me, a show-off, and perhaps because he won too much(?) when before Rafa & Djokovic came along, any competition wasn’t there.

But I’ve come to really respect his game, how much he brought to the sport, appreciating his humor, and his interaction with the kids and other players.

Some of the things that changed my perception was 1) being stopped by the security guard at the Wimby players’ entrance because he didn’t have his ID badge and he patiently waited for his coach(?), who was carrying it rather than making a situation. I mean, he was a 7-time winner of that tourney and was the most recognizable face on tour and an A-lost sports star and worth hundreds of millions in sponsorships alone but he just calmly stood there. 2) Telling off Djokovich’s team box when they just wouldn’t shut up. Their jeering was one of the reasons people didn’t / don’t like Novak. 3) Seems like a good family man.

In terms of pure racquet skill and footwork the only player I’ve seen in 40+ years that can arguable be considered a similar pure talent is McEnroe. Rafa and Djokovic are also tremendous players and amongst the best of this generation as well, but their strengths are different. I never tire of watching Fed play due to his unique combination of artistry, movement, finesse, power and pure shotmaking ability. When he was at his best, he brought the game to another level and it took guys with amazing mental strength, backboard like consistency, and Gumby-like movement to be able to beat him.

On 9/17/2022 at 9:30 AM, Nextmanup said:

Every generation seems to have one or two superior talents, that is true. You’d have to go back to the 60s when there were four Aussies who were similarly dominant over the field as Rafa, Fed, and Novak.

Rafa is now 36 and has very bad knees, but the fact that he is still in the top 3 and a threat to win every tournament he enters, along with Novak, speaks volumes.

This new kid Alcaraz who just won the Us Open might be the next Fed as far as changing the game. We will see.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.