Josh's Competitive Fire

The Gravytrain

Obviously, Josh's competitive drive is what separates him from most other QBs and players in the league for that matter. That desire to win at no cost is the great intangible that teams can't defend against. As Josh even states, he'll do anything for his team to keep a drive going, score or win. Hurdle players, truck players or even drag a pile. 

If, as Josh says, he'll do anything to help the team win. Shouldn't that be running the ball less to help the team down the road? Obviously he does his team no good on the sidelines. There's 16 games left and if he keeps running the way he does, he's putting his team at risk.

So the big question, if Josh really wants to stick to his approach and really help the team, shouldn't he be running much less to help his team in the long run. I say this as a lifelong fan going back to the Ferguson days. Like a lot us, I've seen the dark days and am always worried something bad is going to happen. 

It's a bit of a conundrum, and ultimately Josh is going to do what he's going to do, but wouldn't really be helping the team by not putting himself at risk? 

Edited by The Gravytrain
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 4
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 2

2 minutes ago, The Gravytrain said:

Obviously, Josh's competitive drive is what separates him from most other QBs and players in the league for that matter. That desire to win at no cost is the great intangible that teams can't defend against. As Josh even states, he'll do anything for his team to keep a drive going, score or win. Hurdle players, truck players or even drag a pile. 

If, as Josh says, he'll do anything to help the team win. Shouldn't that be running the ball less to help the team down the road? Obviously he does his team no good on the sidelines. There's 16 games left and if he keeps running the way he does, he's putting his team at risk.

So the big question, if Josh really wants to stick to his approach and really help the team, shouldn't he be running much less to help his team in the long run. I say this as a lifelong fan who's seen all of our dark days and it always worried something bad is going to happen. Sorry, it's been a rough road for for 40+ years. 

It's a bit of a conundrum and ultimately Josh is going to do what he's going to do. But wouldn't really be helping the team by not putting himself at risk? 

In the moment that is a tough decision especially because he is most likely  not thinking but reacting

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I think a lot of his take off decisions are in the moment. I think trying to get him to overthink those moments would take away from who he is.

Beat me to it. Same thought 

If Josh stops running, the offense will be easier to defend, this on top of what GunnerBill said above, this is how Josh plays football, it’s not going away anytime soon. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

I think there’s a lot of overreaction to the first game of the season, in front of the world on Thursday night against the champs.

Josh’s adrenaline was pumping all night and he was a freight train because of it. He’s still going to run, that’s what makes him so lethal, but I expect the type of runs he makes and hits he takes will be minimized compared to what we saw last week.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Rampage said:

I think there’s a lot of overreaction to the first game of the season, in front of the world on Thursday night against the champs.

Josh’s adrenaline was pumping all night and he was a freight train because of it. He’s still going to run, that’s what makes him so lethal, but I expect the type of runs he makes and hits he takes will be minimized compared to what we saw last week.

Yeah, I think Josh sort of wanted to give all of America "the Josh Allen Experience" on the national stage.  I've seen him slide or duck out of bounds plenty over the past couple of years.  The hits he takes are being overblown and the narrative is being pushed by the national media, especially by many folks who have finally begrudgingly given Josh respect only to add the caveat that it won't last due to his style of play.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Gravytrain said:

So the big question, if Josh really wants to stick to his approach and really help the team, shouldn't he be running much less to help his team in the long run. I say this as a lifelong fan going back to the Ferguson days. Like a lot us, I've seen the dark days and am always worried something bad is going to happen. 

It's a bit of a conundrum, and ultimately Josh is going to do what he's going to do, but wouldn't really be helping the team by not putting himself at risk? 

"... desire to win at no cost ..."?

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.