Brandon Beane Consults with Bill Parcells?

JohnNord

Here’s an interesting tidbit that I’ve never heard before.  

Tim Graham recently interviewed former NYC writer Bob Glauber who was close with the old NYG Teams

I was a bit surprised to hear him say that Brandon Beane was a Bill Parcell guy.  Earlier in the interview Glauber spoke about how even into his 80’s Parcells informally consults (for free) with teams because he loves the game.  

He then says that Brandon Beane is one of those GM’s who use Bill Parcells as a sounding board.  

Glauber cites the Parcells influence by stating that the Bills were built in an ”80’s/90’s old school way”. meaning that they started with the QB, built the OL, don’t draft for need etc  and when they were close enough made the big move to trade for star a WR and sign a big time pass rusher.  

According to Glauber, Parcells was friends with Dan Henning in Carolina when Beane was a scout.  They two hit it off and have been in contact since.  

Kind of an interesting story because while we’ve heard the influence of GM’s like Dave Gettleman and Marty Hurney, I have yet to see anyone else connect Parcells to Beane.  Glauber claimed that Parcell’s imprint is on the way the Bills were built.  

Oddly enough Parcells is very close with the Elam family and to no surprise look who Beane’s pick this season was…

you can hear this at 51:00.

Edited by JohnNord
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 13

6 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Tim Graham recently interviewed former NYC writer Bob Glauber who was close with the old NYG Teams

I was a bit surprised to hear him say that Brandon Beane was a Bill Parcell guy.  Earlier in the interview Glauber spoke about how even into his 80’s Parcells informally consults (for free) with teams because he loves the game.  

He then says that Brandon Beane is one of those GM’s who use Bill Parcells as a sounding board.  

Glauber cites the Parcells influence by stating that the Bills were built in an ”80’s/90’s old school way”. meaning that they started with the QB, built the OL, don’t draft for need etc  and when they were close enough made the big move to trade for star a WR and sign a big time pass rusher.  

According to Glauber, Parcells was friends with Dan Henning in Carolina when Beane was a scout.  They two hit it off and have been in contact since.  

Kind of an interesting story because while we’ve heard the influence of GM’s like Dave Gettleman and Marty Hurney, I have yet to see anyone else connect Parcells to Beane.  Glauber claimed that Parcell’s imprint is on the way the Bills were built.  

Oddly enough Parcells is very close with the Elam family and to no surprise look who Beane’s pick this season was…

"Glauber cites the Parcells influence by stating that the Bills were built in an ”80’s/90’s old school way”. meaning that they started with the QB, built the OL, don’t draft for need etc  and when they were close enough made the big move to trade for star a WR and sign a big time pass rusher.  "

What teams don't build this way?

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Gettlenutz was a Giants/Parcells guy.   And John Fox.  That's how Henning ended up there.   Beane was never a scout and had very little personnel experience prior to getting hired by the Bills.  He might have scouted coffee shops.   A director of football ops is a guy who makes sure all kind of organizational details get taken care of.    His last couple years in Carolina he got to dabble in talent evaluation.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

"Glauber cites the Parcells influence by stating that the Bills were built in an ”80’s/90’s old school way”. meaning that they started with the QB, built the OL, don’t draft for need etc  and when they were close enough made the big move to trade for star a WR and sign a big time pass rusher.  "

The Bills from circa 1997-2017? 🤷

• Like (+1) 14
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, Breakout Squad said:

Lol you're right. I meant good teams.

Team building is easy. 

QB - passrusher - WR - OL- CB

Get top tier talent at as many of those positions as possible.

????

Superbowl

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Breakout Squad said:

LMFAO!  Outstanding post! 

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

Very interesting; nice write up.  Thanks!

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Lol you're right. I meant good teams.

Team building is easy. 

????

Superbowl

The bills didn't go qb first though, they traded Mahomes for White and then traded a bunch of players for assets, and used those to trade up for Allen the next year. 

I know Beane joined after the draft,  and you would have a point that the team didn't actually start rebuilding until Beane joined. 

To me there is a huge component in looking for and exploiting value.  Allen's lack of coaching, being incredibly smart, being off the charts dedicated and showing he could throw with touch in the Senior bowl after a week of nfl coaching... this really wasn't that difficult of a choice if you had the information and valued the right things.

I don't have a point I don't think, or maybe I do. I haven't slept more than three hours in a night since Friday night, I'm up again and I'm losing my mind a bit 🙃 

• Haha (+1) 5

I met Bill Parcells one training camp for the patriots I had a friend at work for Raytheon down in Cape Cod and used to take me to patriots training camp a couple times a year one particular year a slim down Bill Parcells the fans were calling him the eel Stop by to talk to season-ticket holders and I talk to him for a bit and extremely intelligent person who knew how to relate to players

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, FireChans said:

6 hours ago, FireChans said:

Team building is easy. 

????

Superbowl

You're on a roll... 

To the OP, thanks for posting this,

Edited by Sierra Foothills
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I met Bill Parcells one training camp for the patriots I had a friend at work for Raytheon down in Cape Cod and used to take me to patriots training camp a couple times a year one particular year a slim down Bill Parcells the fans were calling him the eel Stop by to talk to season-ticket holders and I talk to him for a bit and extremely intelligent person who knew how to relate to players

Like referring to Terry Glenn as ‘she’?

• Haha (+1) 3

8 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

The bills didn't go qb first though, they traded Mahomes for White and then traded a bunch of players for assets, and used those to trade up for Allen the next year. 

I know Beane joined after the draft,  and you would have a point that the team didn't actually start rebuilding until Beane joined. 

To me there is a huge component in looking for and exploiting value.  Allen's lack of coaching, being incredibly smart, being off the charts dedicated and showing he could throw with touch in the Senior bowl after a week of nfl coaching... this really wasn't that difficult of a choice if you had the information and valued the right things.

I don't have a point I don't think, or maybe I do. I haven't slept more than three hours in a night since Friday night, I'm up again and I'm losing my mind a bit 🙃 

So if you want to look at some teams that have tried, and had varying degrees of success team building, they all kind of do the same thing. It will never be exactly the same, because teams are never the same.

Chicago got Mitch, then went after Allen Robinson and Khalil Mack.

The Chargers don't need to make a splash for WR like the Bills did after 2019.  Because they have Keenan Allen and Mike Williams. But they did make a splash for a pass rusher.

Oakland went out and got Adams and Jones.

The Cowboys had Demarcus Lawrence and went out and got Amari.  Then they got CeeDee and Micah Parsons.

I am of the belief that your goal as a GM is acquire blue chips at QB/pass rusher/WR/CB and no horrible deficiencies anywhere else and you've done a good enough job to win a Super Bowl.  And most GM's feel the same way, which is why those positions are the 4 highest paid and have the highest trade or draft value.

10 hours ago, FireChans said:

We see teams draft for need, and make rediculous FA signings... So I would say a significant amount don't stay true to the discipline

8 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

He drafts best player available and if that happens to be a need, he will trade up for the player. Just like he did with Elam

Yeah no.  Certainly in the second round he drafts for need.  Arguably in other rounds as well, but he's willing to move around the board if he can so that his perceived need more closely aligns with value.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

He drafts best player available and if that happens to be a need, he will trade up for the player. Just like he did with Elam

Do you find it curious that in 2020 and 2021 our biggest need was pass rusher and we drafted 3 DE’s in the top 3 rounds?

Or that in 2022 our biggest need was CB and we got one in the first? 

Or that our weakest offensive skill position has been RB and we have drafted 3 of them in the top 3 rounds over the last 4 years?

2 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

So easy that 31 highly knowledgeable GMs fail every year

The strategy is easy. Executing it is not.

31 GMs HAVE to fail every year. Everyone can’t win the Super Bowl lol

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.