Ryan “Rick” Bates

Brand J

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

Its hard to believe the nine rating, I’m pretty certain he would have been pulled if he was that bad, Pff is really not so credible a good deal of the time.

Don't totally disagree. But Bates was pretty bad in pass protection, particularly in that 1st half.

• Like (+1) 1

Never read anything into the PFF scores. 

I'm not saying Dawkins should have gotten a perfect 100, I get they're basically doing Olympic scoring where tiny mistakes ding the score. But zero pressures and you don't even him an 80? Idk, doesn't add up.

Edited by elroy16
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

11 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I’m not endorsing PFF. I post things I run across from different sites. Some people appreciate the info and some don’t. People are free to read it or not read it.

1. Aaron Donald gonna make a lot of interior offensive linemen get bad grades. There’s no “strength of opponent” grading curve. 
2. PFF is pretty good with large samples.  And as I’ve pointed out, I think it’s telling that every O line change Beane made in the off-season was to a guy with a better PFF overall score last year. So it pretty much agreed with what real pro scouting staff see. One game at a time? Well, take it with a boulder of salt. But they grade on “who won the matchup” on each and every passing/running play. So if Donald beats Bates, but Allen has already gotten rid of the ball or rolled outside to avoid the rush, well, that still grades as “Donald beat Bates.” Of course in a real game it’s not so simple as A guy like Bates/Morse often has help, and defensive line stunts make it hard to score a man to man matchup that doesn’t really exist, so that’s why it’s pretty silly on a game to game basis. 

• Like (+1) 1

From Joe B's All-22 grading:

A tough day for Ryan Bates

Despite the loss of Miller this offseason, the Rams still have an incredibly talented and well-schemed defensive line to isolate an opponent’s perceived offensive line mismatch. It usually involves Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald, and in this case, they targeted Bills right guard Ryan Bates. The Rams successfully isolated Donald with Bates quite a few times, and the results were unkind to the Bills’ most inexperienced starting offensive lineman. Especially in pass blocking, Bates allowed multiple pressures to Donald, where the defender caught Bates with his head down to get a quick win. And there were even examples of completed passes where Josh Allen had to get the ball out quickly because of how fast Donald was winning some of those battles. Allen’s high-level quarterbacking helped nullify Donald past the first half, and there is no doubt Donald would have been more of a factor had Allen hung on to the ball longer. This was the first time we’ve seen Bates struggle as a starter, so it may be due to him working against one of the best defensive tackles in NFL history.

https://theathletic.com/3591734/2022/09/14/bills-all-22-review-rams/

14 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Wow, a 9 for pass blocking? I mean, there were a few times when Josh held the ball longer, but Bates wasn’t a tire fire. A 9 would suggest he had an outing like Colin Brown, but I didn’t think he was that much of a liability. 

The 9 on pass blocking seems too low.   He cannot block Donald 1 on 1, no one can do that consistently.  The plan was to give Bates help, slide right and force Donald inside and then either Moss or Singletary was there to chip him and slow him down.  Josh was going with a planned quick release and it really worked.   

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

Hopefully the OL will get more consistent as the season progresses. Need them to stay healthy. Thought they played well and minimized Donald. Need to do the same this week against Simmons.

With the way the roster is built, have to think OG/C will be addressed in the next draft.

Interior OL is arguably the Bills biggest weakness going forward, but if Bates continues to progress as a player, then that only leaves Saffold to replace and he’s not a bum. Bates gives us more stability at guard than Cody Ford ever did (at least so far).
It’s great not to have any glaring roster weaknesses.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.