Ryan “Rick” Bates

Brand J

29 minutes ago, FireChans said:

He got beat a bunch.  It didn't matter because Josh got it out fast.  Good gameplanning to neutralize AD.  Rick won't play him again.

We could play them again in the SB  early next year,  They are still the best team in a very weak NFC.  They are still IMHO better than Tampa Bay and Green Bay.

The way this game played out is why I care a lot less about OL than most of this board as long as Allen is here. A weak OL is the easiest weakness to hide when you have a smart QB with mobility and a quick passing scheme. Donald had his way with Bates the whole game and it didn't matter. Last year it took us 3/4 of the season before we stopped banging our heads against the wall with long developing pass plays and as soon as we transitioned away from that our offense blew up. I expect our offense to look like that all year long.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

He definitely got it handed to him a few times early on, but the scheme was drawn up to neutralize the pass rush, now doubt about it.  Good scheme, good execution, hopefully it’s more of the same this year, the guys all gel together a bit more and he looks great again.

Bates  is a good player I’ve been telling that to people for years and I’m glad that he got to show it last year he’s not a star offensive guard he’s not going to pro bowls he is a consistent solid do everything guard with decent movement skills Who can play multiple positions

But when you figure just how bad offensive line play is in the NFL bates does pretty damn well

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

Don’t sleep on the Eagles - this year’s Bengals.

Yea I think the Eagles are decent. They are a bit Titan like in that they are not the conventional 2022 NFL offense. That makes them awkward to play against, but I'm not sure how far it will take them. I can see a 2019 Titans like run to the Championship game and then a loss. 

In fairness it again needs to be mentioned that Bates is playing right guard this year after playing predominantly on the left side last year.

Also we're judging his play in week 1 versus a very tough assignment.

Isn't it actually likely that Bates' play will improve?

I would think it would.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Fwiw, PFF gave The following pass blocking grades:

Dawkins 78.3

Morse.    64.4

Saffold. 62.4

Brown.    59

Bates.      9

And the following run blocking grades:

Bates.      70.4

Morse.      65

Dawkins    64

Brown       61.3

Saffold.     53.8

I can't believe Saffold's run blocking grade was so low! He's widely regarded as an elite run blocker. He did get hurt, but I believe he came back. Perhaps it affected his play. Bates and Brown have a lot of work ahead of them, but Brown is a physical freak. I think that's the real reason he's in ahead of DQ. They just want to feed him snaps until the game slows down for him. He isn't very good now, but the potential to be great is there. I'm not sure where Bates' ceiling might be.

Edited by GreggTX

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The way this game played out is why I care a lot less about OL than most of this board as long as Allen is here. A weak OL is the easiest weakness to hide when you have a smart QB with mobility and a quick passing scheme. Donald had his way with Bates the whole game and it didn't matter. Last year it took us 3/4 of the season before we stopped banging our heads against the wall with long developing pass plays and as soon as we transitioned away from that our offense blew up. I expect our offense to look like that all year long.

Disagree most strongly. Bad OL is the fastest way to get beat after bad QB play. We saw it last season, we saw it up and down the league in week 1. The Bills OL played decent on Thursday. Bates had a poor game, especially first half, but the Bills were good around him - Morse and the tackles especially. Yes, you can go to a quick passing game. We did that at times last year but you have to have the ability to drop back when the down and distance calls for it. The Jags game last year was a classic example. They ran some quick game, they ran something like 12 screens that game too, but there still comes a point when you have to drop back and throw the ball down the field and as soon as that point came the Bills were sunk. 

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

I can't believe Saffold's run blocking grade was so low! He's widely regarded as an elite run blocker. He did get hurt, but I believe he came back. Perhaps it affected his play. Bates and Brown have a lot of work ahead of them, but Brown is a physical freak. I think that's the real reason he's in ahead of DQ. They just want to feed him snaps until the game slows down for him. He isn't very good now, but the potential to be great is there. I'm not sure where Bates' ceiling might be.

Brown had a good game. That grade is lower than I'd have graded him personally. Thought it was one of his best pass blocking outings as a Bill. Bates, yea... I think he struggled. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I know. It is PFF, but still…

Its hard to believe the nine rating, I’m pretty certain he would have been pulled if he was that bad, Pff is really not so credible a good deal of the time.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.