Ryan “Rick” Bates

Brand J

Anyone have feedback regarding his play going against arguably the most disruptive DT in the history of the game? I thought he had a pretty good outing. In the highlight package the NFL put together, I zeroed in on him and noticed he was singled up with Donald quite a bit and #99 didn’t embarrass him. Bates held his own for the most part.
He was beaten cleanly for a sack, overpowered on that play, and had a couple other miscues where it looked like he didn’t know who to block, but all in all “not bad” for a player who used to ride the bench up until the final stretch last year.
I have high hopes for him going forward, the entire OL gave Josh plenty of time throughout the contest, not that it mattered when Josh was getting the ball out in under 3 seconds.

Kudos to Kromer.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Fwiw, PFF gave The following pass blocking grades:

Dawkins 78.3

Morse.    64.4

Saffold. 62.4

Brown.    59

Bates.      9

And the following run blocking grades:

Bates.      70.4

Morse.      65

Dawkins    64

Brown       61.3

Saffold.     53.8

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

Dawkins 78.3

Morse.    64.4

Scaffold. 62.4

Brown.    59

Bates.      9

Bates.      70.4

Morse.      65

Dawkins    64

Brown       61.3

Saffold.     53.8

Wow, a 9 for pass blocking? I mean, there were a few times when Josh held the ball longer, but Bates wasn’t a tire fire. A 9 would suggest he had an outing like Colin Brown, but I didn’t think he was that much of a liability. 

• Agree 11

3 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Dawkins 78.3

Morse.    64.4

Saffold. 62.4

Brown.    59

Bates.      9

Bates.      70.4

Morse.      65

Dawkins    64

Brown       61.3

Saffold.     53.8

9 lol

• Agree 1

Just now, JayBaller10 said:

Wow, a 9 for pass blocking? I mean, there were a few times when Josh held the ball longer, but Bates wasn’t a tire fire. A 9 would suggest he had an outing like Colin Brown, but I didn’t think he was that much of a liability. 

I know. It is PFF, but still…

7 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I almost did as good from my couch if that really was his grade. PFF is trash though 😁

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, vincec said:

If Allen gets the ball out in 2.7 seconds on a regular basis then the OL is going to look good all year long.

You might still have to give credit to Bates regardless.
we have seen much much worse.
Kromer aint bad either i read here. :)

• Agree 3

He was abysmal in pass pro during the 1st quarter especially, but then seemed to improve as the game went on. As OP stated much of his rough play was against Donald so I'm not worried about him too much.

One thing I wonder is how much difference there is between left and right guard. Last year he was exclusively on the left, but with Saffold on board he is now on the opposite side

Edited by buffblue
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

42 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

He got beat a bunch.  It didn't matter because Josh got it out fast.  Good gameplanning to neutralize AD.  Rick won't play him again.

• Agree 2

48 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Yah, if he really deserved a "9" grade, Josh woulda had to have gotten the ball out in 0.7 seconds, not 2.7 seconds.

PFF is pretty good for some things, and pretty sketchy for stuff like OL blocking where they really don't know for sure who had what assignment.

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Yah, if he really deserved a "9" grade, Josh woulda had to have gotten the ball out in 0.7 seconds, not 2.7 seconds.

PFF is pretty good for some things, and pretty sketchy for stuff like OL blocking where they really don't know for sure who had what assignment.

How could somebody who watched Brady for 20 years beat the Bills not understand that rapid passing eliminates basically every pass rusher regardless?

9 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

No, that's exactly it: it's PFF. That means it's absolute crap and can suck it.

I’m not endorsing PFF. I post things I run across from different sites. Some people appreciate the info and some don’t. People are free to read it or not read it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Captain_Quint said:

He struggled most of the game, but that may be his toughest assignment this year. He has a strong work ethic and should be able to rebound just fine.

He's an undersized guy so pulling Donald in 95 degree weather in the opener is rough. 

All game?  I disagree.  Rough first half but he played well after that. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.