I love JA17's response to the no-punts stat on Kyle Brandt's podcast

JÂy RÛßeÒ

58 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Further perspective:

• A puntless game by an NFL team happens about once every 50 games or 2% of the time.
  • The Bills have not punted in 3 of their last 5 regular season games (60%) and 4 of their last 6 games including playoffs (67%).

This of the first time since the 30s a team has only punted in 1 regular season game of the last 4.

Add in a few amazing playoffs games and it's an amazing stretch that maybe extended another week or two. 

7 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

Not sure about your Math here
Over what time span do you derive this 2% thing 1stly ?
and NFL had how many games this week ?

My math says
Go Bills !

I made it up.

Actually I read it somewhere... I've tried to find where but in the meantime here's a link documenting 32 occurrences in the last 4+ seasons:

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/least-amount-of-punts-in-a-nfl-game

edit: According to the above link the game on 11/23/17 was week 12 which means that there have been 32 no punt games in the last (approximately) 672 games. That calculates to about 4.76% of the time.

Good enough?

Edited by Sierra Foothills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Why quibble?  It’s rare bottom line.  3 of 4 or 4 of 6 is impressive however you slice it.  They do it again against the Titans (which is possible) and it will be a national talking point on every show.  Then it will be punt watch each week.

I didn’t see Kyle Brandts comments if anyone has the link. 

12 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Further perspective:

• A puntless game by an NFL team happens about once every 50 games or 2% of the time.
  • The Bills have not punted in 3 of their last 5 regular season games (60%) and 4 of their last 6 games including playoffs (67%).

Analytics say we don’t need a punter.

15 hours ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Kyle asked him about this: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/09/13/bills-have-not-punted-in-three-of-their-last-four-games-unprecedented-in-nfl-history/

Without a beat, JA basically said "Yeah, but we had four turnovers this week which is worse than punting"

Dude gets it.

Speaking of the 4 turnovers I expect the Bills to be a lot more careful with the ball this week. The offense finally has a game under their belt as they really didn't play in the preseason.

Edited by Greg S

8 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/least-amount-of-punts-in-a-nfl-game

edit: According to the above link the game on 11/23/17 was week 12 which means that there have been 32 no punt games in the last (approximately) 672 games. That calculates to about 4.76% of the time.

Good enough?

A 16-week schedule equates to 256 games per year.  A 17-week schedule has 272 games per year.  That's regular season only.

There has to be a lot more than 672 games played since November of 2017.

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

A 16-week schedule equates to 256 games per year.  A 17-week schedule has 272 games per year.  That's regular season only.

There has to be a lot more than 672 games played since November of 2017.

Well rather than sharpshoot my spoon feeding attempts, just do the math brother.

I drove the ***** ball down the field, put it in the end zone.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Well rather than sharpshoot my spoon feeding attempts, just do the math brother.

I drove the ***** ball down the field, put it in the end zone.

OK.  I stick the fork in.  

From Week #12 in 2017 until end of Week #1 in 2022, I get 1,136 games.

That comes to a 2.8% occurrence rate.

But there are 2 teams playing each game so the % would be halved for any "team" having a no-punt game.

That's a 1.4% chance.  Now the odds of the same team having say 3 of the last 4 games played with no punts has to be really high.

I used to know the formula basics for that, I'll try to figure it out.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

OK.  I stick the fork in.  

From Week #12 in 2017 until end of Week #1 in 2022, I get 1,136 games.

That comes to a 2.8% occurrence rate.

But there are 2 teams playing each game so the % would be halved for any "team" having a no-punt game.

That's a 1.4% chance.  Now the odds of the same team having say 3 of the last 4 games played with no punts has to be really high.

I used to know the formula basics for that, I'll try to figure it out.

Thanks for finishing the drive.  👍

Upthread I mentioned that based on something I had read, the occurrence of one team not punting occurs about 2% of the time.

That number and the number you calculated are pretty close so yes, going puntless in 3 of the last 5 (and 4 of the last 6 when including the playoffs) is an amazing accomplishment for the Bills.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Thanks for finishing the drive.  👍

Upthread I mentioned that based on something I had read, the occurrence of one team not punting occurs about 2% of the time.

That number and the number you calculated are pretty close so yes, going puntless in 3 of the last 5 (and 4 of the last 6 when including the playoffs) is an amazing accomplishment for the Bills.

Exceptionally rare.

I know how to figure it happening two times in a row.  1.8% comes to a 1/56 odds.

For 2 times in a row, you multiply the odds.  1/56 x 1/56 = 1/3,136.

What I can't remember is how to do "this happens 3 out of 4 times" calculations.

I must have killed those brain cells year ago.  Probably during the drought!

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.