Colts cut kicker after missing OT game winner and 2 KO out-of-bounds

JÂy RÛßeÒ

15 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Not really.  There was a split in the media. Some like Kiper & Schein loved him.  Some like the ones we've posted before hated him.  In the NFL front offices, there was a lot of support for Josh Allen.  The Bills traded up because they had to or they would lose him to another team.  

No player in the top 10 in the draft is considered most likely to bust by the real experts, the NFL GMs & scouts.  Sure there were some analytic stat boys living in their moms' basements who had access to internet sites who wrote anti-Josh articles, and of course the WGR clowns who weren't happy, but to compare their thoughts about the 7th overall pick in the NFL draft to opinions on an undrafted kicker is ridiculous.  

Kiper had liked a lot of QBs over the years who ended up being busts in the NFL and in the age of the internet, he's passe.  And no one listens to Schein.   They both got it right but is that more of a "broken clock" thing?

He was widely criticized and the Bills were widely panned for taking him, much less so high, after trading away picks.  After his success, everyone is coming out of the woodwork saying "well, we kind of knew he'd be good."

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Kiper had liked a lot of QBs over the years who ended up being busts in the NFL and in the age of the internet, he's passe.  And no one listens to Schein.   They both got it right but is that more of a "broken clock" thing?

He was widely criticized and the Bills were widely panned for taking him, much less so high, after trading away picks.  After his success, everyone is coming out of the woodwork saying "well, we kind of knew he'd be good."

Just because you don't think much of Kiper or Schein doesn't make you right. Your opinion is baseless. They wouldn't be employed if you were right.  Now go back to reading clowns on the internet who live in their moms basements, because to you they're the relevant ones.   

I stand by my statement that the real experts. NFL scouts & GMs didn't consider him most likely to bust.  

4 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Just because you don't think much of Kiper or Schein doesn't make you right. Your opinion is baseless. They wouldn't be employed if you were right.  Now go back to reading clowns on the internet who live in their moms basements, because to you they're the relevant ones.   

I stand by my statement that the real experts. NFL scouts & GMs didn't consider him most likely to bust. 

And so is yours. 

5 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Just saying he screwed up in the big game and didn't get fired and he cuts a good kicker?

It's arguable whether Blankenship is a good kicker (anymore).  And the easier remedy would have been finding a new holder.

1 hour ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Clocks ticking on Frank. Irsay may not give him till the end of the season if things don't change.

I like Reich obv and he's regarded as a great oc.... thst said, vouching for Wentz, and allowing that team to blow week 18 against jags for playoff birth is hard to forgive.

If he survived that, I think he gets some time to fix the ship.

1 hour ago, Process said:

Good. I would have won my fantasy matchup if he makes that kick. 

Inexcusable.

I always win in my fantasies…, 

😂

38 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Kickers are like that. Nothing says he's done though, plenty of guys have gotten another shot after getting the yips and stuck around.

So true. I was thinking to myself during that pit/cin game... although they had major LS issues and the misses weren't on holder or him... wonder if he ends up with some mental yips as a result.

Have seen kickers fall to pieces over less.

Whether Frank survives depends on them making the playoffs.  Anything less than playoffs and he's gone, being that it will be 2 straight non-playoff seasons and 3 out of 5 years.  Especially if he was instrumental in convincing them to go with Ryan (after the Wentz debacle).

43 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

It actually started with Troy Aikman in the NFL draft and then Bradshaw later in the week.  Both of them said that Accuracy is something that cannot be taught or overcome and that his college accuracy was terrible. 

KIper's point was that Josh threw only 20-25 times in a game in college, whereas most of the star QBs in college threw the ball 35-40 times...His point was that the accuracy margin is too small for Josh's statistics.  He believed Josh had that ability to go for the jugular like a Randy Johnson in baseball. And Josh is doing exactly that !!!!

27 minutes ago, ganesh said:

It actually started with Troy Aikman in the NFL draft and then Bradshaw later in the week.  Both of them said that Accuracy is something that cannot be taught or overcome and that his college accuracy was terrible. 

KIper's point was that Josh threw only 20-25 times in a game in college, whereas most of the star QBs in college threw the ball 35-40 times...His point was that the accuracy margin is too small for Josh's statistics.  He believed Josh had that ability to go for the jugular like a Randy Johnson in baseball. And Josh is doing exactly that !!!!

Allen said that he changed his entire throwing motion once he got to the NFL to help improve his accuracy and consistency. So, it sounds like even he recognized that he had an issue coming out of college but was able to fix it. So, basically Aikman and Bradshaw are completely wrong.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Doc said:

And so is yours. 

Mine is based on the fact that both are employed by major sports networks. Schein  by both CBS sports and SiriusXM.  Kiper by ESPN.  They get high enough ratings to stay employed while you think that just because you don't agree with them they're irrelevant.  That an opinion with no basis other than your feelings, which makes it a baseless, ridiculous opinion.  Mine is based on the fact they each have enough of a following to stay on  the air, internet, and employed. 

36 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Mine is based on the fact that both are employed by major sports networks. Schein  by both CBS sports and SiriusXM.  Kiper by ESPN.  They get high enough ratings to stay employed while you think that just because you don't agree with them they're irrelevant.  That an opinion with no basis other than your feelings, which makes it a baseless, ridiculous opinion.  Mine is based on the fact they each have enough of a following to stay on  the air, internet, and employed. 

I love Kiper and Schein.  But even they will tell you that the draft is a crap shoot and in private would tell you that they probably wouldn't bet their life on one of their "locks" being a good pick.  And that's the great thing about being a "draftnik" (which Kiper invented and why he still is around): total lack of accountability.  They're personalities.  If these guys could truly pick players, they'd take the next step and become GMs like Mayock did (and we saw how that turned out). 

The fact is that Josh was one of the most polarizing players with the majority of people thinking he'd fail.  I was one of them but am ecstatic to have been wrong about that because it was just my prediction.

Anyway I don't know what got your panties in a twist or made you think that your opinion couldn't be challenged so untwist and/or get over yourself.  It's a discussion and we're rooting for the same team and especially Josh.

Edited by Doc

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.