Two Ex Bills (Hughes & Howard) Were the Stars of the Texans Tie with the Colts

RoyBatty is alive

Jerry with another 2 sacks- 4 in 3 games- 1 int- 1 ff.  He’s still a beast and criminally underrated by many on this board.  His last several years in Buffalo, he was the only pass rush threat the opposing QBs had to worry about and keep an eye on.  So they did…..and many of his would be sacks weren’t sacks because the opposing QBs were only paying attention to him in the pass rush. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Jerry with another 2 sacks- 4 in 3 games- 1 int- 1 ff.  He’s still a beast and criminally underrated by many on this board.  His last several years in Buffalo, he was the only pass rush threat the opposing QBs had to worry about and keep an eye on.  So they did…..and many of his would be sacks weren’t sacks because the opposing QBs were only paying attention to him in the pass rush. 

We simply couldn’t afford Jerry. Didn’t make sense after signing Von. While I wish he had that Linda production here…I’m happy for em and hope he has the best statistical season of his career this year.

20 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Let's have a moment of clarity off of a bad loss.

Jerry Hughes was a trade steal. A real steal, we won that trade 10/10. I like Jerry Hughes a lot as a fan, but he was never a guy who could elevate a DL on his own. He is an exceptional role player on a good unit.

Also real, once Jerry called out the refs (and he had a solid point) he never got a call for holding against since. He could have been decapitated rushing the passer and not gotten a call again. If his head was cut off by a LT like a chicken, and his spasmodic corpse would have hit a QB he would have been hit with a 'roughing the passer' penalty. Decapitated and all.

Neither he or Addison could close on the pass rush by 2021. They created hurries etc, but those don't amount to anything against the best QBs in the league. Kyler Murray was 'hurried' on the Hail Murray. Jerry Hughes was never going to get a call in his favor, ever, in a Bills uniform.

He and Addison could not close anymore, and the refs were not going to rule in his favor. Now that Jerry is in 'NFL Siberia' he is getting to play again. The Bills should have traded him earlier for more value.

We should be looking at Rousseau, who has 3.5 sacks in 3 games. The Bills should have gone the 'Rousseau' path earlier. I am convinced Rousseau and Miller/ Basham make 20+ sacks throughout the season. I think Rousseau gets 10-12 alone. Hughes and Addison could not get 10 between them.

I don't hate Jerry, but he ran his course here. His stats the past few years were Chris Kelsay like, no one loves Chris Kelsay.

Chis Kelsay 2009-2012 = 46 games, 15.5 sacks, 18 TFL, 28 QB hits, 4 FF, 1 safety

Jerry Hughes 2018-2021 = 63 games, 18sacks, 24 TFL, 37 QB hits, 7 FF, 0 safety

Kelsay missed 12 games in his last season. If you do a per game breakdown, Jerry Hughes = Chris Kelsay the last 4 years.

I'll take my chances with Rousseau.

Happy Jerry is getting some much needed love in Houston. He is a solid pro.

57 minutes ago, StHustle said:

We simply couldn’t afford Jerry. Didn’t make sense after signing Von. While I wish he had that Linda production here…I’m happy for em and hope he has the best statistical season of his career this year.

Who said anything about keeping him.  I realize why he’s not here.  If he would’ve taken the minimum, he would’ve been a bill.  He wanted his 5M gtd.  

A productive pass rusher for 4-5M a year is a great deal.  I’d rather we had cut Shaq and Matakavich.  We could’ve used him yesterday while Basham, Shaq and epenesa were invisible 

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Let's have a moment of clarity off of a bad loss.

Jerry Hughes was a trade steal. A real steal, we won that trade 10/10. I like Jerry Hughes a lot as a fan, but he was never a guy who could elevate a DL on his own. He is an exceptional role player on a good unit.

Also real, once Jerry called out the refs (and he had a solid point) he never got a call for holding against since. He could have been decapitated rushing the passer and not gotten a call again. If his head was cut off by a LT like a chicken, and his spasmodic corpse would have hit a QB he would have been hit with a 'roughing the passer' penalty. Decapitated and all.

Neither he or Addison could close on the pass rush by 2021. They created hurries etc, but those don't amount to anything against the best QBs in the league. Kyler Murray was 'hurried' on the Hail Murray. Jerry Hughes was never going to get a call in his favor, ever, in a Bills uniform.

He and Addison could not close anymore, and the refs were not going to rule in his favor. Now that Jerry is in 'NFL Siberia' he is getting to play again. The Bills should have traded him earlier for more value.

We should be looking at Rousseau, who has 3.5 sacks in 3 games. The Bills should have gone the 'Rousseau' path earlier. I am convinced Rousseau and Miller/ Basham make 20+ sacks throughout the season. I think Rousseau gets 10-12 alone. Hughes and Addison could not get 10 between them.

I don't hate Jerry, but he ran his course here. His stats the past few years were Chris Kelsay like, no one loves Chris Kelsay.

Chis Kelsay 2009-2012 = 46 games, 15.5 sacks, 18 TFL, 28 QB hits, 4 FF, 1 safety

Jerry Hughes 2018-2021 = 63 games, 18sacks, 24 TFL, 37 QB hits, 7 FF, 0 safety

Kelsay missed 12 games in his last season. If you do a per game breakdown, Jerry Hughes = Chris Kelsay the last 4 years.

I'll take my chances with Rousseau.

Happy Jerry is getting some much needed love in Houston. He is a solid pro.

Why not show Jerry’s pass run win rate vs Kelsey’s.  How about hurries and pressure?

Only showing the stats that Kelsey can compare to Hughes makes you the exact poster I was referencing.  You just don’t understand.  No offense, I have respect for you, but this is a poor take.  Comparing him to Kelsey is idiotic.  Watch the games….. Jerry is far superior in every aspect of the game, yet you use stats and act like they are similar. They are not.  

rousseau is great.  He has 3.5 sacks.  Jerry has 4…..while playing with no one good along the line.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Why not show Jerry’s pass run win rate vs Kelsey’s.  How about hurries and pressure?

Only showing the stats that Kelsey can compare to Hughes makes you the exact poster I was referencing.  You just don’t understand.  No offense, I have respect for you, but this is a poor take.  Comparing him to Kelsey is idiotic.  Watch the games….. Jerry is far superior in every aspect of the game, yet you use stats and act like they are similar. They are not.  

rousseau is great.  He has 3.5 sacks.  Jerry has 4…..while playing with no one good along the line.  

Hey New Era, I feel the same about you. You make good posts, personal attacks would be silly.

The simple fact is that Jerry was not winning in any way, shape or form over replacement value for the Bills the past couple of years. The DE (Hughes and Addison) got plenty of rushes and hits, but none of them effected any games. I know it hurts to hear that. Please show me any stats, any, that show Jerry was a (+) DE the last 3 or so seasons. He wasn't, not in Buffalo. Addison was the better DE, and no one misses Addison.

I'm happy for Hughes in Houston. He is getting a new start there. He is playing well. Jerry Hughes is no longer Super Bowl caliber unless he is DE 4 or worse. The Bills made the right choice going young and with Von Miller.

17 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Hey New Era, I feel the same about you. You make good posts, personal attacks would be silly.

The simple fact is that Jerry was not winning in any way, shape or form over replacement value for the Bills the past couple of years. The DE (Hughes and Addison) got plenty of rushes and hits, but none of them effected any games. I know it hurts to hear that. Please show me any stats, any, that show Jerry was a (+) DE the last 3 or so seasons. He wasn't, not in Buffalo. Addison was the better DE, and no one misses Addison.

I'm happy for Hughes in Houston. He is getting a new start there. He is playing well. Jerry Hughes is no longer Super Bowl caliber unless he is DE 4 or worse. The Bills made the right choice going young and with Von Miller.

Sorry bro…. But you don’t know what winning is.  His pass rush win rate EVERY SEASON says the exact opposite of what you’re saying.  He was much better at rushing the passer than all of his replacements.  What are you even talking about?   Every stat except sacks say so….

you look at one stat….and it isn’t the only stat that matters.  

Just now, NewEra said:

Sorry bro…. But you don’t know what winning is.  His pass rush win rate EVERY SEASON says the exact opposite of what you’re saying.  He was much better at rushing the passer than all of his replacements.  What are you even talking about?   Every stat except sacks say so….

you look at one stat….and it isn’t the only stat that matters.  

I would be happy to have you prove me wrong. What do you mean by 'pass rush win rate'? Where do I find that? What does it mean?

I know Jerry had 18 actual sacks over 4 seasons a a Bill. 4-5 sacks a season. Those are facts. Hughes and Addison both had problems taking QBs down.

Hughes had an issue with the referees that used to be obvious. Again, I like Hughes, but he is not a game changer on this team.

6 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

I would be happy to have you prove me wrong. What do you mean by 'pass rush win rate'? Where do I find that? What does it mean?

I know Jerry had 18 actual sacks over 4 seasons a a Bill. 4-5 sacks a season. Those are facts. Hughes and Addison both had problems taking QBs down.

Hughes had an issue with the referees that used to be obvious. Again, I like Hughes, but he is not a game changer on this team.

2020 https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29939464/2020-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings?platform=amp

Past 3 years.  

He beats his man more than most DE’s.

Edited by NewEra

33 minutes ago, Adamb412 said:

This might sound stupid but with the amount of injuries we have would the Texans trade Hughes back to us if they are out for like a 5th rounder.

Why? We have zero injuries at Defensive End. And why would we want to remove him from a starting position when he wouldn't start over Von Miller or Greg Rousseau? It's way past time for people to let go of Jerry Hughes.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

3 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Why? We have zero injuries at Defensive End. And why would we want to remove him from a starting position when he wouldn't start over Von Miller or Greg Rousseau? It's way past time for people to let go of Jerry Hughes.

Because we’re trying to win a super bowl.  Upgrading pass rusher should always be a priority.  

Shaq is meh, cut him.  Jerry would be a huge upgrade over everyone not named Miller or Rousseau

• Eyeroll 1

• 1 month later...

Primetime Thursday night game Vs maybe the best OL in the league.  2 more sacks for Jerry-  7 on the season.

1 sack behind Parsons.  1.5 sack behind Bosa.  1 more sack than Von Miller.  

Yeah…..he’s toast alright.  Boogie Basham and Aj are better.  🤣  Suuuure. 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Primetime Thursday night game Vs maybe the best OL in the league.  2 more sacks for Jerry-  7 on the season.

1 sack behind Parsons.  1.5 sack behind Bosa.  1 more sack than Von Miller.  

Yeah…..he’s toast alright.  Boogie Basham and Aj are better.  🤣  Suuuure. 

Jerry is still a good player and would’ve probably looked great rushing opposite Von, but he wasn’t coming back to this team as a backup. It was time for the youth to step up.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.