Two Ex Bills (Hughes & Howard) Were the Stars of the Texans Tie with the Colts

RoyBatty is alive

3 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Jerry Hughes and OJ Howard, neither was going to stick with the Bills this year so they ended up as  Texans and turned into stars in their first regular game.

Jerry Hughes has been on fire through pre-season and he carried it on in the first game.  He got two sacks and stripped the ball out on one knocking the Colts out of field position.  He also got an interception returning it 14 yards and another tackle for a loss.  Too bad the Texans didn't win and are a low profile team or a lot of people would be talking about his performance.  IMO he was always a very good Bill and happy for him to close out his career so well and at home.

OJ Howard was picked up by the Texans and he scored both of their TDs.   One of his TDs there was a defensive mix up and he was effectively uncovered.   There are a lot of Frank Reich fans here as am I but any talk about him being a great head coach wasn't evident last Sunday.  I dont think the Colts were prepared for the game and Reich was outcoached by Lovie Smith.

Our castoffs are making other teams better and any fear of the COLTS with Reich and Matt Ryan  from a Bills standpoint was greatly alleviated. 

I saw Marquese Goodwin on the Seahawks last night...listed as wr4

3 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

and any fear of the COLTS with Reich and Matt Ryan  from a Bills standpoint was greatly alleviated. 

Let’s pump the brakes  a little with your last point…I don’t “fear” them exactly but it’s way early to be writing them off..

I put a lot more stock in the thumping the Colts gave us last year than their performance in this Week 1 game ( which wasn’t a loss) ..

The Bills will probably put in a bad performance at some stage this year against one of the bottom feeders as well ( like they did last year..)

Edited by Aussie Joe

3 hours ago, StHustle said:

sarcasm I hope

He's brought in throwaways at QB 4 of the last 4 seasons.  

Can you imagine if McBeane offered Bills fans, year after year,  the pu pu platter of Brissett, Rivers, Wentz and now Ryan?  lol, come on--there isn't even any sarcasm that works for this.

2 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Wait, so the Bills paid him over 3 million and then dumped him because they were worried he would play well and then leave after this season?   😂

No, they paid him 3 mil to be TE2 and he was flat beat out by Morris so then it's down to keeping him for TE3 or keeping Sweeney (who will play for a hot meal and some free tshirts for years to come). He's better than Sweeney but not worth keeping at that point

6 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

No, they paid him 3 mil to be TE2 and he was flat beat out by Morris so then it's down to keeping him for TE3 or keeping Sweeney (who will play for a hot meal and some free tshirts for years to come). He's better than Sweeney but not worth keeping at that point

Thought they could have kept Sweeney on the PS where you wouldn’t have even had to pay him the T Shirts ..

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

They still lost though.

Hughes may have made a rare impact play but I'm confident he won't do much over the course of the rest of the year there unless it's just garbage time stuff against other teams backups when they are down 3+ scores.

But the OJ Howard thing is a bit puzzling because he certainly did not look like a guy who has a lost a step which is what some speculating was the main reason the Bills moved on and ate his contract.

They cut him because of the fascination with useless players like Sweeney who only really contribute on ST and still a big problem with this regime in terms of their overall roster building methodology. Bottom line I think not keeping Howard will prove to be a big mistake later.

LOLOLOLOL.  This is the trolliest of troll posts ever.  “Big problem” with “roster building methodology.”

I really hope you’re a troll and not that ridiculously out of touch.  😂🤣

4 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Jerry Hughes and OJ Howard, neither was going to stick with the Bills this year so they ended up as  Texans and turned into stars in their first regular game.

Jerry Hughes has been on fire through pre-season and he carried it on in the first game.  He got two sacks and stripped the ball out on one knocking the Colts out of field position.  He also got an interception returning it 14 yards and another tackle for a loss.  Too bad the Texans didn't win and are a low profile team or a lot of people would be talking about his performance.  IMO he was always a very good Bill and happy for him to close out his career so well and at home.

OJ Howard was picked up by the Texans and he scored both of their TDs.   One of his TDs there was a defensive mix up and he was effectively uncovered.   There are a lot of Frank Reich fans here as am I but any talk about him being a great head coach wasn't evident last Sunday.  I dont think the Colts were prepared for the game and Reich was outcoached by Lovie Smith.

Our castoffs are making other teams better and any fear of the COLTS with Reich and Matt Ryan  from a Bills standpoint was greatly alleviated. 

Re Howard, Darius Leonard was out for the Colts— that could have had something to do with it. He is their best player on defense by a mile.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

His step may be slower than in his prime but it’s still better than most.  I watched every Texan defensive snap this morning-  he had a helluva game Vs a great OL

I guess money is more important than a ring for Jerry. I guess he didn't know how to save. 

6 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

They still lost though.

They tied. 

Hughes may have made a rare impact play but I'm confident he won't do much over the course of the rest of the year there unless it's just garbage time stuff against other teams backups when they are down 3+ scores.

That's nice. 

But the OJ Howard thing is a bit puzzling because he certainly did not look like a guy who has a lost a step which is what some speculating was the main reason the Bills moved on and ate his contract.

He looked like a guy who has lost a step

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Re Howard, Darius Leonard was out for the Colts— that could have had something to do with it. He is their best player on defense by a mile.

I think that Gus Bradley was probably a bad choice for Reich to replace Matt Eberflus as DC.

Eberflus D's always looked well coached and well prepared.  They went hard.

Can't say I thought the same about the Colt's D last night.

As for Frank Reich, I gotta say much of his tenure, he's been given Moose Turd Pie at QB.  Rivers was aging but legit.   The hope was that Reich could revive Wentz, but I think the CPR failed.  An aging Matty Ice is not much improvement on Wentz unless you give him a great OL, and the Colts OL just did not look good.

They still woulda won if their kicker didn't crap the bed.

2 hours ago, eball said:

LOLOLOLOL.  This is the trolliest of troll posts ever.  “Big problem” with “roster building methodology.”

I really hope you’re a troll and not that ridiculously out of touch.  😂🤣

He's a Miami / NE fan whichever is currently fashionable.

Edited by Beck Water

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Can you imagine if McBeane offered Bills fans, year after year,  the pu pu platter of Brissett, Rivers, Wentz and now Ryan?  lol, come on--there isn't even any sarcasm that works for this.

I wouldn't care about that if they were trying to get a a young QB as well.

It's like the Whaley method.  Drafted EJ, then just bring in bums over and over and over.  Colts should've taken some shots.

33 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I think that Gus Bradley was probably a bad choice for Reich to replace Matt Eberflus as DC.

Eberflus D's always looked well coached and well prepared.  They went hard.

Can't say I thought the same about the Colt's D last night.

Agree re Eberflus. That’s why I thought it was super smart for the bears to hire him. Think he was an outstanding coach for the Colts.

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Beane offered up Nathan Peterman

, Derek Anderson, and AJ McCarron. Rivers got them to the playoffs. Maybe Reich is not that good of a coach.  Has he really proven anything?

Agree that Ryan is a wasted season. He has always been overrated and had Julio Jones and Tony Gonzalez to throw to for a significant portion his career. I think they would have been better off just keeping Wentz or if they really wanted someone new trading for Garoppolo.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I always liked Jerry but he was maddening to watch - especially last season.  

I could never figure out Jerry over his last few seasons in Buffalo.  He regularly found a way to get pressure but he rarely brought the QB down.  I can’t explain why.  Either the QB would throw it right before he got there or he’d miss a tackle.  His pressure rate was excellent but his sacks were extremely low - he had 2 sacks all of last season!  

Hate to say this but in the playoffs against KC he was very close to sacking Mahomes on the final completion.  That kind of summed up Hughes in Buffalo his last few years.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.