JA17 Angry Runs Winner

BillsFanNC

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

The point is that both Cam and Big Ben were almost certainly worn down and physically effected by the cumulative effect of the pummelling they took. Cam much more so, but both of them really. 

We can't pretend that it was only hits that cause immediate serious injury that matter. It is very much not.

Oh, and while Ben was never a smooth quick runner, he was much more mobile at the beginning of his career than the end.

He was damn near the size of a guard by the end of his career.

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Ok - even if you want to consider him mobile or not - did those hits cause him to have a shorter career and more injuries?  That is the crux of the argument.

Big Ben was cited as a player impacted by all of the hits, but the reality is he played 17 seasons - a very respectable number for a QB and  his biggest injury came in the pocket throwing a ball - when an elbow tendon popped - not an injury attributed to the hits over the years as it is seen by baseball pitchers all the time from repetition.  

Matt Stafford has a similar though less severe injury from non-contact throwing.

Would you consider Rodgers a scrambling QB? Both times he broke his collarbone it was behind the LOS, IIRC. Both we’re tremendous at scrambling and buying time behind the LOS. Both got injured behind the LOS. Occasionally elivering blows in the manner of a RB or FB isn’t what kills these guys. It’s usually getting nailed while trying to deliver a pass from an awkward body position/platform. 

That said, there are rules now which didn’t exist when Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben, and Cam started their careers. The body weight rule was in response to the Rodgers hit by Barr. The Brady injury resulted in the rule about going low on QBs. Cam petitioned the league about how refs treated him. All of these things changed how the game is played and officiated. 

At the end of the day I’d prefer to see JA17 slide unless it’s a critical play, but there’s a lot more protection now than there used to be. The hits are different than they were 10-15 years ago. The NFL doesn’t want their money making faces injured and has legislated that out of the game as much as possible. 

Edited by Buffalo Junction

Unpopular opinion, I am over the Kyle Brandt schtick. It is over played and he does all the time for every team and player, even when stuff isn't all that exciting. I don't think he is wrong, and I like the weekly angry run award. But the whole thing is just so forced at this point.

Even if it were a toss up this week between Josh and somebody else, they'd likely pick Josh anyways with the kick off for Brandt's basement and Josh becoming a Tuesday regular. 

The whole thing is a poor mans PMT or Pat Mcafee/Aaron Rodgers mixed with way too much WWF promo theatrics. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

Unpopular opinion, I am over the Kyle Brandt schtick. It is over played and he does all the time for every team and player, even when stuff isn't all that exciting. I don't think he is wrong, and I like the weekly angry run award. But the whole thing is just so forced at this point.

Even if it were a toss up this week between Josh and somebody else, they'd likely pick Josh anyways with the kick off for Brandt's basement and Josh becoming a Tuesday regular. 

The whole thing is a poor mans PFT or Pat Mcafee/Aaron Rodgers mixed with way too much WWF promo theatrics. 

Kyle Brandt is just trying to get in on the "unserious football bro" gimmick.  Problem is that he isn't a former player like McAfee so it comes across as super phony.

McAfee hams it up but I think that's his true personality x 100.  Brandt is a total faker.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

The point is that both Cam and Big Ben were almost certainly worn down and physically effected by the cumulative effect of the pummelling they took. Cam much more so, but both of them really. 

We can't pretend that it was only hits that cause immediate serious injury that matter. It is very much not.

Oh, and while Ben was never a smooth quick runner, he was much more mobile at the beginning of his career than the end.

He couldn’t dodge that parked car on his bike though…😂😂

on I don’t know it was parked but still…

1 hour ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Would you consider Rodgers a scrambling QB? Both times he broke his collarbone it was behind the LOS, IIRC. Both we’re tremendous at scrambling and buying time behind the LOS. Both got injured behind the LOS. Occasionally elivering blows in the manner of a RB or FB isn’t what kills these guys. It’s usually getting nailed while trying to deliver a pass from an awkward body position/platform. 

That said, there are rules now which didn’t exist when Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben, and Cam started their careers. The body weight rule was in response to the Rodgers hit by Barr. The Brady injury resulted in the rule about going low on QBs. Cam petitioned the league about how refs treated him. All of these things changed how the game is played and officiated. 

At the end of the day I’d prefer to see JA17 slide unless it’s a critical play, but there’s a lot more protection now than there used to be. The hits are different than they were 10-15 years ago. The NFL doesn’t want their money making faces injured and has legislated that out of the game as much as possible. 

So it sounds like you agree with me - although I am confused because you disagreed with my previous post and sound like you are arguing here with the same point I am making.

It has not been the hits the QB takes running downfield that shortened the careers - the hits that Ben took were mostly behind the LOS in passing attempts, Rodgers injuries while throwing, Cam’s shoulder injuries while throwing - to me those are the more worrisome injuries.

There have been guys that scrambled and ran their entire long career - like Steve Young, Fran Tarkenton, Archie Manning.

Of course hits matter because any one could take a player out for a year, but many more QBs experience severe injury while behind the LOS taking a hit - than out in the open field.  I am less afraid of Josh getting a serious injury running than I am of a play like in LV or like Rodgers took - where he takes the hit after awkwardly completing a pass and lands on a shoulder and breaks something that way.

I also have a bit of a fear with him sliding as unless he gets down early - as a big bodied guy - it will be very easy for a defender to target his head when Josh slides because it is still so far off the ground.  

41 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

So it sounds like you agree with me - although I am confused because you disagreed with my previous post and sound like you are arguing here with the same point I am making.

It has not been the hits the QB takes running downfield that shortened the careers - the hits that Ben took were mostly behind the LOS in passing attempts, Rodgers injuries while throwing, Cam’s shoulder injuries while throwing - to me those are the more worrisome injuries.

There have been guys that scrambled and ran their entire long career - like Steve Young, Fran Tarkenton, Archie Manning.

Of course hits matter because any one could take a player out for a year, but many more QBs experience severe injury while behind the LOS taking a hit - than out in the open field.  I am less afraid of Josh getting a serious injury running than I am of a play like in LV or like Rodgers took - where he takes the hit after awkwardly completing a pass and lands on a shoulder and breaks something that way.

I also have a bit of a fear with him sliding as unless he gets down early - as a big bodied guy - it will be very easy for a defender to target his head when Josh slides because it is still so far off the ground.  

I thought you were saying that it was the in the pocket hits that did more damage than the hits while scrambling? I was saying that it’s not the running/scrambling that gets them injured, but being in a compromised position when hit regardless of where they are on the field. That usually occurs behind the LOS because they’re passing, but whether they’re inside the pocket (Cam) or outside of the pocket (Rodgers), or down the field (Garcia) doesn’t matter much. Basically I was trying to broaden the scope from “in the pocket” to behind the LOS. Half of Steve Young’s injuries were outside of the pocket but scrambling to make a pass; most notably the Sapp & Nickerson KO blow. However, the rules now certainly make many of these injuries less likely.  A helmet to helmet hit on a defenseless QB who was just horse collared would probably result in a ejection/suspension now. 

5 hours ago, FireChans said:

Kyle Brandt is just trying to get in on the "unserious football bro" gimmick.  Problem is that he isn't a former player like McAfee so it comes across as super phony.

McAfee hams it up but I think that's his true personality x 100.  Brandt is a total faker.

I know he never played in the NFL, but Kyle was 3 year starter at RB at Princeton. 

What was really cool they talked about on WGR is Von’s reaction to that ear holing stiff arm.  Something to the effect of Did he just do what I thought I saw”. One of the veterans replied, “Yeah that’s Josh”.  This is a 1st ballot HOFer easily that shocked by QB’s run with aggression.

JA17 is BUFFALO!  I’ve tried to describe that persona of how lunch pail Buffalo is whether you’re white collar, executive, whatever, all of us had a grandfather who worked at the Mill, Steel Plant, or some other Grain Elevator, and is passed down to each generation.  I know I’ve done my best to instill this into my sons.

7 hours ago, Mango said:

The whole thing is a poor mans PMT or Pat Mcafee/Aaron Rodgers mixed with way too much WWF promo theatrics. 

he certainly has appeared to dial up his hype man schtick even more.

As far as the run goes, I’d prefer JA lay that stiff arm on with his non-throwing hand, but that’s just a small quibble. Let Josh be Josh.

45 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

What was really cool they talked about on WGR is Von’s reaction to that ear holing stiff arm.  Something to the effect of Did he just do what I thought I saw”. One of the veterans replied, “Yeah that’s Josh”.  This is a 1st ballot HOFer easily that shocked by QB’s run with aggression.

JA17 is BUFFALO!  I’ve tried to describe that persona of how lunch pail Buffalo is whether you’re white collar, executive, whatever, all of us had a grandfather who worked at the Mill, Steel Plant, or some other Grain Elevator, and is passed down to each generation.  I know I’ve done my best to instill this into my sons.

Miller's reaction on the sidelines was a look of disbelief and he said "What the f***?!?!" Sitting next to Edmunds...Edmunds turned to him and said "We told you don't blink!"

The exchange is captured in the Von Miller Mic'd up video 

8 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

It was almost an inside joke that you could hit Cam whenever you wanted and you wouldn't draw a flag. He used to get hit late after throws that would have drawn flags for virtually anyone else and nothing...IMHO, that is what hurt him more than his running. He took way more sacks than Allen and way more hits than Allen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

21 hours ago, Mango said:

I guess these things sell well in the media.  Otherwise, they are not doing it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.