Christian Benford CBS Radio 9/12

stevewin

21 hours ago, Logic said:

Yeah, it's a weird thing.

Assuming White comes back and plays well, you're looking at two of Dane Jackson, Kaiir Elam, and Christian Benford spending a bunch of time on the bench.

The Bills predominantly play nickel, and I don't think they're taking Taron Johnson off the field any time soon. Jackson, Elam, and Benford are all boundary corners, any way.

The good news, I suppose, is that they can ease White back in if they want by spelling him with the youngsters. I wonder if they'll do a little bit more rolling waves of substitutions in the defensive backfield than they've done in the past, similar to (but less than) how much they rotate the D-line. You don't often think of corner as being a position that gets subbed out the way a defensive lineman does in a McDermott defense does, but hell...if a limited snap count can help Von Miller remain fresh for the fourth quarter, why couldn't it do the same for a guy like Tre White?

None of them are particularly good, they are just all we have.  At best, Jackson is basically a slightly better Levi Wallace and the rookies are trying to get to Levi Wallace level at the moment.  The super soft scheme and the insane pass rush last game did cover them up, but let’s not pretend we are having to choose which Pro Bowler to take off the field.  I like what McDermott gets out of DBs, but let’s get real here.  This is 100% the scheme making the players look good.

12 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

None of them are particularly good, they are just all we have.  At best, Jackson is basically a slightly better Levi Wallace and the rookies are trying to get to Levi Wallace level at the moment.  The super soft scheme and the insane pass rush last game did cover them up, but let’s not pretend we are having to choose which Pro Bowler to take off the field.  I like what McDermott gets out of DBs, but let’s get real here.  This is 100% the scheme making the players look good.

...and?  How many other teams use scheme to hide deficiencies, especially in their secondaries?

40 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Nobody is pretending we are. Every scheme requires players to do their job, and all 3 did their job very effectively. Simple as.

Edited by gobills404

22 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Nobody is pretending we are. Every scheme requires players to do their job, and all 3 did their job very effectively. Simple as.

My point was in regards to the post I quoted, where he questions if they should be rotated like the DL.  The answer is obviously no.  Jackson and White are clearly the best players by a wide margin, you shouldn’t take them off the field unless they need a rest.   The DL rotation has largely been because there was nobody clearly better than another in the past.  They were all mediocre, so they might as well be fresh.  Watch what happens this year when the game is on the line, Von isn’t going to be subbing out constantly.  Assuming Oliver turns the corner, neither will he.  These rotations are the same thing that Parcells said, “ if you have 2 QBs, you don’t have one”, if you have 6 DEs, you don’t have one either.  With Von in the mix, hopefully Groot emerges, maybe they can rotate Boogie and Oliver a little, but the real players will be on the field.  White and Jackson will be on the field until Benford/Elam can take Jackson’s job and I’d bet Benford will be the first off the bench for a while, he’s the better player at this moment.

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

My point was in regards to the post I quoted, where he questions if they should be rotated like the DL.  The answer is obviously no.  Jackson and White are clearly the best players by a wide margin, you shouldn’t take them off the field unless they need a rest.   The DL rotation has largely been because there was nobody clearly better than another in the past.  They were all mediocre, so they might as well be fresh.  Watch what happens this year when the game is on the line, Von isn’t going to be subbing out constantly.  Assuming Oliver turns the corner, neither will he.  These rotations are the same thing that Parcells said, “ if you have 2 QBs, you don’t have one”, if you have 6 DEs, you don’t have one either.  With Von in the mix, hopefully Groot emerges, maybe they can rotate Boogie and Oliver a little, but the real players will be on the field.  White and Jackson will be on the field until Benford/Elam can take Jackson’s job and I’d bet Benford will be the first off the bench for a while, he’s the better player at this moment.

Agree with everything you said other than the wide margin.. between White and the rest is the wide margin but it’s razor thin between Jackson and the rookies and I love the competition 

3 hours ago, julian said:

Agree with everything you said other than the wide margin.. between White and the rest is the wide margin but it’s razor thin between Jackson and the rookies and I love the competition 

Fair enough, I think there’s a pretty solid gap between Jackson and the rookies.. probably the effects of time in the system more than anything.  That said, it’s an opinion and we all have one, so we know what that’s worth 😂

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.