stevewin

https://omny.fm/shows/the-jim-rome-show/9-12-2022-christian-benford

Highligts

- Found out would start night before game

- Hyde/Poyer a blessing - teach so much

- Felt did good first start, could clean up some technique things

- Great defensive scheme - close to how we played at Villanova - great fit

- Feels Nova underappreciated on football side, not just a basketball school

- Bros with Elam - know its a business, never take it personal, there for each other

- Bills Mafia awesome

- Josh Allen is a dog

Think Christian either needs a nap or just woke up from one 😛 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Story of the young year so far.

Hard not to root for a 6th round pick beating on a 1st rounder from a top program.

This team might have a very good problem once White is back in terms of who sees snaps on the other side.

Yeah, it's a weird thing.

Assuming White comes back and plays well, you're looking at two of Dane Jackson, Kaiir Elam, and Christian Benford spending a bunch of time on the bench.

The Bills predominantly play nickel, and I don't think they're taking Taron Johnson off the field any time soon. Jackson, Elam, and Benford are all boundary corners, any way.

The good news, I suppose, is that they can ease White back in if they want by spelling him with the youngsters. I wonder if they'll do a little bit more rolling waves of substitutions in the defensive backfield than they've done in the past, similar to (but less than) how much they rotate the D-line. You don't often think of corner as being a position that gets subbed out the way a defensive lineman does in a McDermott defense does, but hell...if a limited snap count can help Von Miller remain fresh for the fourth quarter, why couldn't it do the same for a guy like Tre White?

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Assuming White comes back and plays well, you're looking at two of Dane Jackson, Kaiir Elam, and Christian Benford spending a bunch of time on the bench.

The Bills predominantly play nickel, and I don't think they're taking Taron Johnson off the field any time soon. Jackson, Elam, and Benford are all boundary corners, any way.

The good news, I suppose, is that they can ease White back in if they want by spelling him with the youngsters. I wonder if they'll do a little bit more rolling waves of substitutions in the defensive backfield than they've done in the past, similar to (but less than) how much they rotate the D-line. You don't often think of corner as being a position that gets subbed out the way a defensive lineman does in a McDermott defense does, but hell...if a limited snap count can help Von Miller remain fresh for the fourth quarter, why couldn't it do the same for a guy like Tre White?

I think Benfords eventual home might be safety.  Not this year, but moving forward 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 7

12 minutes ago, stevewin said:

https://omny.fm/shows/the-jim-rome-show/9-12-2022-christian-benford

Highligts

- Found out would start night before game

- Hyde/Poyer a blessing - teach so much

- Felt did good first start, could clean up some technique things

- Great defensive scheme - close to how we played at Villanova - great fit

- Feels Nova underappreciated on football side, not just a basketball school

- Bros with Elam - know its a business, never take it personal, there for each other

- Bills Mafia awesome

- Josh Allen is a dog

That's his personality.   Very quiet

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

I agree. If Benford, Elam, and Jackson continue to acquit themselves quite well, that position will become a huge strength of the team. Would be incredible to have that depth with 3 of our 4 boundary CBs capable of starting and on rookie deals. 

• Like (+1) 4

42 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I agree, I think Elam keeps learning this system and by years end White and Elam are the two best CB’s.

I think that the coaches see it that way as well, but you can bet that Belford isn’t going to let up his effort for even a second, it will be fun to watch this group progress through the season.

• Agree 2

"V" for Villanova, "V" for Victory!
"B" for Blue and "W" for White
For the Blue and the White we will fight!
Fight! Fight! Fight!

Fight for Villanova, Fight for Victory!
For we're out to win the fray;
Villanova leads the way,
With a capital "V" for Victory.

Vill-a-no-va, V-I-L-L-A-N-O-V-A
"V" for Vic-tor-y, V-I-C-T-O-R-Y
It's a tooth for a tooth and an eye for an eye,
and a "V" for a V-I-C-T-O-R-Y

Fight! Fight! Fight!

For we're out to beat the foe
Show the en-e-my we know
how to win with a "V" for Victory!

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Hard not to root for a 6th round pick beating on a 1st rounder from a top program.

This team might have a very good problem once White is back in terms of who sees snaps on the other side.

There you go!!  Your best post ever!!  👍🏻 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GerstAusGosheim said:

Fight! Fight! Fight!

For we're out to win the fray;
Villanova leads the way,
With a capital "V" for Victory.

Vill-a-no-va, V-I-L-L-A-N-O-V-A
"V" for Vic-tor-y, V-I-C-T-O-R-Y
It's a tooth for a tooth and an eye for an eye,
and a "V" for a V-I-C-T-O-R-Y

Fight! Fight! Fight!

For we're out to beat the foe
Show the en-e-my we know
how to win with a "V" for Victory!

Can you do that as a Haiku?

• Haha (+1) 2

I heard a comment on MNF tonite that Pete Carrol was talking about a late round rookie CB who was starting for them as well, and ol slippery Pete said 'we'd have been happy if he was our first round pick the way he has been playing'.   

I thought of Benford right away.

As much as I am still upset with Frasier and McD for grossly mismanaging the 13 seconds which I'm convinced cost us a superbowl title, it's nice to know those guys have the ability to recognize pure talent and put a late round kid from a small program out there under the bright lights on opening day and starting him ahead of our 1st rounder (although they both played about the same amount, it was still a start vs the superbowl champs)  With the exception of Cody Ford I think our coaches truly don't care when a person was drafted, even if they are a walk on, they just want character, work ethic and results.

Reminds me of almost 20 years ago when we signed a pair of undrafted roommates from Tennessee Jabari Greer and Rashad Baker and they both ended up being solid contributors to a very good defensive backfield for the Bills.

8 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Wouldn’t be the first time that the bills have found these late round guys in they blossomed just like Dane Jackson

Elam you expect him to be good because of his Pedegree and where he was drafted and I still think he’s gonna be there’s gonna come a time when we are going to need play Pressman coverage this year in order to stop a team and Elam is going to shine

Benford he’s just Meat and potatoes

14 hours ago, Logic said:

I think it's impossible to have too many quality CBs over the course of a season, especially one where you have Super Bowl aspirations. The amount of wear and tear is tremendous and if you're telling me that we don't have to rush people back from injury, that is a tremendous boon. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

8 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

I heard a comment on MNF tonite that Pete Carrol was talking about a late round rookie CB who was starting for them as well, and ol slippery Pete said 'we'd have been happy if he was our first round pick the way he has been playing'.   

Tariq Woolen. The 6’4” 205 lb corner who ran a 4.26 at the combine. He was drafted with their 5th round pick.

17 hours ago, stevewin said:

Thanks for the link.  I enjoyed it.

We're really tough on these guys.   Yes, he was quiet and talked slowly.   What do we know about him?

We went to relatively small school, and definitely played on a small stage.   This may have been the first time in his life that he was interviewed at any length for a national audience.   It's extremely unlikely that ever happened to him at Villanova, because he wasn't on the basketball team. 

We also know he's thoughtful, hard-working, and committed to the team.   How do we know that?   Because if that's not true about you, the Bills aren't drafting you.  

So, a smart, hard-working, team guy doing his very first big-time interview is going to be careful.   He's going to think about the question, think about about the right thing to say, and say it carefully.   He maybe went to someone like Hyde and asked him to coach him a little, just to be sure he was ready.   The result of all of that is you hear a guy who sounds like he just woke up and who's trying hard to say the right thing.   He did a good job, even if he could have more juice.  

I've been listening to Von Miller get interviewed.  I'd guess that when he was a rookie, even though he was a highly touted #3 pick, he was pretty quiet and careful.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.