Who are most misleading teams after week 1

Orlando Tim

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Cincy will miss the playoffs. Tennessee will too. Green Bay would if they were in the AFC but might sneak in because the NFC sucks.

Vikings should be in your final group. They are not as good as the Bills or Chiefs but they are as good as they looked Sunday. One of the best teams in the weaker conference.

Cincy is cold garbage and their best player is Trey Hendrickson...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

55 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

Bengals had the benefit of playing in a division with an injury plagued Ravens team, old geezer Steelers QB and dysfunctional Browns team. Wouldn’t surprise me if the Bengals miss the playoffs this year.

Agree 100%, Baltimore was 8-3 I think then Lamar went down and derailed them. The Raiders game in the wild card went down to the very last play in the redzone, Tennessee they faced with a hobbling Derrick Henry and then KC had an offensive meltdown in the second half after dominating them in the first.

The Bungles are going to Bungle their way to 9-8 this year.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Cincy will miss the playoffs. Tennessee will too. Green Bay would if they were in the AFC but might sneak in because the NFC sucks.

Vikings should be in your final group. They are not as good as the Bills or Chiefs but they are as good as they looked Sunday. One of the best teams in the weaker conference.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see GB surpass the Vikings by playoff time, but I think they’ll both make the playoffs. GB’s success is going to depend on Bakhtiari and Jenkins returning to form along with Watson or Doubs developing. They’ve had horrible week 1’s since LaFleur arrived and walked into a buzzsaw. That defense also held the Vikings to 23 points despite the offense being completely inept. However, that first place schedule isn’t gonna do them any favors. 

Edited by Buffalo Junction
  • Disagree 1

6 hours ago, Logic said:

Teams who aren't as good as their week one performance might indicate:

- Miami Dolphins
- Washington Commanders

- Pittsburgh Steelers

- Minnesota Vikings

Teams who are better than their week one performance might indicate:

- Green Bay Packers

- Arizona Cardinals

Teams who are as bad as they looked:

- New England Patriots (stink-o-rama)
- New York Jets (gonna be a loooong year)
- Dallas Cowboys (woof)

Teams who are as good as they looked:

- Kansas City Chiefs

- Buffalo Bills

- Baltimore Ravens

Agree with most of this. I think Vikings are for real.  I would add NY Giants to not as good list. I agree Green Bay will play better. but I think Arizona will have a losing season.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Logic said:

Teams who aren't as good as their week one performance might indicate:

- Miami Dolphins
- Washington Commanders

- Pittsburgh Steelers

- Minnesota Vikings

Teams who are better than their week one performance might indicate:

- Green Bay Packers

- Arizona Cardinals

Teams who are as bad as they looked:

- New England Patriots (stink-o-rama)
- New York Jets (gonna be a loooong year)
- Dallas Cowboys (woof)

Teams who are as good as they looked:

- Kansas City Chiefs

- Buffalo Bills

- Baltimore Ravens

I think this is pretty decent except for the Ravens. They ran for 53 yards against the Jets. I just think they are wildly overrated by a lot of people and their RB and CB injuries will hurt them in that division. They have to run to win. The other team that is awful that won is the Bears. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

I am excited to see How the Bills D lines up against TN.  I expect good things.

The Tennessee O-line lost two starters from last year's team, both among the best run blockers in the league... Rodger Saffold and David Quessenberry

4 hours ago, Buddo said:

Well, defensively, the Rams actually played a lot better than it seems.

Watch Warner's breakdown of all of Allen's 3rd down attempts.

He points out that on many of them, the coverages are pretty good, it's simply that the Allen/Diggs/Davis combos, are working really well, to the extent that peephole windows, are being made to look like bay windows.

Any chance of you linking that? Thanks.

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I'll say the 49ers will be a lot better than they showed. You can barely trust week 1 results in normal conditions, so in a monsoon I'm not sure you can take away anything.

The Quarterback is a concern. With Jimmy G they are better than a team that loses to the Bears. Lance needs a gpod performance sooner or later

7 hours ago, Talley56 said:

Been saying all off season that I don't believe the Bengals were a fluke last year.  Give them a respectable oline that can give Burrow time (not get him sacked 9 times in a game) and I think they are one of the best teams in the league.

And how do you propose that they do that this year. They have the oline that they have and it ain't going to change much.

People rave avout the decision to draft Chase over Sewell last year and there is no doubt that Chase is the real deal but if you can't protect your QB, it doesn't matter how good your receivers are!

4 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

The Tennessee O-line lost two starters from last year's team, both among the best run blockers in the league... Rodger Saffold and David Quessenberry

Any chance of you linking that? Thanks.

Its in a topic on the front page. I am on my phone atm so can’t link it, sorry 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gunvald's Husse said:

And how do you propose that they do that this year. They have the oline that they have and it ain't going to change much.

People rave avout the decision to draft Chase over Sewell last year and there is no doubt that Chase is the real deal but if you can't protect your QB, it doesn't matter how good your receivers are!

Agree totally with this. I love Chase. I loved him at draft time too. But they had a desperate need for protection and they still do. I'd have taken Penei Sewell and while it is hard to knock a decision to draft a guy who is likely the best receiver in the NFL for the next half decade at least... if Joe Burrow keeps getting sacked 70 times per season he will be out of the league before his time. And your elite receiver can't throw to himself. 

Everyone went over the top on their "oline upgrades." They signed one decent (not great, good, above average) guard, a career backup center, and a right tackle another team with offensive line issues was willing to let go. 

Football Outsiders hasn't put together indepth analyses for week one yet. However, they gave some initial thoughts on QB, WR, and RB performances (DYAR) in this article:

Patrick Mahomes Threatens Opening Day Records

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2022/patrick-mahomes-threatens-opening-day-records

Total DYAR:

1. Mahomes 291

2. Hebert     156

5. Allen         110

33. Burrow   -147

As you might imagine, DYAR says that Mahomes was the week's best passer in a variety of categories. That includes throws to receivers at or behind the line of scrimmage (7-of-7 for 67 yards and two touchdowns), down the middle of the field (7-of-7 for 96 yards and a touchdown; every one of those completions picked up enough yards for a first down), and especially in the red zone (10-of-13 for 60 yards and five touchdowns, plus a 9-yard DPI).

Herbert led the NFL in passing DYAR on throws to running backs (8-of-8 for 56 yards and a touchdown) and in the second quarter (10-of-12 for 160 yards and two touchdowns).

Allen was the week's best passer on third/fourth downs, going 7-of-8 for 162 yards. All seven of those completions moved the chains, including 26- and 53-yard touchdowns. That's not even counting what he did as a runner—his nine carries for 57 yards included conversions on both of his third-down runs, including a touchdown.

Burrow spent the bulk of this game in scoring range, trying (but mostly failing) to put points on the board. He had 31 dropbacks inside the Steelers' 40-yard line, going 11-of-28 for 98 yards with two touchdowns, two interceptions, three sacks, and a fumble.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Observations:

The Bengals will be good - anyone here care to comment on how long you felt like ***t after having your appendix taken out?

The Jets D is going to be a problem and Sauce is going to be one of the best CBs in the league by the end of the season.  

Misleading:

The Chiefs and Mahomes.

Whoa whoa whoa.  Of course Mahomes is great.  But this isn't going to last - that O won't do that again.   

First off.....Will Kingsbury make it to the premiere of Hard Knocks mid season?  That team quit on him and Murray in January.  And I'm still not buying the Chiefs are better without Hill.  You kidding me?  That game was more about the colossal waste of money on Murray then the greatness of Mahomes.   

The Chargers are going to wreck KC on Thursday.

I'll get to the above in a moment but first -

Misleading losers

- Green Bay.  They don't play preseason games and it takes them a minute to get going....with so many new targets, it will take even longer than normal for them to warm up.

- Rams.  The Bills won that game more than the Rams lost it....the Rams still have most of the parts from a SB winner and should still be good enough in a weak NFC to contend.

Misleading winners

- Chicago.  They suck.  They got helped by bad weather, and Trey Lance not being ready, plus an injury to Eli Mitchell.  The football Gods gifted the Bears an opening day W on a bad track VS a shaky rookie qB.  Don't expect to see that W next to the Bears much more this season.

- Washington.  I could be wrong, but I am not buying Carson Wentz and the WFT.

Legit Losers/Ties

- Colts.  They should have won the game, but they are NOT the preseason darling many had them as.  Ryans arm is used up and he can't run.  They lack dynmaic pass rushers.  They are going to be fatiqued from grinding out yet another VET QB at the end...demoralizing for the rest of the young roster.   

- Titans.  Henry has regressed EVERY YEAR in YPC, and hes way up there in mileage.  The Titans traded their best weapon, got worse at O line and are operating with a game manager QB who is a proven playoff dud.  ...and they lost harold landry before the season started.  Mike Vrabel is a good coach that can keep a rag tag group together and playing hard, but they just don't have the horses to compete like they've had the last few seasons.

- Cardinals.  I'd love to heap praise on KC for destroying these guys...but there are serious problems in Arizona.  Just htink of what's been made public about the team and QB already...and then think about what's going on behind the scenes....Kingsbury responded to a questions after the game about what the problems were and he specifically said they needed better practices.  That was a shot at Murray, either for not having a good grasp of the playbook OR not leading his teammates to get the most out of practice reps.  Either way...that team has an older roster that lost talent in FA this offseason, and the QB/Coach/GM/Ownership are not happy with each other at all.  It's a recipe for complete disaster even as the team has good pieces..they will be less as a whole than they are individually.

Legit Winners

- Vikings.  They had some unusually wierd bad luck at ends of halves last year that shouldn't repeat, and if you account for that and some other odd stats, the Vikings should be a playoff team that competes for a division title. 

- Chiefs.  See write up below.  

I think the narrative that the national media put out there about KC losing Hill is lazy.  KC also has made serious improvements throught the draft and FA and even having lost Hill, who is unique and very talented game changer....it's a mistake to think that Mahomes, with a line and improved defense, and running game, won't be every bit as dynamic if not more, than he's ever been.  You can make a case this is the best and deepest roster KC has had since Mahomes has been QB....even minus Hill.  I think the Thursday night game VS the Chargers will serve to validate what KC did in week 1 @Arizona.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.