Week 1 Impressions?

Max Fischer

My thoughts on Week 1 --

Bills - Very encouraging start. Four turnovers and Buffalo still dominated the Super Bowl Champs in LA.  ⬆️

Chiefs - Tyreek who? Yes, Cards are beat up and overrated, but Good Gawd they look Super Bowl sharp.   ⬆️  

Chargers - Continue to improve. Herbert looked very good against Raiders and the defense played well. ⬆️

Vikings - How do you stop Justin Jefferson? Defense is good, but Packers offense may be much worse. Eagles next ⬆️

Ravens - Checked the box versus the pathetic Jets. Looked fine overall, we'll know more next week versus Dolphins.  ⬆️

Dolphins - Definitely better, though jury may be out after playing at home against an apparently awful Pats team. We'll see against the Ravens in Baltimore.  ⬆️

Giants - Daboll upset Titans. Jones is still meh to blah, but Daboll got a lot out of a fairly talentless roster (other than Barkley). Carolina, Dallas and Bears next.  ⬆️

Bears - Likely their Super Bowl versus 49ers, and might not win another game, but they deserve the up arrow. ⬆️

Eagles - Decent against Lions but could be a mirage. Will reserve judgment until next week's Vikings game.

Raiders - Adams is a problem, but so is Carr. They have improved overall, lost a close game at LAC, but something about Vegas seems off.  ↔️

Saints - They beat the Falcons, but not in a good way. That defense. Woof. Tampa game will be interesting. ↔️

Tampa Bay - They beat the Cowboys, but not in a good way. Offense looks old and slow.  Saints game will be interesting. ↔️

49ers - Trey wasn't good, but neither was the Chicago weather. No excuses, should have won, but will reserve judgement. ↔️

Colts - Ryan 352 yards, Taylor - 161 yards, dominated all other stats but looked like the lesser team versus Texans. Weird.  ↔️ 

Commanders - They beat the Jaguars. That's about all of the good news.  ↔️

Steelers - Won a strange game versus Cincy, but may as well pull trigger at QB because the defense will have issues if Watt is out for significant time. ↔️

Browns - Needed 58 yarder to beat Panthers. Watson is no doubt a much better QB, but I don't see a tough team. ↔️ 

Texans - They could be in a lot of close games, but might not win any of them.  Credit Lovie for the opportunity to pull off the Colts upset. ↗️

Lions - Like the Texans, Detriot might not win many games, but Dan Campbell seems to be moving the team in the right direction. ↗️

Falcons - Hung tough against Saints. A few talented players but very thin roster. Where was Kyle Pitts?  Rams game could get ugly but that's next week.  ↔️

Panthers - Good comeback vs Browns, and could have won. Not sure what to take from this game. ↔️

Jaguars - Same as above. ↔️

Bengals - Looked like last year's Bills-Steelers opener. Steelers defense came ready and Cincy still in pre-season form. Probably a fluke. ↔️

Rams - Got mauled in the second half. Strange that Super Bowl champs seem to lack an identity. Could get straight versus Falcons and Cards. ⬇️

Titans - Fluke or trend?  Giants are not good but Tennessee couldn't seem to put it together. Play like that against the Bills and it could be over at halftime.  ⬇️

Cowboys - Oh boy, where to start? How about, their QB is out for weeks and it might not matter that much. ⬇️

Packers - Vikings look to be a pretty good team but Holy Hell, the Pack looked terrible. Lucky to have CHI, NE, NYG, NYJ and Washington in next six games. ⬇️

Cardinals - Losing Watt and Hopkins hurt vs Chiefs, but not as bad as the coaching. Good luck with Murray's contract. Raiders and Rams are next.  ⬇️

Patriots - Mac Jones is the best average QB in the league. And now hurt. What is this team?  Are six wins possible?  ⬇️

Jets - Still a very bad team. Flacco threw 59 times against Ravens. His arm might fall off. When will the Jets win?  Next they travel to Browns. 🤡

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I didn't see a defense that can stop the Bills.  

Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers looked tired and uninterested.  

Cardinals, Colts and Cowboys looked completely unprepared.  

Frank Reich would have been fired today if the Colts lost.      

For whatever reason,  Mahomes with Coach Reid just dominate out of the gate every season.  It's like their offense are ahead of the whole league for a few weeks, then the league starts to figure them out and catch up.  I wonder if that will be the same with Buffalo this season.

Can anyone figure out how to cover Kelce?  Anyone?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dpberr said:

Rodgers looked that way in last years opening loss.

cowboys are terrible and I’m sick of hearing about them.

17 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Brady was getting beat up quite a bit in that one which I'm sure is frustrating.

I stayed away from with the colts in survivor pool because i hate division matchups not involving the Jets.  I also avoided the bears with poor weather.  

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

If the greatest defensive mind and coach in NFL history hasn't figured one out and has lost by 29, 29 and 30 points in his last 3 games that don't involve 70+ mph winds, along with 2 games that didn't have the Bills punt an one that was the only perfect offensive game in NFL history, I don't give much of a chance to the other teams in figuring one out.  

There are no good options to defend Allen, only ones that hurt less at the time.

My impression overall - in a league where barely anyone uses the run to set up the pass anymore, teams pass when everyone knows they are passing and where it is all about scoring offensive lines are more determinative than ever. 

Bengals, Rams, Cowboys, Packers, Raiders all have good or great at Quarterback and lost in large part because they couldn't protect their passer. 

The Bengals run to the Superbowl with bottom 5 OL was a one off. You have to be able to protect in this league. 

• Like (+1) 1

I was hoping for and expecting a drop-off in KC, but we didn't get it.  They look as dangerous as ever.

Miami is for real and will be our toughest division competition this year.

NE looks lost; you can literally SEE the physical/athletic limitations to Mac Jones' game when you watch him play.

I still think our toughest test is KC.

10 minutes ago, Gisele said:

I'm sorry, I don't do impressions... my training is in psychiatry.

Of course.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I was hoping for and expecting a drop-off in KC, but we didn't get it.  They look as dangerous as ever.

Miami is for real and will be our toughest division competition this year.

NE looks lost; you can literally SEE the physical/athletic limitations to Mac Jones' game when you watch him play.

I still think our toughest test is KC.

Of course.

Miami is not "for real." 

• Disagree 1

Carr with Adams looked terrible. Yeah they hooked up and got some stats, but he had tunnel vision and constantly forced it to him. It seemed more about getting Adams his targets and not about throwing to the open man. When Bosa and Mack are teeing off you might wanna consider Renfrow 5 yards out instead of Adams 35 yards out in triple coverage. 
Daboll has some stones.. He was just chewing out Jones for the pick in the end zone and next drive 4th and 2 let Jones keep it and convert. Then going for the 2, just big ole stones. Maybe those Giants repeat our playoff Tyrod year when we really had no business backing into the playoffs.. 

Oh almost forgot Tennessee. Henry looks like he can’t cut to the right, he kept doing this little hop and got flattened a couple times for it. They didn’t look nowhere near as physical in years past. I had some worries they’d grind us but I’m not too worried after seeing them

Edited by Rc2catch

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.