Ken Dorsey presser 9/12

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

This seems to be a common belief; however, none of this actually happened in the Rams game.

Technically, it's true.  The Bills had 4 plays on offense after going up 21 on the Diggs TD.  Allen technically carried on 2 of them (1 Motor, 1 Moss)

I grant your point that the perception that the Bills were running Josh with a big lead is incorrect.  In fact, the Bills went into the 4Q only leading by 1 score.

It was on their 2nd scoring drive of the 2 half that Josh Allen was the leading rusher - 4 rushes to 3 by Moss.  One of these was a particularly vicious run where Ramsey and a teammate were "scissoring" Josh and it frankly looked as though they might be trying to hurt him.  I think it's safe to say the game would have ended differently if they succeeded.  Were the 3 yards on 2nd and 10 worth it?  Was there no other way to get them?

There was an additional run in the next TD drive, with the Bills up 2 scores.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

Technically, it's true.  The Bills had 4 plays on offense after going up 21 on the Diggs TD.  Allen technically carried on 2 of them (1 Motor, 1 Moss)

I grant your point that the perception that the Bills were running Josh with a big lead is incorrect.  In fact, the Bills went into the 4Q only leading by 1 score.

It was on their 2nd scoring drive of the 2 half that Josh Allen was the leading rusher - 4 rushes to 3 by Moss.  One of these was a particularly vicious run where Ramsey and a teammate were "scissoring" Josh and it frankly looked as though they might be trying to hurt him.  I think it's safe to say the game would have ended differently if they succeeded.  Were the 3 yards on 2nd and 10 worth it?  Was there no other way to get them?

There was an additional run in the next TD drive, with the Bills up 2 scores.

I am in full agreement that I don't want Allen being the leading rusher on the team and I definitely want him to minimize unnecessary contact. In an ideal world, my preference would be that he would only run when scrambling on pass plays that break down, with room to run, and to get down or out of bounds before contact.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You are certainly correct that there is rarely ever any point in "worrying".............some are definitely worried........I am not...........if Josh Allen quit playing football today I'd still be on to the Titans game tomorrow.

I asked another poster this question and he didn't reply: It's one thing to "worry" as we discuss Josh's style of play but I'm very curious what Bills fans feel when they see him pull the ball down and start running downfield. Personally my heart is in my throat and has stopped beating. Also, I'm holding my breath.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Here's a second question for good measure: When Josh throws an interception, do we want him to try to tackle the ball carrier?

8 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I am in full agreement that I don't want Allen being the leading rusher on the team and I definitely want him to minimize unnecessary contact. In an ideal world, my preference would be that he would only run when scrambling on pass plays that break down, with room to run, and to get down or out of bounds before contact.

I think Josh has to run in situations like the goal-line 3rd and 4.  Kurt Warner showed a breakdown of that play and how the Rams really did a great job at coverage, but left no one on Josh.  He has to make them pay for that, and put it into other team's heads that they MUST account for Josh. 

But he doesn't need to be making a point to Jalen Ramsey "nah nah it's 2nd and 10 and I'm not gonna just get back to the LOS and get down, I'm going to force 3 yds and a bag of ***** on you"

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Everybody who works with Josh is gonna be a hot name

It goes both ways. Any offensive coach that works with Allen will get a career boost, but also good offensive coaches will want to be a part of this offense. The reports from the offseason were that Dorsey had plenty of offers and wasn't going to just go anywhere. If Dorsey eventually gets hired away to be a head coach we will have no issues finding a more than capable replacement. That's the elite QB effect.

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It goes both ways. Any offensive coach that works with Allen will get a career boost, but also good offensive coaches will want to be a part of this offense. The reports from the offseason were that Dorsey had plenty of offers and wasn't going to just go anywhere. If Dorsey eventually gets hired away to be a head coach we will have no issues finding a more than capable replacement. That's the elite QB effect.

Wouldn’t be surprising if Joe Brady is next in line and McD just keeps promoting from within 

9 hours ago, Buddo said:

For sure. 

Perhaps the difference with Dorsey, is that people who have worked with him throughout his career, e.g. Greg Olsen, have talked him up.

Sometimes people are just simply good at what they do, and all the favourable circumstances, merely highlight that.

Its obviously too soon to be sure with Dorsey, but I am quietly optimistic. 😉

Listen I don’t think Dorsey is a bad coach… But Just like bills fans hype up undrafted rookies to crazy proportions

The same thing happens with coaches

The way people talk about Dorsey you would think he’s the second coming of Vince Lombardi… He’s A good coach working with the best player in the world

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Listen I don’t think Dorsey is a bad coach… But Just like bills fans hype up undrafted rookies to crazy proportions

The same thing happens with coaches

The way people talk about Dorsey you would think he’s the second coming of Vince Lombardi… He’s A good coach working with the best player in the world

The other thing that's driving me crazy is he's won one game.

One.  Game.

Now granted I liked a lot of the detail I saw, but we also failed to get anyone open a couple of time (which may be scheme), leading to Josh runs.

Can we wait until he at least wins 3, hopefully in the 3rd or 4th week of the season, before we annoint him as "Hot Stuff Next Big Thing COTY"?

Even Vince Lombardi wasn't Vince Lombardi after One.  Game.

Edited by Beck Water

5 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I asked another poster this question and he didn't reply: It's one thing to "worry" as we discuss Josh's style of play but I'm very curious what Bills fans feel when they see him pull the ball down and start running downfield. Personally my heart is in my throat and has stopped beating. Also, I'm holding my breath.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Here's a second question for good measure: When Josh throws an interception, do we want him to try to tackle the ball carrier?

When Josh tucks and runs.......I am just all in on it being a big play........I am not worried about injury.

I was disappointed that he wasn't able to get in the clear on any of his runs........it was surprising/notable seeing him get caught and have to struggle and take more punishment than normal for yardage that he often has gotten with ease in the past.

And I have never even thought about whether Allen should try to tackle the ball carrier after an INT.

To me it's about making conscious decisions ahead of time to prevent yourself from making bad decisions in the moment.........running the ball 10x is far too much wear and tear for one game.   As McDermott intimated.......it's probably going to be on Dorsey to call more plays where Allen isn't going to be enticed to run.  

As caught up in the moment as we all get in the opener........that was arguably the least important game on their schedule strategically.......an NFC road game.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

When Josh tucks and runs.......I am just all in on it being a big play........I am not worried about injury.

And I have never even thought about whether Allen should try to tackle the ball carrier after an INT.

To me it's about making conscious decisions ahead of time to prevent yourself from making bad decisions in the moment....

I'm not by any means a faint-hearted person but...

When Josh runs I get a bit distressed. As he approaches contact I get more nervous. If he's in a scrum I'm damn near freaking out.

As for tackling after throwing an interception I'm against Josh doing so though knowing him as a football player, I wouldn't be surprised if he tried for the tackle.

While I despise the anorexic metrosexual who plays QB for Tampa Bay I wouldn't hold it against Josh if he followed the coaching to avoid contact at all costs in that particular situation.

On 9/12/2022 at 1:33 PM, Logic said:

I know it's ridiculous for me to think such things so early, but...

Friday morning, I was driving to work thinking "I hope we get Dorsey for more than one season before someone hires him away to be head coach".

That may seem like a crazy idea, but hiring the en vogue young offensive mind from a contender seems to be more and more common in recent hiring cycles. If Dorsey keeps calling great games and the Bills offense balls out this year, it's not crazy to think Dorsey could get some interviews.

I know, I know...cart way before the horse on this one. 

Josh Allen is going to make a lot of offensive coaches look like geniuses. I think Dorsey will shine with #17 and vice verse.  Oh I think he'll get interviews alright. I know we are ahead of ourselves. but as your name infers. to me it is a very logical albeit future potential situation

m

8 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

He really needs to save that kind of abandon for playoffs and truly must win games. I'm sure the coaching staff knows this. Josh knows it, but his competitive spirit gets the best of him. But it's just not wise and unnecessary. We are good enough to win most games without the risky stuff. (But absolutely "no", I can't agree with you about "if Josh Allen quit playing football today." It may be casual entertainment to you, but I can't be a fan with that measure of indifference.)

I don't worry at all about things that are out of the organization's control.   A player retiring is just that.

But it's not casual entertainment to me..........quite the opposite........few on here put more effort into understanding the product and what to expect than I do........starting from following college recruiting closely all the way up to details about the Bills organization itself that some find to be minutia(but aren't).

And when you have a good understanding of the potential/likely/reasonable outcomes.........you aren't paralyzed with emotion when adversity related to organizational choices/decisions happen.

As you may have noticed it really irritates the blindfolded thumb-suckers on here when I discuss things like roster weaknesses during the offseason...........but the reality is THAT is the time to debate these things.   Once the season starts it's often too late for the team to do much about it.

23 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't worry at all about things that are out of the organization's control.   A player retiring is just that.

But it's not casual entertainment to me..........quite the opposite........few on here put more effort into understanding the product and what to expect than I do........starting from following college recruiting closely all the way up to details about the Bills organization itself that some find to be minutia(but aren't).

And when you have a good understanding of the potential/likely/reasonable outcomes.........you aren't paralyzed with emotion when adversity related to organizational choices/decisions happen.

As you may have noticed it really irritates the blindfolded thumb-suckers on here when I discuss things like roster weaknesses during the offseason...........but the reality is THAT is the time to debate these things.   Once the season starts it's often too late for the team to do much about it.

you know badolbilz I was right with you in the beginning and even the final sentence. But you just cannot help yourself. Always the bolded arrogant dig towards posters that may not agree with  you assessments. Come on man whats up with that. I mean there's little question you know a lot about football and the game ...the lofty perch you post from isnt your best look though  just sayin'. You could ease up on the insults. But its a free chatboard. You'll do you I have no doubt.

• Like (+1) 1

Get use to Josh running.  Its part of his game and as he said himself he is going to play football the way he wants to.  The 4th qtr run was a play action pass.  Josh said Davis got open late and Josh saw a lane and already tucked the ball by that time.  Josh said he would rather take a sack at that point then to throw the ball away because the goal was to keep the clock running.  For reference, this is what Josh said on the Basement pod cast when asked by a fan who said something like "is running in the 4th qtr up 3 tds reall necessary?"

Get use to it.  This is how Josh plays football.  No amount of fan worry and anger is going to change that.  You can all worry and be mad and piss and moan every week about it but this is who Josh is.  This is the way he plays football.  He will be fine.

Edited by Scott7975

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.